Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding rehabber who will support non releasable squirrels to be cared for

Default Need help finding rehabber who will support non releasable squirrels to be cared for

I'm looking for rehabber contact in my area that is not against rehabbing and supporting, if needs be, non-releasable squirrels in captivity. The rehabbers here are against having any squirrel that should turn out to be not releasable, to be cared for in captivity. What I was told by the local rehabber most recently , who has helped our yard squirrels in the past who were sick or injured, is that she no longer are any exceptions to keeping non releasable alive, having done so in the past. In addition, she sought to justify this by asking me whether I would sacrifice the many releasables, for the few non-releasables, saying it is cage space and time is a premium. Since having seen a number of tree squirrels that are truly non- releasable, but otherwise happy and active, playful with their caregivers, being afforded a good quality of life by their caregivers, I can't see euthanasia as out of hand acceptable. I replied saying I wouldn't sacrifice either for the other, rather that I'm in support of seeking out others that can care for these non releasables, which have the potential of living for many more years cared for in captivity. And though I well realize that not all rehabbers have the time and/or resources to do this, as such work can be daunting no doubt with forty neonates to care for in addition to the ones being readied for release, through the help of myself and others, the goal of finding homes and providing a habitat support cage for these animals with special needs, when a rehabber is truly unable to care for them themselves long term, should be supported.

if there are any here be able to help me find a contact in my area, that could render aid in the event a squirrel in my yard is seriously injured, or becomes seriously ill; and is also willing to see the animal supported in captivity, should it turns out to be a non releasable after care, please contact me at my email: Squirlsrus@msn.com

Thank you, Diggie's Friend (In support of squirrels with special needs)

(Diggie is our 9 year old yard squirrel, our dear friend. Her health is now failing, yet we believe she may still have babies to care for)

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Lighten-Up (04-15-2017), Mel1959 (04-15-2017), Rockysmom (05-21-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-14-2017)

Default Re: Need help finding rehabber who will support non releasable squirrels to be cared

Wow, thank you for your compassion it saddens me that sometimes it comes down to convenience whether a living being will be given a chance it's also disheartening that rehabbers become over worked and stressed...and lose their heart

I don't know of anyone in your area...but, others might rest assured that if your nine year old yard squirrel ever needs help...we will be here for you

Thank you for caring
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shewhosweptforest from:

Mel1959 (04-15-2017)

Default Re: Need help finding rehabber who will support non releasable squirrels to be cared

Well put, and concise as to the issue, it is sad.

Diggie I am sad to report is likely going to pass soon. I got her to eat some today, but not much. She could barely hold up her head as it was, but somehow makes her way around. It seems that her time has come.

She first came to our yard as a juvenile, playing on the law with her tail. I called out to her and each time I did she stopped and then played once more with her tail. Over the years she was a shy squirrel, not as others that had followed me about the yard, yet in time she became more friendly, yet never lost her healthy fear of man, which is a good thing that helped her to stay alive on her own. She has had two litters for most of her years here. The last few years we were able to get photos of her and her brood, with three babies a year ago. Last summer she had no babies; it was very hot here and dehydration may have taken its toll on her, then the rains set a record for rainfall. This season a neighbor said she saw her with her young'uns, but so far we haven't seen them come out. We don't know that will come of her babies if she passes; yet there is no way to get to them save they come out and the next isn't directly adjacent to our yard. There are many of her nexts in and around our yard that are hers, she having made this area her territory. She was once feisty and drove off all others out of the yard and her territory adjacent to it, save her young; but now she has beome the little ol lady squirrel so gentle, she accepted me some years back to take food from my hand, and at times has allowed me to pet her tummy while she is eating. She has never bitten, or acted aggressive toward us, not demanding food, but always been a lady about that, coming out with her double paw tuck cuteness or leaning over in anticipation on the wall as I walk up with the nuts. I don't know if I can post photos here, but I will try so you can see her and her babies.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Diggie's Friend; 04-15-2017 at 12:59 AM. Reason: more typos found, and a few more things to add

6. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (04-15-2017), gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), Lighten-Up (04-15-2017), Nancy in New York (04-15-2017), PennyCash (05-19-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-15-2017), Stevesmama (10-17-2023), TubeDriver (05-19-2017)

Offering her some healthy food, like Henrys Healthy Blocks, might make a difference in her overall health. Especially considering she's nursing and the pregnancies she's gone through. Two blocks a day provides the foundation for a healthy diet. Most squirrels like the picky eater blocks or the wild bite blocks.

There have been many members on here who have seen wonderful changes in their yard squirrels when their diet was supplemented with blocks and some healthy foods. Some other things you can try are avocado, coconut, greens, sweet potatoe, banana, oranges, sugar snap peas and ocassionally small chunks of corn on the cob. I will put these items out in a bowl for my yard squirrels a couple of times a week along with fresh water. I also offer Henrys blocks, especially to the females who may be pregnant or nursing.

