Thread: Release Hawk Safety Question

Hybrid View

Default Release Hawk Safety Question

5 months from now I will need to release my Girl Squirrel. While I was talking over housing options, she reminded me there is a hawk in the neighborhood. So my question is this: is there a way to discourage a hawk from a location.

The release area is situatuated between mine and my neighbors house with a cluster of large trees. Its a popular squirrel hang out and a canopy even during the winter.
    Squirrel Regards
    Defender of Girl Squirrel the Adventurer
    Daily Photos https://twitter.com/squirrelmyworld

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to awolf:

Coralreefer (04-09-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-09-2017)

Default Re: Release Hawk Safety Question

I am convinced hawks are everywhere and no truly "hawk free zone".

Crows are good deterrents as they will mob, dive bomb, cackle at and generally harass hawks. The cackling and noise making (IMO) may be the best contribution they make as it raises the alarm to all. Know though that crows are opportunistic and will attack baby squirrels that are vulnerable and mom is not around to protect them. For me, I have decided the benefits out weigh risks and I feed the crows daily.

Other folks have used reflective / shiny things like old CD/DVD, pie tins, mirrors, tin foil, etc. with varying success. They seem to work for a while but become ineffective if they are not moved / relocated routinely... the hawks become immune to them if they remain stationary and in the same spot for very long.

There is also the idea of big "eyes", and you can even purchase balloons and posters with these eyes that are marketed as deterring hawks.. not sure how effective those are and if they require the constant relocating that the reflective strategy does?

How old is your girl? I am wondering why you are waiting until September to release. Fall babies are released in the late fall (further south) and spring (up north). Spring babies are normally released in mid-summer.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (04-11-2017), Shewhosweptforest (04-09-2017)

Default Re: Release Hawk Safety Question

I agree with Spanky...hawks are pretty much everywhere...my recommendation would be to make sure your squirrel girl gets plenty of time in the release cage so that she will understand the threat and safety measures other squirrels use in your yard I have Hawks and eagles but, my squirrels all seem pretty savvy about them...I also live in the country and the birds of prey are frightened of me....I am the biggest deterrent (along with crows) and since I'm out at their feeding times early morning and early evening...I usually only see them as they're heading out of the vicinity I think your girl will do fine...especially with the big tree cover....and given the time to see what the dangers are through the safety of the release cage.
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shewhosweptforest from:

Mel1959 (04-11-2017)