Thread: 9 weeks suddenly turning away from formula

Default 9 weeks suddenly turning away from formula

My 9 week old little man has been doing great, steadily gaining weight and is happy and vivacious. He had been taking his formula great up until 2 days ago. Now he will only lick at the nipple rather than swallowing it, and is only taking about 6cc's that way 2-3 times a day with a lot of effort on my part chasing him around with it. Before he was readily taking 15-20cc's 3-5 times a day. He eats his Henry's blocks for the most part but stashes crumbs in his bed. I offered formula in a shallow dish, he came up and took a drink but then sneezed and walked away and hasn't shown interest since. I think he stuck his nose in it and didn't like that, so now he has an aversion to drinking it that way. Lung sounds are clear. But I'm worried he's not getting enough nutrition.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: 9 weeks suddenly turning away from formula

Quote Originally Posted by Bettie View Post
    My 9 week old little man has been doing great, steadily gaining weight and is happy and vivacious. He had been taking his formula great up until 2 days ago. Now he will only lick at the nipple rather than swallowing it, and is only taking about 6cc's that way 2-3 times a day with a lot of effort on my part chasing him around with it. Before he was readily taking 15-20cc's 3-5 times a day. He eats his Henry's blocks for the most part but stashes crumbs in his bed. I offered formula in a shallow dish, he came up and took a drink but then sneezed and walked away and hasn't shown interest since. I think he stuck his nose in it and didn't like that, so now he has an aversion to drinking it that way. Lung sounds are clear. But I'm worried he's not getting enough nutrition.
    Any suggestions?
    Could it be the temp of formula? I have one that likes it fairly hot while the other prefers luke warm.
    It can get cold pretty fast especially having to chase them around to take it.
    Have you been feeding too often, too close? 3 x per day spaced out properly should be fine for a 9
    week old. I would expect him to back off formula a bit with eating block but I would continue to push
    the formula at this age.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Bettie (04-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Could it be the temp of formula? I have one that likes it fairly hot while the other prefers luke warm.
    Have you been feeding too often, too close? 3 x per day spaced out properly should be fine for a 9
    week old. I would expect him to back off formula a bit with eating block but I would continue to push
    the formula at this age.
    At nine weeks I would also be introducing healthy veggies. You might try adding a little full fat vanilla yogurt to the formula. It will change up the taste a bit. He might like it... he might not. Sometimes they try to wean early but I would still push it because he's too young to wean. I would try for at least 2-3 more weeks of formula. I have had some that weaned themselves at 11 weeks though.

How many blocks are you giving? I only give one HHB to babies. The 'other' rodent blocks they can have free choice.

I was thinking about you, wondering how the boy is doing.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Bettie (04-21-2017), stepnstone (04-21-2017)

the formula at this age.
    It's usually still a little warm by time he finishes. I usually fill a ceramic coffee mug with water and nuke it for 30 seconds. After he takes a couple syringes I put the cup with milk on/in the warm mug to keep it warm. Hope that makes sense the way I'm describing it. But I'll test it. He usually won't eat unless it's been at least 7 hours from the last feeding. So lately I've been offering 3 times a day, sometimes 4 if I have the day off, but he usually doesn't take.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    At nine weeks I would also be introducing healthy veggies. You might try adding a little full fat vanilla yogurt to the formula. It will change up the taste a bit. He might like it... he might not. Sometimes they try to wean early but I would still push it because he's too young to wean. I would try for at least 2-3 more weeks of formula. I have had some that weaned themselves at 11 weeks though.

How many blocks are you giving? I only give one HHB to babies. The 'other' rodent blocks they can have free choice.

I was thinking about you, wondering how the boy is doing.
    That's good news, I would love to start offering veggies. He stole some lettuce from my tortoises the other day, so I know he wants it. I'll give the yogurt a shot. I just opened a new bag of Fox Valley, so I was wondering if that might have something to do with it. Maybe it tastes a little different? I have only been giving one HHB block. I've been looking for the other rodent blocks you recommended and I actually just found someone that has the Mazuri blocks, so I'll get some tomorrow. That will help because I can tell he wants solids more than liquid. But I'll just keep offering formula like normal and let him lick at it. It just takes so much longer that way, ugh, lol.

So I might be totally off here, but I was wondering, I have calcium powder for my reptiles. Is that something I can sprinkle on his veggies for added calcium support? I can tell you exactly what kind I have later today.

He's a funny little guy, loves the stuffed monkey I got him. He's looking and acting a lot like a grown up squirrel.

My little boy started being a total turd about eating his formula at exactly 9 weeks. I think I posted about it in Shenannigans During Feeding Time maybe.

Anyway, they were already getting block but after it was a complete struggle and I had almost given up, my little lady needed banana baby food added to her formula due to diarrhea. Well he got a taste of that and was totally back on board eating formula but still wasn't getting what I thought was enough. I figured he was weaning.

I began putting it in a dish, wide and one tiny layer so they could lick the bottom of the dish easily and started veggies. They took formula from the dish for months after that. (I overwintered.)

Also, after we quit the syringes, one day they found them and freaked out so for fun I tried to syringe feed them again and they loved it.

I think their job in life is to make us worry and work extra hard for their viewing pleasure.

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Bettie (04-21-2017), island rehabber (04-23-2017), UDoWhat (04-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    My little boy started being a total turd about eating his formula at exactly 9 weeks. I think I posted about it in Shenannigans During Feeding Time maybe.

Anyway, they were already getting block but after it was a complete struggle and I had almost given up, my little lady needed banana baby food added to her formula due to diarrhea. Well he got a taste of that and was totally back on board eating formula but still wasn't getting what I thought was enough. I figured he was weaning.

I began putting it in a dish, wide and one tiny layer so they could lick the bottom of the dish easily and started veggies. They took formula from the dish for months after that. (I overwintered.)

Also, after we quit the syringes, one day they found them and freaked out so for fun I tried to syringe feed them again and they loved it.

I think their job in life is to make us worry and work extra hard for their viewing pleasure.
    I whole heartedly agree, he enjoys making my life difficult.

I'm thinking maybe there was too much formula in the dish I offered, I'll try again with less. Thanks for the advice!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bettie from:

cava (04-21-2017)

Anyone have any experience with Grreat Choice Rodent cubes? I went to get the Mazuri blocks but Grreat Choice was all they had.

Anyone have any experience with Grreat Choice Rodent cubes? I went to get the Mazuri blocks but Grreat Choice was all they had.

Features: Vitamin and mineral fortified to help support good health, with flaxseed meal, a natural source of omega fatty acids, added Prebiotics and Probiotics to help support healthy digestion, Helps eliminate selective eating and maximize nutrient intake and Compressed block helps promote gnawing for tooth and gum care
    Food Type: Adult Mice and Rat Food
    Food Consistency: Crunchy Cubes
    Life Stage: All Stages
    Primary Ingredient:
    Ground Corn That's not good....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (04-22-2017), island rehabber (04-23-2017)

Features: Vitamin and mineral fortified to help support good health, with flaxseed meal, a natural source of omega fatty acids, added Prebiotics and Probiotics to help support healthy digestion, Helps eliminate selective eating and maximize nutrient intake and Compressed block helps promote gnawing for tooth and gum care
    Food Type: Adult Mice and Rat Food
    Food Consistency: Crunchy Cubes
    Life Stage: All Stages
    Primary Ingredient:
    Ground Corn That's not good....
    Darn it, looks like I'll be ordering online. Thank you

Any suggestions?
    I'm having the same problem with my 3. From looking at this site for ideas, I just made them some boo balls with formula and it was a huge success! I put 3 Henry's blocks and 1 tbs of powdered esbilac in a mini chopper and chopped everything fine. I added not even 1/8 tsp of coconut oil and .3 oz of yogurt (all I had was coconut yogurt). I was too impatient to let it sit over night and it was still mushy after an hour in the fridge, so I added a tsp of coconut flour (preferred almond flour but I was out), mixed well and divided into 3 equal portions which I flattened out and baked at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. They were a bit crumbly so I will have to work on the amounts but THEY LOVED THEM! They ate the equivalent of 1 whole Henry's block, the nutrition from the formula and probiotics from the yogurt so I feel REALLY happy about their diet now! (as long as the little turds keep eating them!) Not sure if they are supposed to sit over night to absorb the powdered formula better? I am about to make another batch and leave them in the fridge over night to see if it makes a difference! I'm also going to make some with baby food and probiotics when I get to town. Oh! I also froze some formula in a tiny ice cube tray and gave them one after their boo ball and they went to town on those licking and nibbling!

I hope this helps or gives you more ideas!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

Bettie (04-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyDo View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my 3. From looking at this site for ideas, I just made them some boo balls with formula and it was a huge success! I put 3 Henry's blocks and 1 tbs of powdered esbilac in a mini chopper and chopped everything fine. I added not even 1/8 tsp of coconut oil and .3 oz of yogurt (all I had was coconut yogurt). I was too impatient to let it sit over night and it was still mushy after an hour in the fridge, so I added a tsp of coconut flour (preferred almond flour but I was out), mixed well and divided into 3 equal portions which I flattened out and baked at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. They were a bit crumbly so I will have to work on the amounts but THEY LOVED THEM! They ate the equivalent of 1 whole Henry's block, the nutrition from the formula and probiotics from the yogurt so I feel REALLY happy about their diet now! (as long as the little turds keep eating them!) Not sure if they are supposed to sit over night to absorb the powdered formula better? I am about to make another batch and leave them in the fridge over night to see if it makes a difference! I'm also going to make some with baby food and probiotics when I get to town. Oh! I also froze some formula in a tiny ice cube tray and gave them one after their boo ball and they went to town on those licking and nibbling!

I hope this helps or gives you more ideas!
    Thank you so much! I will definitely try this.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bettie from:

ScrappyDo (04-24-2017)

Looking to order Mazuri blocks. Not sure which ones to get? Is it rat & mouse diet? Not rodent breeder?

Looking to order Mazuri blocks. Not sure which ones to get? Is it rat & mouse diet? Not rodent breeder?
    Really if anyone can just tell me what's best between Mazuri or Harlan Teklad and which kind specifically would be extremely helpful.