Thank you for looking out for this little lady.

8. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Anne (04-15-2017), cava (04-15-2017), gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), island rehabber (04-15-2017), Lighten-Up (04-15-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-15-2017)

Diggie is beeeutiful....such a grand lady the fact that she has lived 9 years in the wild speaks volumes to her healthy make up....and the care her neighbors "you" have given along the way. I wouldn't be surprised, saddened, yes...if she was coming to the end of her journey. Nine is pretty much unheard of in the wild. I can't help but think since she became pregnant again, she must be in decent shape. Mel had some great ideas with supplementing her diet...you can also purchase high grade rodent blocks from exotic pet stores...crush them, add a little crushed calcium...even tums...stir in peanut butter and make a yummy boo ball I wouldn't hesitate giving her a small piece if corn daily....just because she is a wild and eats plenty of healthy squirrel diet food on a regular basis

Thanks again for watching over this special lil soul...and if something does happen to her...her babies will more than likely come down looking for help....they will come down for sure if old enough and could be coaxed into a have-a-heart trap with food this is doable if you can have the support of your neighbors

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Rexie (04-18-2017)

Thank you for your kind words. She is an old squirrel, having had litters bi-annually for many years. She likely has extreme arthritis now. Two seasons of bad weather in a row, with extreme heat and heavy rain like there hasn't been for 50 years, has taken its toll. Yesterday she could barely lift her head, and paws, leaning on her elbows touching the wall to eat, it took her 10 minutes to consume the avocado chunk we left, and then she only ate a small piece of walnut, took two bites on the orange slice, and then left. We left out nuts and fruit earlier and saw they were gone; we hope she ate that up.

Today we put out apple, and cocowater with superberry organic Aronia juice in a low crock dish. The Cocowater provides key minerals, a good source of potassium also. Cocowater, (this not the coconut juice) was once used in WWII in place of plasma, it contains electrolytes. The aronia juice is known to be a high level anti-inflammatory (helps with the arthritis), anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, and also balances blood sugar. She was having trouble getting down to the water fall basin now drink; at least she can have water if she comes.

We are concerned as to whether her babies survived, as her milk has been drying up this season early. We are going to let our neighbors know about her and her young ones. Should they see a squirrel down we hopefully can retrieve her and lay her to rest in our yard.

Our memories of her are many, her gentle spirit we will never forget, her soft touch when after years she accepted us, we could stroke under her chin. She has stood out from the rest and survived most of her young, being about 9 years of age. We called her Diggie, for that was what she did from the first time I spotted her playing on our law as a juvenile. We used to feed her on the ground, where she consumed minerals from the soil ingestion (geophagy). This is what we attribute to her having survived most of her young by many years. Sadly we listened to the rehabber that said not to feed them on the ground due to the cats; but the cats get up on the wall too. We plan to start putting out the food on the ground also, not just the wall, but will wait till after our dear ol sweet squirrel friend has passed, not wanting her to go there, as she can't manage well to get back up the wall. We put out walnut pieces with calcium powder sprinkled on them daily for all the yard squirrels.

We don't have oak trees in this area, which is why we put out the organic walnuts. We have orange trees, the juveniles go for the oranges eating a hole in them, then clean them out to the bottom. The Fox squirrels here were introduced nearby us on the West Coast just about a 100 years ago. Slowly they have spread out from that point till they reached our valley and beyond. They are only located though where there is sufficient water and food for them, otherwise they are abscent. We have other native wildlife here that includes raccoons, opossums, coyotes, and hawks, bobcats, and badgers. The native squirrels in this area are the California Ground Squirrel, which are in no short supply.

Thank you for your comments, Diggie's Friend

12. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), island rehabber (04-15-2017), Lighten-Up (04-15-2017), Mel1959 (04-15-2017), Rexie (04-18-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-15-2017), TubeDriver (05-19-2017)

I just spotted Ms. Diggie, she is the same, weak laying in the sun, not eating. Another squirrel got to her food we left out before she did, so we had to run off the competition with a harmless squirt bottle of water to ensure Diggie had access to the food that we then replaced. Now my hubby is out there guarding the food till Diggie hopefully comes back to eat it.

Just now he told me she came and ate and then drank allot of the cocowater with just a few drops of aronia in it. She also ate few pieces of nut. Then she drank more and jumped up into the tree adjacent to the corner of our yard where there is a large leaf nest, as she did the other day. She didn't touch the apple or avocado, but perhaps she'll do that after her nap. If we can get her rehydrated, she may recover. The cocowater is excellent for this purpose, and can be diluted after the first dose as not to push too much potassium daily, as it is high in this mineral. The tiny amount of aronia juice diluted in it makes it appetizing, as well as healthier; a real picker upper!

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), Mel1959 (04-15-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-15-2017)

Wow...I can't imagine a badger in the neighborhood I'll say it again Diggie's a lucky squirrel girl I hope if her end is near it's swift and peaceful and perhaps her last litter is weaned....or maybe your neighbors made a mistake and it wasn't her with littles whatever the outcome, nature is not easy on us....and thanks to y'all Diggie had some help in evening the odds

I'm very interested in the waters you were discussing...thank you for sharing

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shewhosweptforest from:

Mel1959 (04-17-2017)

That would be the Coconut water by Naked Juice; it tastes better than the Coco Libre brand. Diggie never had this before today, she really went for it, and came back again for more. Keep in mind it is high in potassium, so you will need to mix it with water. The amount of potassium is on the label, so measuring can be done.
    Amazon.com has this making it easy for everyone to get. Albertsons Market carries the cocowater, as does Whole Foods Market.

The Aronia is also available on Amazon.com about 37 dollars including shipping. It is concentrated stuff, my bottle lasted me a year.

I add 1-2 Tsp. of the aronia to a liter container of the cocowater for my own personal use, not for squirrels. I would add about 1/4 Tsp. to 1/8 cup water for the squirrels and about the same for the cocowater. Not a vet or rehabber, so I can't recommend a perfect amount for a squirrel in anothers care; asking someone here would be a good idea. It is really naturaly low in sugar, a perfect source of electrolytes without the excess sugar that unnatural sources include.

If links are permitted, someone please let me know? I will be glad to post there here for the convenience of the members if links are allowed.

Sorry haven't had time to look, been busy with Diggie

The badgers are in the foot hills adjacent to the valley, as are the bobcats, raccoons, and coyotes. The raccoons and coyotes come down the wash and end up running around the yards at night, looking for food, mostly gophers, that have taken over this part of the valley, ruining the lawns etc. The opossums tend to hang out in this area here and there. We had to move some back up to the hills a few times. The Ground squirrels hang out on rocky areas near the base of the foothills and along the wash. Funny to see them pop up on the flats adjacent to the train station.

Still hoping someone here can help me connect with a rehabber in my area, I am fine with them contacting me first. Sometimes one contact leads to another and so if they aren't so close they may still be able to help.

There is another female that is nursing, I saw her today. Thing is we saw her nipples change and she pulled out the fur around her ninnies, and the underside of her tail. She had them alright, yet whether they survived that we still do not yet know.

18. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (04-18-2017), gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-16-2017)

You can post helpful links what part of California are you located? We do have a few members in Northern California.....I believe you could request for an admin to put your location in the title....that may help finding someone also

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shewhosweptforest from:

Mel1959 (04-17-2017)

Update on Ms. Diggie. She came today, ate some nuts, not just a couple of tiny pieces this time. She even sat up fully for awhile as she ate. It seems her back is effected, bent over a bit after a couple of minutes, but not leaning on the wall as she has been. She jumped up in the tree to take a nest nap, but is having a hard time negotiating the tangle of branches with her back legs. It may be arthritis after all with dehydration, from her not wanting to get up and down a number of times getting drinks of water, as is her practice. I put out the coconut water, aronia juice, and water mixture again in a shallow dish on the top of the wall, and will continue to do so as long as she needs the assistance. There is hope.

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), Lighten-Up (04-17-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-16-2017)

I agree it's a good sign she came back for food and water....and was in better shape she may have an injury also....maybe a fall but they are such great healers and with your additional help....she has a fighting chance I know it's tough when they're this age....because you just don't know when it's the end...they hide their illnesses or declines sooo well

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Rexie (04-18-2017)

The Aronia berry juice lasts a long time, worth every penny! The coconut water is well accepted by the squirrels in our yard.

It is a good source of potassium, so dilute it by adding more water than cocowater. For example 3/16 cups (1/8 c + 1 Tbsp.) water, and 1 Tbsp. coconut water, and 1/4 Tsp. Aronia berry juice. See labels for more nutritional info.

As long as a squirrel gets more calcium daily than potassium, this should be ok for most animals.

Lower amounts of cocowater may be more appropriate for older animals that may have reduced kidney function. I learned this from my Mom who has reduced kidney function; she has to watch her intake of potassium daily on account of this condition; also her intake of sodium, so that it's lower than that of potassium.

Here are the links:

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Aroni.../dp/B0052MWPEK

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Cocon...ed+Juice&psc=1

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Rexie (04-18-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-16-2017)

Hi there!

Welcome! Squirrel friends of ALL sorts are welcome here. You have been a great support to your wild squirrel friend, Diggie.

