Thread: Cat Dog Squirrel Release

Default Cat Dog Squirrel Release

I learned a little late that having dog and cats around squirrels you intend to release a little late. The justification was sound at the time, which was to ensure the Squirrels survival in a house with 5 cats and 2 dogs.

The following takes place in my Master Bedroom, where 3 dogs and 1 cat have access.

To modify the situation for long term, I ended direct contact between the species. The Lab and Chihuahua pay no attention to the Squirrel (that will change one she is jetting around because she will look like a play toy), the German Shepherd (Sam) is intensely stressed she can not mother the squirrel, but she is now commanded to keep her distance. However she is constantly coming over whenever the squirrel makes any noise.

The change with the Shepherds is paying off, because I now notice Girl Squirrel getting stressed (shaking) when the Sam comes forward. Maybe it is because I am using a base tone to tell her to leave, or it may even been the trumatic memory of a huge tongue stroking Girl Squirrel and a wet nose nudging her. Who knows, but I am happy she is tensing up.

The CAT which is actually still a kitten (LeeLoo is 10 mons) is a gift from my husband who does not like cats. The other cats belong to my adult children, and not a factor or concern.

Now I have also actively kept the cat away from Girl Squirrel, and except few pray crawls I have discouraged any type of bond. However, I notice Girl Squirrel does not show any fear at the times LeeLoo does do her pray crawls, or even sits at a medium distance, purrs and stares intensely at her. Now the other day I came in and the Leeloos' paw was literally stuck in one of the holes, and Girl Squirrel was playing the paw. Leeloo of course was not happy and she actually injured her leg.

Sigh!

Girl Squirrel is now 7 weeks old. Which means I have approximately 9 weeks to teach Girl Squirrel that cats and dogs are not in her best interest. I have even started making animated movements which ends with her being covered by my body while I attempt to remove Sam or LeeLoo out of viewing. Dont laugh but I am even trying to record the sound Squirrel warning sounds instead of my animation of protection.

Girl Squirrel still rely's on milk and is next to my bed secured in a large tote. I have been introducing to different foods for a while now, and practicing with her to sit up and eat. Unfortunately she hasnt grasped that concept yet. And meanwhile, I have been making her a secure out door enclosure that will go on our wrap around porch and finally lead to a grouping of trees I hope to be her home.

With all that being said, has anyone successfully raise a squirrel to release with a household of pets and family members? Is so could you please give me realistic tips to help.

Updated Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/3EhZpeN4DfkQGyqb6
    Squirrel Regards
    Defender of Girl Squirrel the Adventurer
    Daily Photos https://twitter.com/squirrelmyworld

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to awolf from:

Shewhosweptforest (04-15-2017)

Default Re: Cat Dog Squirrel Release

I have dogs and three adults in my home (adult child) also, grandchildren who visit none of this has hampered any of my releases....the squirrels do see the dogs...but I don't allow any contact...this being said I do have a released squirrel who was suppose to be nonreleaseable, for that reason her cage would be in the living room sometime during the day....and the dogs would sniff the cage ...even sit and sleep next to the cage...my squirrel, Nougie, was not startled by them at all she ended up being released (long story) and she acts like a normal wild squirrel...she would never come near my dogs outside...of course my dogs aren't outside unless they're with me. From my experience a healthy, normal squirrel will revert back to their wild instincts once put out in the great big outdoors...that's my experience....I don't think that's a bad idea playing alert calls when the cat is around...especially since the cat doesn't frighten her. But, at her young age, if you keep her contact down now....I believe she will forget her comfort and begin to have the appropriate fear
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

awolf (04-15-2017), cava (04-15-2017), Mel1959 (04-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    I have dogs and three adults in my home (adult child) also, grandchildren who visit none of this has hampered any of my releases....the squirrels do see the dogs...but I don't allow any contact...this being said I do have a released squirrel who was suppose to be nonreleaseable, for that reason her cage would be in the living room sometime during the day....and the dogs would sniff the cage ...even sit and sleep next to the cage...my squirrel, Nougie, was not startled by them at all she ended up being released (long story) and she acts like a normal wild squirrel...she would never come near my dogs outside...of course my dogs aren't outside unless they're with me. From my experience a healthy, normal squirrel will revert back to their wild instincts once put out in the great big outdoors...that's my experience....I don't think that's a bad idea playing alert calls when the cat is around...especially since the cat doesn't frighten her. But, at her young age, if you keep her contact down now....I believe she will forget her comfort and begin to have the appropriate fear
    Thank you very much for your experience.
    Squirrel Regards

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to awolf from:

Shewhosweptforest (04-15-2017)

I also have other animals in my home, two cats and two dogs. The dogs, a Chihuahua and a Boston Terrier don't give Ben the time of day. Ben can yell at them and they won't even look at him or stop what they are doing. One cat, Exotic Shorthair, has stopped twice in eight months to take a look but nothing more. The other cat, F2 Jungle Hybrid, is a whole other story! I think she dreams of ways to eat Ben! We do everything in our power to keep them separate but the cat is extremely sneaky. We have resorted to putting the cat in one room while transferring Ben's cage thru the house. My husband first purchased a nerf machine gun with an additional 400 bullets to stand guard. What a joke! The cat loves the attention and thinks it's a game catching the foam bullets! We are so very careful to keep everyone separated but I know if we slip up just once Ben will be killed. Even if your cats are totally indoor cats, like mine, you need to watch them closely after you release you fur baby. My F2 ran between my legs a month or so ago and got outside, first time ever outside. Within in twenty minutes she killed two animals and laid them in front of the door. One was a five week old red squirrel. I can't begin to tell you how sick I was. Long story short, really watch all your pets closely and keep them separated, it only takes one slipup to cause heartache and death of a squirrel...

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to gunpackingrandma:

island rehabber (04-15-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Nancy in New York (04-16-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-15-2017)

Gunpackingrandma

Thank you so much for that insight.

Speaking of cats and nurf guns. My daughter had a Perisan cat who died from a nurf dart. Now mind you the Persian was as dumb as they come, but we have never forgotten that horrible expensive lesson. My Chihuahua, is actually on protest about the squirrel. I am actually shocked about that one because he just will do anything for my attention. Not right now, he wont even look at Girl Squirrel.

I love my cats, but dont trust them for anything.
    Squirrel Regards

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to awolf from:

gunpackingrandma (04-17-2017)

So sorry to hear about your kitty...Will you please explain what happened? Now I'm worried about my Exotic Shorthair. She is a retired Grand Champion with an extreme face. She is six years old and has never shown any interest in playing with the darts but if there is any danger for her I will tell my husband his shooting days are over... Too funny about your Chihuahua, mine is the same way. She sits outside the door and cries while I'm playing with Ben. She doesn't like anyone taking attention away from her...Hope you can find a happy balance with you furry household...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Sorry for the delayed reply.

My daughter got the Persian to show, so yours just with long hair. Anyways, he literally swallowed the entire Nerf dart. The Persian lines are weak in the first place, so that may have had something to do with it, but it was just an unfortunate event you wouldn't expect to happen.
    Squirrel Regards

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to awolf from:

gunpackingrandma (04-24-2017)

Thank you for sharing. So sorry... I am going to keep a real close count on the nerf bullets...Fortunately my Exotic Shorthair doesn't show any interest in playing with mice not alone the bullets..