Thread: Biting, Nibbling or Playing

Default Biting, Nibbling or Playing

Girl Squirrel (Fox 6wks) has been "teething" my hands and fingers. I am nervous about this thinking it may lead to biting, similar to puppies. My Granddaughter who Squirrel Girl loves, tells me, "Nana she is not biting, she is sucking on my fingers.

Can someone give me some insight on this behavior? I am just not sure what the right reaction should be or not be?
    Squirrel Regards
    Defender of Girl Squirrel the Adventurer
    Daily Photos https://twitter.com/squirrelmyworld

Default Re: Biting, Nibbling or Playing

I will have to say it is nothing to worry about. This is something that squirrels do. They are mouthy in general and that will not lead to biting. Play wrestling will include light play biting and so on. The Play biting when they wrestle is just apart of play and does not go farther than that.

Sometimes they will nibble and then lick your fingers. Even when playing, they might stop to just lick you.

Will you describe with a little more detail about this behavior you are concerned with? I might be able to tell you if it is play or just her bonding with you.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Salsa:

Anne (04-17-2017), cava (04-16-2017)

Hi Salsa,

I would describe it as light exploratory. I was just not sure if it would go beyond that.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. Of course my 3 year old knew it was just playing. LOLOl
    Squirrel Regards
    Defender of Girl Squirrel the Adventurer
    Daily Photos https://twitter.com/squirrelmyworld

Just what I thought. Nothing to be worried about.

At night when Ember, puts her self to bed, I will stop by and stick my hand in her nest to give her scratches and pets. She will most always grab my fingers with her mouth and then groom my hand , licking and so on. She will also move around to find a good comfortable spot to lie down and let me scratch her belly all while doing this. If I take my hand out, she quickly sticks her head out of the portal with the expression of "where did you go?".

Sometimes during play, she will use her teeth on my fingers; pushing on them like she is hiding nuts.

Hope all this helps.