Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help finding rehabber who will support non releasable squirrels to be cared for

Default Re: Need help finding rehabber who will support non releasable squirrels to be cared

Update on Ms. Diggie. It was sunny and nice most of the day till just a bit ago. At that time I saw a squirrel running along the wall away from the corner where I put the food and water. Not sure it was Diggie or not, as I couldn't see much save the tail was flopping side to side as if the squirrel was working hard to keep it's balance, which would be the case with Diggie in her present condition, yet no other squirrel was chasing. After a bit I went out again; the wind had begun to pick up and the storm clouds were coming in, and who on the wire is crossing but Diggie, or one who looks like her and moves like her. In the tree there are two squirrels one chasing the other. If it is her, she has turned the corner on whatever had her down. I sure hope so, I wasn't ready to say goodbye.

I will update to confirm it is her when I see her close up. Thanks for all the fuzzy good wishes folks!

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (04-18-2017), Lighten-Up (04-18-2017), Mel1959 (04-18-2017), Nancy in New York (04-18-2017), Rexie (04-18-2017)

Default Re: Need help finding rehabber who will support non releasable squirrels to be cared

Correction: Her hair hasn't grown all the way back under the base of her tail yet. I know this for I just saw Ms. Diggie, she made it! I took some photos so you can see her eating and drinking.

She has a ways to go, but with her tail up over her head, and holding up the food well, she ate orange, walnuts, and drank the diluted coconut water.

She eats slower than she has, but faster now than I saw her doing last week. I ran out of the Aronia juice, ordered some more.

For many years we feed the yard squirrels only organic grown foods. Our orange trees are organic, and the nuts and fruits we offer them are also.

We had a problem once with the walnuts in the shell we bought in buik in a large bag sfter a long wet winter. We found mold/fungus growing on the shells, so we dumped the last of them in the trash. Most of the time buying them in bulk wasn't a problem, yet during that wet year it was. Now we feed only the bagged organic walnut pieces; it's allot more expensive, but so far no issues with the fungus/mold.

I like the ones from Trader Joe's best as the flavor is better; yet we have gotten ones from Whole Foods that have been ok too.

This link has some helpful info on organic nuts and seeds. : http://www.worldwellnesseducation.org/nuts-and-seeds/

Organic coconut water not concentrate, is an all natural organic source of electrolytes. This article notes: "it contains the same concentration of salt as our body's cells."

http://www.hope4cancer.com/informati...d-of-life.html

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Lighten-Up (04-19-2017), Mel1959 (04-18-2017)

I am so thrilled to hear miss diggie is still with you. What a blessing to have been able to care for her and her offspring all these years. For however long she has left I am sure you will cherish every moment you get to see and feed her. These little ones have extreme power over us humans. In all my 50 years and lots of different species I have cared for, there is not any other that compares to a squirrel, they are the most unique and magical little beings. Sending hugs out to miss diggie, thank you for loving her.

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rexie:

Diggie's Friend (07-14-2021), gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), island rehabber (04-19-2017), Lighten-Up (04-19-2017), Mel1959 (04-18-2017)

Yes, super special!!

So very happy that Ms. Diggie is getting stronger!

Today we put out orange, avocado, the walnuts, and the cocowater dilution. When she came she was moving slowly very guarded, moved away when I came closer, indicating she's feeling very poorly. Her hair was again standing on end, visably cold, not cold out, but the wind was blowing some. She didn't eat much at all, nor drank that I saw. She jumped up into the leaf nest tree and I haven't seen her since.

There is so little fat on her that she may be having a problem regulating her body temperature; perhaps her thyroid isn't working well? I read that Mammary cancer can happen in female rodents that reach menopause. She's is not so old as that, yet then again having as many young as she has had, the latter years two litters a year, her body may be spent. It could be her kidneys, liver, or uterus, or a combination of issues; anything is possible.

The rehabber here is very capable, and tries hard, but she has no extra cages or enclosures for an adult at the present, having many small young ones to care for, along with a number of juveniles that are being readied for release. She felt bad.

Presently in her weakened condition this old girl is very vulnerable to predation from pets, wildlife, and being pushed away from the food by other squirrels, which she retreats from. If I could get her, I would; at least then I could warm her up, and offer her food in a quiet safe place. It's now becoming evident that she isn't going to be enough to stablize her.

The wind has stopped, glad for that; tomorrow I will go out and do the same as I did today.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Lighten-Up (04-20-2017)

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience you have on this board that you share with the public, as it does much to supporting those that desire to render care for these animals they have found in need, and those cared for on an ongoing basis.

In regard to Diggie's presently declined condition, I looked up online to see if there was anything noted on menopause in rodents, and found this article on menopause in rats. Below is an excerpt from this article: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Pet-Rats-...pause-rats.htm

“Menopause”

“You can't really tell if the rat has gone through menopause unless you have the Vet run some blood work to check the hormone levels.”

“Although female rats do not experience actual menopause, their reproductive ability begins to subside between 15 and 18 months of age. At this time there is a reduction or cessation of estrus cycles due to disruption of hormones. As they age their reproductive organs will become less suited for pregnancy and birth and the eggs will become less viable”

“The age at which a female reaches the post-productive period of her life will vary between individual rats and lines. Often, by 18 months of age, the estrus (heat) cycle has become irregular or even ceased. It is still possible for a female to get pregnant even though it appears she is no longer going into heat.”

“As the female ages fertility may decrease and the litters may tend to be smaller. An aging reproductive system in mammals can also increase the percentage of birth defects, problematic pregnancies, and labor difficulties.”

In the last few years we have seen Diggie with 3 young, one more than we had seen with her in years prior. Yet this last Summer we saw no evidence of her having been pregnant or given birth, and then no young. This season it was very evident she was pregnant, and delivered. Whether the young survived or not we will have to wait to see.

This fits well with the facts on increased fertility and menopause, and problems with pregnancies in elderly rodents, as well as her present decline in health. As for tumors, I haven't seen evidence of that, but then no hands on physical examination has been done.

One thing is clear, to me at least, that she has entered into menopause. And though not saying this is the explaination for her entire present condition, her advanced age as a longtime breeding female is the primary cause for it.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Mel1959 (04-21-2017)

Just saw Ms. Diggie resting near the water basin beneath the fruit trees, her spot. She didn't come down to drink then, hope she had though before I came out. In a bit she moved on down the wall to the water dish, and took a quick drink there. Yet not pausing long enough to eat, she traveled further down the wall to the neighbor's yard, towards where her babies' nest is. Hope to see her back this afternoon, when she usually spends more time eating. C.

Update on Diggie: She came late in the afternoon to eat, about an hour before sunset, which is her habit of doing.
    Today was a good day; she drank more water, ate more food sitting up, not having the trouble she did earlier in the week just to hold it up to eat it. An improvement I'm glad to report.

Sadly yesterday she didn't show up in the afternoon, perhaps due to the neighbor disturbing the tree at the same time and general location where she usually comes to feed.
    She continues to retreat from the other squirrels, and moves off out of sight when anything else moves.
    Clearly she's aware that she isn't up for a challenge. smart girl! I think this is one of the main reasons she has survived as long as she has.

From the little I've seen her eat and drink overall this week, I just don't know where she's been getting enough nutrition to sustain her life.
    Perhaps all the resting she has been doing may explain how she has been managing on so little, even so not for lack of us providing her food AM and PM.

The superberry Aronia berry juice is set to arrive tomorrow; she really liked it the first time we added it to her water.
    Just a tiny measure goes a long ways to support good energy levels and boost the immune system.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Mel1959 (04-21-2017), Scott (05-19-2017)

I saw Diggie, but from a distance I wasn't sure at first that it was her; she looked so good, younger even, eating steadily while sitting up. This unlike I have observed her recently, as off her feed, lethargic, uncomfortable, weak, with limited strength, and clearly visually not well, she seemed like a new squirrel! After she finished, she took pleasure in an unhurried cheek wiping. Then she moved down the wall to her special spot just above the water basin, where she stretched out flat with her arms and legs hanging over the edges of the wall to bask in the afternoon sun. For a moment life was bliss. Seeing her once again comfortable and confident in her habitat was heart warming; she even reached for one of the yet small unripe apricots growing just behind our wall.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), Lighten-Up (04-22-2017)

We have a problem here, a squirrel with an injured foot has shown up on the wall. I can likely catch the squirrel, but having contacted the rehabber they are busy with babies. There is another rehabber, but they work during the day. Again this group doesn't support non releasables; so if it should turn out to be one they will kill the squirrel, rather than give it a good home. I really need an alternate source to contact in my area to avoid this from taking place. Please PM me for my more specific location. Thank you

P.S. Our dear Mamma Diggie stop coming. We assume she has now passed. We miss her so very much, she was our dear friend.

Ms. Diggie 2008- 2017

19. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

gunpackingrandma (05-21-2017), Lighten-Up (05-19-2017), Nancy in New York (05-19-2017), redwuff (05-19-2017), TubeDriver (05-19-2017)

Godspeed Diggie. Nine years in the wild is remarkable, she lived a long life. I have had a few friendly wilds that have lived 4-6 years but never 9.

I can't help with a rehabber in your area but providing some healthy rodent blocks and fresh water may give the injured squirrel enough strength to heal.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (05-21-2019)

Mamma Diggie

I can't help with a rehabber in your area either. Please know that I had one this winter with a very badly injured paw. I supported it with lots of good quality food and some natural foods that are anti-bacteria, anti-fungal, and anti-viral, and the paw did heal, a little sideways, but that squirrel can run as fast as the rest of them now. It took months to heal, but it did.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

Diggie's Friend (05-21-2019)

If one is found, please let them know. I don't need to know their name or address, only to confirm who they are by a pseudo name by PM on this board, and then by phone, as to set up a time to pick up the squirrel.

As for foods for the wilds that are not found in their habitat here, I have offered a number of them here for years, but to no avail, save they be other nuts, seeds, or avocado. They refused the berries paws down. I tried dried mealies, yet save for the elder female when I put into her mouth when she thought it was a nut was in my hand. And though she chewed it down, she ignored those I left for her from there on. The others did the same, sniffed but didn't eat it. I found them to accept pieces of peach or apricot in season, and apple occasionally, yet there are two fruit trees adjacent to the yard that are peach and apricot, that they try to get, but then drop them for they aren't yet ripe.

Though we have seen the older female eat yard moss around the time she gave birth this last winter, when we had allot of rain; save for her habit of eating some odd plant foods about the time she gave birth, we didn’t see her do so. She and the others would eat the buds of fruit trees, along with taking less than fully ripe other tree fruits; but then they just drop it after having a bite. Some native berries in late winter we saw her eat, but none we put out that were ripe did she accept.

A friend of ours back east told us that once she did a short experiment to determine if the squirrels that lived in the woods on their property would accept non-wild food sources similar to that of their wild foods, when it came to sources other than nuts and seeds. Out of those that accepted the foods that were non-native, only the juveniles did, but not the adults.

I am aware that squirrels cared for in captivity do accept non-native sources for food. Organic Yogurt would be super once it has been captured to support them if rehabbed. The rehabber here told me they will eat block in captivity if not having been offered it prior in their life, but that is for reason of needing to survive on what is offer that they relent.

The squirrels come here from nearby neighborhoods, many of them transient males during the rut, who leave when breeding season ends. Those that stay shared the yard with the dominant breeding female. I recall in a funny round and round chase of her with another fat female nursing young, pretty funny really, allot of noise, but not biting thankfully! Eventually Diggie prevailed as to own the territory of our yard, and the adjacent yards as her domain. Now the dominion of this area will be left to one of her female relatives, perhaps one of her own adult female young.

As for this squirrel, whether it is injured from a bite by another squirrel, or by a cat or dog, or fell in a chase, or shot by a neighbor, or fed bad food, or injured by a car, I may never learn. Having rescued a number of squirrels over the years, I know how to get them to go into the tender trap, and make sure they aren’t hurt in doing so. I know to cover them up and up them in a place that is quiet till I can get them to a rehabber.

Thanks 'Lighten UP', I have had to nurse Diggie in the past with what appeared to be a broken arm from a bite. I used Arnica and other homeopathics recommended. I would have brought her in to nurse her back to health, but she had babies to care for then, so I did the best I could. We have allot of predators here, and with other squirrels it can be too much for an injured one to overcome. Glad to hear the squirrel you supported made it. The Aronia is truly as superfruit, it has the same properies, including others also. I like the homeopathics they really do help.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Thanks 'Lighten UP', I have had to nurse Diggie in the past with what appeared to be a broken arm from a bite. I used Arnica and other homeopathics recommended. I would have brought her in to nurse her back to health, but she had babies to care for then, so I did the best I could. We have allot of predators here, and with other squirrels it can be too much for an injured one to overcome. Glad to hear the squirrel you supported made it. The Aronia is truly as superfruit, it has the same properies, including others also. I like the homeopathics they really do help.
    Was the Arnica that you used homeopathic? or something else? I am familiar with Arnica oil for topical use. I have not looked into Arnica as a homeopathic remedy. Thank you. I wish you the best on your quest to help squirrels.

Arnica or Wolfsbane is an antiinflamatory/pain killer However, too much is EXTREMELY toxic so you have to be very careful with dosing, especially in something as small as a squirrel.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Lighten-Up (05-21-2017)

Yes, as I wrote, a homeopathic. I followed the directions of a veteran rehabber of over 25 years, that is very versed in homeopatchic use and application as to the strength to use. It worked to get her through a very painful likely broken arm or bad bite, or both, and recover. She was managing on three legs for a couple of weeks, so good to see her once again use her forearm to walk. I also used the 'gunpowder' homeopatchic that also was recommended, in place of an anti-biotic, if I recall correctly. I don't use herbs, as they are far too strong in most cases I read.

I am no rehabber, I rely on others for advice when it comes to injuries, and parasitic or viral diseases. This is why I am looking for one that doesn't support the euthansia of non releasable injured squirrels, that can with help survive in captivity when they are not longer able to survive in the wild, if they still have the capability of having a good quality of life ahead of them in captivity.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Lighten-Up (05-22-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12