Thread: Hair loss/ itching

Default Hair loss/ itching

Hey all, quick question. Just the last week or two I have noticed Susie is itching a lot and even scraping an itch with her mouth resulting in a small amount of hair to fall out, she doesn't have so much hair loss that I notice any bald patches but there is little hair fluffs around her cage. Is this her shedding her winter coat or is there something else going on? I give her coconut oil regularly so I don't think it's due to dry skin and she has a very healthy diet so I don't think it's her diet that's causing it either. Any thought are very appreciated!

Default Re: Hair loss/ itching

Quote Originally Posted by anicol View Post
    Hey all, quick question. Just the last week or two I have noticed Susie is itching a lot and even scraping an itch with her mouth resulting in a small amount of hair to fall out, she doesn't have so much hair loss that I notice any bald patches but there is little hair fluffs around her cage. Is this her shedding her winter coat or is there something else going on? I give her coconut oil regularly so I don't think it's due to dry skin and she has a very healthy diet so I don't think it's her diet that's causing it either. Any thought are very appreciated!
    As far as scraping her mouth, is she still on formula? Formula left on the fur will cause irritation and fur loss.
    It needs to be washed off after each feeding if this is the case.
    When it comes to excessive itching I'd personally would be treating for parasites. We recommend Revolution.
    All one needs is (only)1-2 drops between the shoulders, repeat in 10 days. If it is a parasite Revolution will
    handle it including mites that you will not be able to see. If it is not, treating will not hurt the squirrel.
    What is the age of this baby? I personally do not treat babies with one spot treatments until they are at least
    5 weeks old.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (04-20-2017), Mel1959 (04-20-2017)

Hey sorry you must not be familiar with Susie she is 1 year old! So no formula! Should I treat her and where can I get it from

Can you post a photo that would be really helpful.
    Kiss that little girl for me.

There's honestly nothing to post! She looks normal just constantly itching like a dog does and then she'll suddenly get an itch around her back legs mostly and use her mouth to itch it and she'll usually come up with a little hair ball. But no visible hair loss on her coat

You could treat her for fleas. I think the folks here recommend Revolution, but not completely sure.

Good luck!

Hey sorry you must not be familiar with Susie she is 1 year old! So no formula! Should I treat her and where can I get it from
    I would treat her and cover your bases.
    Revolution is Rx, unless you (or friends) have gotten some from a vet for
    their kittens or pups and would share a little you can order it on line from
    Joe's pet meds: http://www.joespetmeds.com/ Shipping is pretty fast.
    You want to get the one for Puppies and kittens up to 2.5kg - pink pack
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (04-21-2017)

Thank you!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to anicol from:

stepnstone (04-20-2017)

Any Canadians know any other brands?? Its going to cost me $40USD - $54 CAN plus shipping and custom fees....is there not one for kittens I can just buy at my pet store here?

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to anicol from:

Mel1959 (04-21-2017)

Anything you can get at a pet store is NOT recommended, like Hartz and Frontline and other common name products? It could be quite harmful to Susie and not worth the chance. The cost of the Rx flea control meds ARE expensive. The only other thing you could do is call around to a vet to see if someone will sell you a single pipette of Revolution for kittens. I believe the package you would get if you ordered it has 3 pipettes in it, not just one.

I am speaking from the US side and don't know if there could be an over the counter product available in Canada. We do have some Canadian members that might be able to answer that. If no one has the answer on this thread you could start a new thread titled "Looking for acceptable topical flea meds in Canada" or something like that so Canadian members could spot it and reply. Please don't just get something over the counter and use it without knowing it is safe.

Hope this helps.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

anicol (04-21-2017), Nancy in New York (04-21-2017)

That's fine then I'm not willing to take a risk with Susie I'll just order the revolution. Thank you 😁

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    As far as scraping her mouth, is she still on formula? Formula left on the fur will cause irritation and fur loss.
    It needs to be washed off after each feeding if this is the case.
    When it comes to excessive itching I'd personally would be treating for parasites. We recommend Revolution.
    All one needs is (only)1-2 drops between the shoulders, repeat in 10 days. If it is a parasite Revolution will
    handle it including mites that you will not be able to see. If it is not, treating will not hurt the squirrel.
    What is the age of this baby? I personally do not treat babies with one spot treatments until they are at least
    5 weeks old.

Is this the right stuff?? And how much do I give her just 1-2 drops? Vet thinks it's for a kitten and said 1 vial and repeat in 30 days Name:  IMG_8203.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  87.8 KB

Is this the right stuff?? And how much do I give her just 1-2 drops? Vet thinks it's for a kitten and said 1 vial and repeat in 30 days Name:  IMG_8203.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  87.8 KB
    That is the right stuff.
    Just apply 1-2 drops, reapply in 10 days.
    Seal off the tip of the pipette to store it for later use.
    I seal mine off by using a drip of hot wax, then wrap in
    Aluminum foil or Saran wrap.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (04-30-2017)