I don't know any rehabbers in your area, but hopefully this thread will provide some ideas. Wild Squirrels (especially moms with kids) should be helped. No one should be ignored and not helped.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

cava (04-18-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-16-2017)

Thanks for the fuzzies folks!

I was thinking about what I noted for the amount of the mixture I used to help Diggie, and thought to clarify that what I noted for the amount of the coconut water and aronia juice mixture was not my estimate for a captive squirrel, nor a young orphan, but only my estimation for an adult wild squirrel that was dehydrated, and not eating well.

I wish I could have tested Diggie's urine to see where her urine pH was after she drank the mixture, as this would have shown if her urine pH was normal or high in pH. If then it had been high I could adjust the amount of potassium in it, by reducing the amount of cocowater by measure, the greater source of potassium, and by raising the water measure dilute it even further (distilled or zero water that are lower in pH) to lower the pH.

Though common sources for electrolytes for rehydration, like lactated ringers, are used by rehabbers and Vets, I had little choice but to use the one source I had on hand, having no car that day to go to the market for pedialyte. So, I grabbed the cocowater, that it is a good source of electrolytles, and added a small amount of aronia juice to it. I'm just so glad Diggle found it to her liking as well as she did, and that it seems to have given her a big lift.

30. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (04-18-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Rexie (04-18-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-17-2017)

You sound like you know what you're doing.

The Henrys Healthy Blocks would be a great nutritional addition.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Shewhosweptforest (04-17-2017)

As providence would have it, Diggie figured out where the food was coming from, and came up to our back steps to look for it. Oftentimes we opened the door there she was, having arrived before we got a chance to put food out for her and her juvenile young'uns. When we missed her while away, she would leave us a 'wee pee puddle' in protest for not being home when she came to get nuts at the time she had arrived. At the same time, I was concerned as to whether the amount of walnuts we put out daily was a healthy amount to complement the rest of her diet.

I learned from a commonly known study on the blood and urinary values of Gray squirrels, that notes what the mean and range of their urine pH was found to be, and thought to test oe of her freshly deposited wee pee puddles with paper litmus used for urine I had on hand. What I found was that the readings in a tight range of (6.2-6.6) were consistently the most common, the color of the paper strips ranging from mid to dark forest green then indicated. Less frequently I found the test strip to be teal, indicating a pH of 7.0 . Only very infrequently did I find the test strip to be purple, indicating a pH 7.5 up to 8.0. In all the testing this fox squirrel's turned out have the same mean of (6.5), as was the mean urine pH for gray squirrels in that study, and the same range of (6-8), with the same low incidence of alkaline spikes. Even when this squirrel was nursing her young, requiring a greater amounts protein and fat and nutrients, that I supplied in part with extra serving of walnuts, the pH continued close to the mean for most all readings. Up to most recently the testing showed she had a healthy urine pH.

Sadly at this time Diggie isn't coming up to our backdoor, or I would test one of her ‘wee pee puddles' immediately after she deposited it, to see where it is with the addition of the electrolytes. At the time Diggie began to go downhill she appeared to be having a hard time getting to the water basin and back up on the wall. This short term help with this source of electrolytes, that she readily accepted and clearly needed, became the only viable option to afford her support in her present condition and advanced age, without taking her out of the wild.

So yes, I have some specific knowledge in this regard; yet not when it comes to other health issues, as they aren’t within my range of experience and knowledge as to address them on my own. This is the reason why I came here to ask for a recommendation for a contact for help in the next event there is a need; I say the next, for in the past we have seen mange, bites, abscesses, broken bones, and even a potential gun shot, that required the expert knowledge and skill of a wildlife rehabilitator.

34. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (04-18-2017), gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), Lighten-Up (04-18-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Rexie (04-18-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-17-2017)

Sad to say Ms. Diggie didn't show up today; maybe we missed her, yet it may be that her time may have finally come. Tomorrow will likely confirm this, even so I hope not.

It was so good to see her yesterday, to offer her a nut and have her take it gently from my hand as she does, looking at me with her dear sweet eyes and expression on her face.

"There is a season and a time for every purpose under Heaven. A time to be born and a time to die." This for both man and animals. All we can do is to mourn and remember them with thankfulness for the times we have shared with them and they with us.

36. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (04-18-2017), gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), Lighten-Up (04-18-2017), Mel1959 (04-17-2017), Rexie (04-18-2017)

Hope you see Diggie today.

38. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (05-21-2019), Lighten-Up (04-18-2017)

The sun is coming up here, so far she hasn't come. She often comes in the early morning, other times she comes before the rest. I was thinking it may be West Nile Virus, as they have that here. She had pulled out the hair on the underside of the base of her tail when she had her babies, so she was exposed. The hair has since grown back in, but she may have been bitten when it was bare. One of here back legs seems weaker, but there is no limping. Does anyone have any knowledge as to what can help combat this virus in tree squirrels?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast