Thread: Need help finding rehabber who will support non releasable squirrels to be cared for

Threaded View

Default Need help finding rehabber who will support non releasable squirrels to be cared for

I'm looking for rehabber contact in my area that is not against rehabbing and supporting, if needs be, non-releasable squirrels in captivity. The rehabbers here are against having any squirrel that should turn out to be not releasable, to be cared for in captivity. What I was told by the local rehabber most recently , who has helped our yard squirrels in the past who were sick or injured, is that she no longer are any exceptions to keeping non releasable alive, having done so in the past. In addition, she sought to justify this by asking me whether I would sacrifice the many releasables, for the few non-releasables, saying it is cage space and time is a premium. Since having seen a number of tree squirrels that are truly non- releasable, but otherwise happy and active, playful with their caregivers, being afforded a good quality of life by their caregivers, I can't see euthanasia as out of hand acceptable. I replied saying I wouldn't sacrifice either for the other, rather that I'm in support of seeking out others that can care for these non releasables, which have the potential of living for many more years cared for in captivity. And though I well realize that not all rehabbers have the time and/or resources to do this, as such work can be daunting no doubt with forty neonates to care for in addition to the ones being readied for release, through the help of myself and others, the goal of finding homes and providing a habitat support cage for these animals with special needs, when a rehabber is truly unable to care for them themselves long term, should be supported.

if there are any here be able to help me find a contact in my area, that could render aid in the event a squirrel in my yard is seriously injured, or becomes seriously ill; and is also willing to see the animal supported in captivity, should it turns out to be a non releasable after care, please contact me at my email: Squirlsrus@msn.com

Thank you, Diggie's Friend (In support of squirrels with special needs)

(Diggie is our 9 year old yard squirrel, our dear friend. Her health is now failing, yet we believe she may still have babies to care for)

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Lighten-Up (04-15-2017), Mel1959 (04-15-2017), Rockysmom (05-21-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-14-2017)