Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Altadena, CA
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 1

    Default Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Hello,

    I am caring for a ~10 week old fox squirrel. When he came to me he was suffering a tail injury, was listless and underweight. After a week of antibiotics (.05cc Clavamox, 2x day), Alvin is gaining weight steadily and looks good in most regards. The new problem is hair loss on his face and forearms. At first I attributed this to spilled formula during feedings, as I wasn't very tidy at first. However, the hair loss is accelerating and I'm getting worried.

    Alvin is now 180g, and drinking 8-15cc of Esbilac 3 x day. He is eating Zupreen biscuits, kale, fennel, sweet potato, egg and ground eggshell as well as veggie puree baby food. He has twigs and pinecones available to nibble, as well as a cuddlefish bone. I have just recently (today), removed an electric blanket from his nest box. It was wrapped in towels and on "low". His indoor cage is 2'x2'x3.5' with hammocks and branches. He climbs around it less than I expect, preferring to spend most of his time in the nest box.

    The now exposed skin is reddish in places and looks a little inflamed.

    Any thoughts ? Am I seeing a fungal infection due to too much moisture and warmth ? Maybe mites ? I don't suspect calcium deficiency in his diet, but welcome thoughts and suggestions.

    A little background: Alvin was originally rescued by a friend as a ~4 week old, along with a nestmate. They were found on the ground after a tree was trimmed. The nestmate died at 6 weeks, and Alvin moved to my house at 7.5 weeks. At that point he was 70g. The tail injury happened somehow during transfer to my house.

    I am not an experienced wildlife rehabilitator, but have successfully raised wild baby parrots for release in the past.

    Thanks much !
    Louise

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,279
    Thanked: 10725

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Quote Originally Posted by lahamlin View Post
    Hello,

    I am caring for a ~10 week old fox squirrel. When he came to me he was suffering a tail injury, was listless and underweight. After a week of antibiotics (.05cc Clavamox, 2x day), Alvin is gaining weight steadily and looks good in most regards. The new problem is hair loss on his face and forearms. At first I attributed this to spilled formula during feedings, as I wasn't very tidy at first. However, the hair loss is accelerating and I'm getting worried.

    Alvin is now 180g, and drinking 8-15cc of Esbilac 3 x day. He is eating Zupreen biscuits, kale, fennel, sweet potato, egg and ground eggshell as well as veggie puree baby food. He has twigs and pinecones available to nibble, as well as a cuddlefish bone. I have just recently (today), removed an electric blanket from his nest box. It was wrapped in towels and on "low". His indoor cage is 2'x2'x3.5' with hammocks and branches. He climbs around it less than I expect, preferring to spend most of his time in the nest box.

    The now exposed skin is reddish in places and looks a little inflamed.

    Any thoughts ? Am I seeing a fungal infection due to too much moisture and warmth ? Maybe mites ? I don't suspect calcium deficiency in his diet, but welcome thoughts and suggestions.

    A little background: Alvin was originally rescued by a friend as a ~4 week old, along with a nestmate. They were found on the ground after a tree was trimmed. The nestmate died at 6 weeks, and Alvin moved to my house at 7.5 weeks. At that point he was 70g. The tail injury happened somehow during transfer to my house.

    I am not an experienced wildlife rehabilitator, but have successfully raised wild baby parrots for release in the past.

    Thanks much !
    Louise

    My first thought was formula scald, the second questions sap from the pine cone.
    I suppose it may be possible to be parasite but not the usual pattern one could
    expect to see. Can you post a picture for a better evaluation.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Altadena, CA
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Name:  IMG_7556Alvin_hair2.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  73.3 KBName:  Alvin_hair4.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  84.9 KBName:  Alvin_hair5.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  70.6 KB

    Thanks much - here are a few photos (sorry that they are sideways). You can see that the hair loss also extends to his belly.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,279
    Thanked: 10725

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Quote Originally Posted by lahamlin View Post
    Thanks much - here are a few photos (sorry that they are sideways). You can see that the hair loss also extends to his belly.
    I can also see it's starting down his legs too...
    A bit confusing as it suggests mange but the exposed skin doesn't appear as one would expect with mange.
    I'd be inclined to treat him for the mite parasites anyway, if it is it'll take care of the issue if not treatment is not
    going to harm him. Can you get hold of any Revolution preferably for kittens & puppies. All you would need is one
    (pipettes) and place 1-2 drops between the shoulders, repeat in 10 days.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    lahamlin (04-17-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Altadena, CA
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Would Frontline work ?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,915
    Thanked: 4378

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Quote Originally Posted by lahamlin View Post
    Would Frontline work ?
    No to the Frontline, you need Revolution.

  8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

    lahamlin (04-17-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Nancy in New York (04-17-2017)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Altadena, CA
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    No to the Frontline, you need Revolution.
    I've struck out on finding the Revolution or Advantage multi. Does anyone have a source to buy a single dose ?

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,915
    Thanked: 4378

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Quote Originally Posted by lahamlin View Post
    Hi, sorry to ask so many questions. My vet offered Advantage II, but I can't tell if that is an acceptable choice. From a quick internet check it looks like Advantage multi has a different ingredient and protects against mites - do I need that ?
    As far as I know Revolution is the only recommended flea, tick, mites medication.
    Asking questions is a good thing, no need to apologize.
    My internet is really bad today and that's why my answer was so short.
    I'm not an expert and don't really know much about the reason behind it, someone else might be able to explain.

  11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

    lahamlin (04-17-2017)

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    6,181
    Thanked: 8764

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Advantage Multi does treat fleas, ticks and lice BUT it has an additional ingredient that treats hookworm, whipworm and roundworm. If your little one doesn't have intestinal parasites, I don't think I'd use it.

    Kitten Revolution is tried and true. I'm not sure, but it might be able to be purchased online without a Rx.

  13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

    lahamlin (04-17-2017), lukaslolamaus (04-17-2017), Nancy in New York (04-17-2017)

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,725
    Thanked: 21044

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

    Kitten Revolution is tried and true. I'm not sure, but it might be able to be purchased online without a Rx.

    Here you go.
    Get the one for puppies and kittens up to 5 lbs.
    http://www.joespetmeds.com/flea-cont...-cats-dogs.htm

  15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    lahamlin (04-17-2017), lukaslolamaus (04-17-2017)

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    6,181
    Thanked: 8764

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Quote Originally Posted by lahamlin View Post
    I've struck out on finding the Revolution or Advantage multi. Does anyone have a source to buy a single dose ?
    Ok, this is a long shot. Try calling Ravenwood Vet Clinic 386-788-1550. Dr Alicia Emerson treats squirrels. Explain your situation to the girls at the front desk, and that you are a member of TSB, and see if Dr. Emerson would be willing to either send the medication or fax the Rx to a vet in your area. Make sure you know of a vet that carries the KITTEN Revolution, not all vets do.

    Ravenwwod Vet clinic is in Florida, so Eastern time zone.

    Nancy In New York comes through again! Thank you.

  17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

    lukaslolamaus (04-17-2017), Nancy in New York (04-17-2017)

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Altadena, CA
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Hairloss in 10 week old orphan

    Thank you Nancy, and everyone !! Med ordered, a thousand thanks for the help !!

  19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lahamlin from:

    lukaslolamaus (04-17-2017)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •