Thread: 4-5 weeks sick baby squirrel

Sandy's rehabber Guest

Default 4-5 weeks sick baby squirrel

I have had this little girl for a week now. She was doing great eyes opened from incisors poking through about to come in up until she aspirated. I know it seems like a common problem. I got the milk out of her nose and leaned her forward to see if anything more came out. She fought hard to get the syringe back . It has been a few days since this happened. But yesterday she started this weird sneezing/ snorting sound. I'm not sure if she has aspiration pneumonia or maybe a cold. She's still active, eating well, using the bathroom great mostly on her own now. I thought I heard clicking but it's more like a random smacking noise than a click like she might be congested. It's more in her nose than chest. I have watched the clicking videos and it's nothing like she has. Idk whether to get antibiotics just in case or just keep doing what I'm doing. I have a steam inhaler I have been putting near her seems to help for a min but not too long. Making sure she's hydrated and she has her heating pad still. She by no means is lethargic or anything else. Just the breathing is concerning me. I really need advice.

Sandy's rehabber Guest

Default Re: 4-5 weeks sick baby squirrel

Ok I think she is making a clicking noise now. I have went ahead and called everyone I know. The only thing I know for a fact I can get is cephalexin 500mg or I can run to the fish store and get the fish amoxicillin.

Is the clicking regular? Is she lethargic?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy's rehabber View Post
    Ok I think she is making a clicking noise now. I have went ahead and called everyone I know. The only thing I know for a fact I can get is cephalexin 500mg or I can run to the fish store and get the fish amoxicillin.
    It's controversial but it worked for me...my girl started clicking and was gasping for breath a few weeks ago. All I had was colloidal silver. I have her 1 cc immediately and waited on my dogs vet to call back. She got better in a very short time. My vet wouldn't prescribe for a squirrel anyway so I gave her 1 cc for 3 days and now she is perfect!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

I have had this little girl for a week now. She was doing great eyes opened from incisors poking through about to come in up until she aspirated. I know it seems like a common problem. I got the milk out of her nose and leaned her forward to see if anything more came out. She fought hard to get the syringe back . It has been a few days since this happened. But yesterday she started this weird sneezing/ snorting sound. I'm not sure if she has aspiration pneumonia or maybe a cold. She's still active, eating well, using the bathroom great mostly on her own now. I thought I heard clicking but it's more like a random smacking noise than a click like she might be congested. It's more in her nose than chest. I have watched the clicking videos and it's nothing like she has. Idk whether to get antibiotics just in case or just keep doing what I'm doing. I have a steam inhaler I have been putting near her seems to help for a min but not too long. Making sure she's hydrated and she has her heating pad still. She by no means is lethargic or anything else. Just the breathing is concerning me. I really need advice.
    If she has aspiration pneumonia (AP) she will click with every breath, not the random or occasional clicks. In addition to losing appetite and become lethargic. Aspirating is not a absolute she'll get AP... the older they are the less likely too.

Having antibiotics on hand is always a good idea... the cephalexin is not very effective for AP. The amoxicillin is better, but better yet would be to have Ciprofloxcin (Human Med) / Baytril (Vet Med) or Augmentin (human med) or Clavamox (Vet Med).

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (04-06-2017), redwuff (04-06-2017)

Sandy's rehabber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Is the clicking regular? Is she lethargic?
    Shes's definety not lethargic the sneezing noise she's making is more prominent but the clicking is enough to worry me its faint but it does s sound like it's with each breath in and out

Sandy's rehabber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    If she has aspiration pneumonia (AP) she will click with every breath, not the random or occasional clicks. In addition to losing appetite and become lethargic. Aspirating is not a absolute she'll get AP... the older they are the less likely too.

Having antibiotics on hand is always a good idea... the cephalexin is not very effective for AP. The amoxicillin is better, but better yet would be to have Ciprofloxcin (Human Med) / Baytril (Vet Med) or Augmentin (human med) or Clavamox (Vet Med).

She's still eating and being active very well so could it just be a little cold or something? I really rather be safe than sorry and it get worse

She's still eating and being active very well so could it just be a little cold or something? I really rather be safe than sorry and it get worse
    OK being safe is getting ONE pill of the Baytril or Cipro
    OR
    Augmentin or Clavamox
    Have it on hand and you won't be panicking if this is needed.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Scott (04-06-2017)

Shes's definety not lethargic the sneezing noise she's making is more prominent but the clicking is enough to worry me its faint but it does s sound like it's with each breath in and out
    HRT4sqls came up with a cool way to really hear the clicking. Put the baby in a tall plastic bin and it amplifies the sound.

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (04-07-2017), Milo's Mom (04-06-2017), Scott (04-06-2017)

Cephalexin is not a drug that I have any experience with. Checking around, I have found out that it is extremely hard on the gut. Please continue to look for Baytril/Cipro, Clavamox or augmentin. These are known to be very effective against AP.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (04-07-2017), Nancy in New York (04-06-2017)

If you go OR call the fish store ask if they carry Ciprofloxacin Tablets.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (04-07-2017), Scott (04-06-2017)

Sandy's rehabber Guest

Thank goodness it wasn't pneumonia it's just a little cold she has cleared up and is doing great thanks for all the advice. I'm just a big worrier.

Thank goodness it wasn't pneumonia it's just a little cold she has cleared up and is doing great thanks for all the advice. I'm just a big worrier.
    Try to get Cipro/Baytril or Clavamox/Augmentin just to have on hand.
    When they go downhill it can be fast and looking for
    antibiotics at the last minute could be the difference
    between life and death.
    Thrilled this little one is doing so good!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Sandy's rehabber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Try to get Cipro/Baytril or Clavamox/Augmentin just to have on hand.
    When they go downhill it can be fast and looking for
    antibiotics at the last minute could be the difference
    between life and death.
    Thrilled this little one is doing so good!
    Yes most def. I'm still looking the sad thing is I had some cipro like a month ago but I threw it out I don't think I'll ever throw another batch of it lol

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.