Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New little guy won't eat

Default New little guy won't eat

I was given a new charge last night. Looks about 6 weeks based on eyes being open and top and bottom teeth are in...could be older but very undernourished. I've been up all night trying to give this little guy hydration fluids but he puts up a fight, kind of anyway, he's pretty weak. I've been forcing 1/2 to 1 cc every 30 minutes. I'm terrified I am going to aspirate him. He is rooting around a tiny bit so I'm sure he was still being nursed. I got all the fleas off of him. He fell about 20 feet according to my neighbors and their dog was playing with him but no injuries I can see. Oh, I did get 2 cc in him around 11 last night but he threw up and it was very mucousy. What should I do? Poor guy is a bag of bones.Name:  IMG_0562.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  122.4 KBName:  IMG_0560.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  88.8 KB[ATTACH]286884
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

cava (04-09-2017)

Default Re: New little guy won't eat

Well, he was just rooting around on me so I tried a little formula...not having it. So I gave him a piece of Henry's block and he is eating it! Is that ok?? Lord, I hope it doesn't make him sick but he's starving! He's still munching away.Name:  IMG_0563.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  98.7 KBName:  IMG_0564.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  97.0 KB

A pic of him eating and one of his skinny little body. Excuse my torn up hand. Scrappy decided he didn't want a bath the other day! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyDo View Post
    Well, he was just rooting around on me so I tried a little formula...not having it. So I gave him a piece of Henry's block and he is eating it! Is that ok?? Lord, I hope it doesn't make him sick but he's starving! He's still munching away.

A pic of him eating and one of his skinny little body. Excuse my torn up hand. Scrappy decided he didn't want a bath the other day! Lol
    The Henry's block will be fine, but do not stop trying to give formula! Maybe try offering water / hydration in a very shallow dish / lid and see if he'll drink. It could be the synthetic nipple he is rejecting?

Experiment with the temperature of the fluids... from very hot to mildly warm. They usually like it really warm, but some do not.

While he is older and furred, I would place low heat under half his cage/ bin to see if he migrates to the heat. He jjst may need some extra heat right now...

5. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (04-18-2017), island rehabber (04-06-2017), Mel1959 (04-06-2017), redwuff (04-06-2017), ScrappyDo (04-06-2017)

They have apple and other fruit flavored pedialyte can you try that?

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (04-18-2017), Mel1959 (04-06-2017), redwuff (04-06-2017)

One of my three, about that age, wouldn't touch formula for almost two days after he came in. He did like my "honey water hydration", however, which is just a cup of warm water, a quarter teaspoon of good honey and a pinch of salt, so after hydrating him with that I waited a couple of hours and then offered formula with the nipple dipped in honey water first. He fell for it! A few feedings later and I didn't even need the honey water dip anymore.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

9. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (04-18-2017), Mel1959 (04-06-2017), Nancy in New York (04-06-2017), redwuff (04-06-2017), ScrappyDo (04-06-2017), stepnstone (04-06-2017)

Wow he needs fluids. Can you sub q?

This is controversial but when babies come in looking like that guy, I get some hydration in and start dosing with Baytril. I know that it has saved several babies in dire shape.

Along with getting hydration fluid in, I also will do 1/4 strength formula feeding. I don't want to overwhelm with nutrition, but I feel they need at least some. I checked this out with Dr. Erika Miller, the doc who wrote the article on hydration and emaciation in Wild Mammal Babies.

This is what has worked for me.

Trysh

11. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

cava (04-18-2017), island rehabber (04-06-2017), Mel1959 (04-06-2017), Milo's Mom (04-06-2017), ScrappyDo (04-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Wow he needs fluids. Can you sub q?

This is controversial but when babies come in looking like that guy, I get some hydration in and start dosing with Baytril. I know that it has saved several babies in dire shape.

Along with getting hydration fluid in, I also will do 1/4 strength formula feeding. I don't want to overwhelm with nutrition, but I feel they need at least some. I checked this out with Dr. Erika Miller, the doc who wrote the article on hydration and emaciation in Wild Mammal Babies.

This is what has worked for me.

Trysh
    I can not, unfortunately. The rehab person that lives near me can't either. I will try honey water and diluted formula and call the vet for some Baytril. Thank you!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

cava (04-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    One of my three, about that age, wouldn't touch formula for almost two days after he came in. He did like my "honey water hydration", however, which is just a cup of warm water, a quarter teaspoon of good honey and a pinch of salt, so after hydrating him with that I waited a couple of hours and then offered formula with the nipple dipped in honey water first. He fell for it! A few feedings later and I didn't even need the honey water dip anymore.
    I will try that! He hasn't wanted anything at all from the nipple or syringe yet ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    They have apple and other fruit flavored pedialyte can you try that?
    I have tried plain and a couple of different fruit flavors with no luck. I put a little water in a lid in his container and I will try honey water and my son just picked up a water bottle. Fingers crossed! I'll just force hydrate him like I have been if none of those pique his interest. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The Henry's block will be fine, but do not stop trying to give formula! Maybe try offering water / hydration in a very shallow dish / lid and see if he'll drink. It could be the synthetic nipple he is rejecting?

Experiment with the temperature of the fluids... from very hot to mildly warm. They usually like it really warm, but some do not.

While he is older and furred, I would place low heat under half his cage/ bin to see if he migrates to the heat. He jjst may need some extra heat right now...
    I didn't think of trying without the nipple! I'll try that now. Thank you!

Sometimes ya just gotta prime the pump. They are what it seems, defeated and given up, and it might take a few days to feel good enough to choose life. Put sub Qing on list of things to learn. It is pretty easy and very important.

Even if you put a drop of water on side of mouth, hydration will help heaps and bounds. Good luck with this hard luck boy.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

cava (04-18-2017)

As dehydrated as this little appears I'd be doing something better then honey water.
    I'd be using Pedilyte, the homemade solution, or lactated ringers. He needs the electrolytes!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (04-06-2017)

Redwuff...on a side note...your comment about sub Q-ing...

" Put sub Qing on list of things to learn. It is pretty easy and very important."

Can I ask where one might get Sub Q supplies like needles, line & LR (if we are not working out of rehab center or work for a vet?) Years ago, I had to sub Q my cat 2x a day for 6 mons+...you are right, it is very easy & a life saver. I always got the supplies from our vet. Would like to see if I can get them & have on hand for any future needs but not sure where to get them.

ScrappyDoo...good luck with this baby!

Jenn

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

Scott (04-06-2017), ScrappyDo (04-06-2017)

Sometimes ya just gotta prime the pump. They are what it seems, defeated and given up, and it might take a few days to feel good enough to choose life. Put sub Qing on list of things to learn. It is pretty easy and very important.

Even if you put a drop of water on side of mouth, hydration will help heaps and bounds. Good luck with this hard luck boy.
    Any idea what size needle and what solution I should use for sub q? I'm willing to try that if he makes it through the night. He is acting a little stronger. He's getting 1-2 cc of fluids forced on him an hour and he can put up a fight a little better now.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    As dehydrated as this little appears I'd be doing something better then honey water.
    I'd be using Pedilyte, the homemade solution, or lactated ringers. He needs the electrolytes!
    I'll switch to pedialite again, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyDo View Post
    Any idea what size needle and what solution I should use for sub q? I'm willing to try that if he makes it through the night. He is acting a little stronger. He's getting 1-2 cc of fluids forced on him an hour and he can put up a fight a little better now.
    Do you live any where Dr Emerson is? She is in Daytona beach. I bet so would sell you some. Needle gauge is person dependent . I like a 23 or a 25 ga but they tend to be slower. If you have some one in bad shape, they usually don't fight the sub q much. That means they desperately need it. If you have some one that might fight the sub q then I would use a 18 or 20 ga. Much quicker delivery.

You always want to warm the fluids. If you know any nurses sometimes they can get them. Surgical centers have to have x amt of bags on hand warmed and ready, if they aren't used, they have to be discarded. They will often donate them.

Hope that helps.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Jennefer (04-07-2017), Mel1959 (04-07-2017)

Do you live any where Dr Emerson is? She is in Daytona beach. I bet so would sell you some. Needle gauge is person dependent . I like a 23 or a 25 ga but they tend to be slower. If you have some one in bad shape, they usually don't fight the sub q much. That means they desperately need it. If you have some one that might fight the sub q then I would use a 18 or 20 ga. Much quicker delivery.

You always want to warm the fluids. If you know any nurses sometimes they can get them. Surgical centers have to have x amt of bags on hand warmed and ready, if they aren't used, they have to be discarded. They will often donate them.

Hope that helps.
    Redwuff is right. Dr. EMERSON at Ravenwood vet clinic 386-788-1550, would be a great source for supplies and meds. You would just need to explain to office staff that you are a member of TSB and what you need the stuff for. I think she would be willing to help you out.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Ekorre (04-12-2017)

Hope that helps.
    "Bones" was doing great this morning and had gained a couple of grams. I went ahead and took him to the vet and she gave him his first lactating ringer with a dose of baytril mixed in. When we got home a bit ago he ate a piece of block while I was warming some watered down formula. When I gave him his formula (not quite 2 cc), I noticed a bit of blood coming out of his nose and he is acting shocky, not running around like he was this morning. 😭 He's on a heating pad in the dark right now. He gets pedialite in about an hour so I'll see how he's feeling then! I am pretty far from Daytona but thanks for the heads up! I did find a place to order the supplies, so when this runs out I will be sure to keep some on hand! Should I do 5% body weight twice a day or just 10% once a day on the lactating ringers? Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Redwuff is right. Dr. EMERSON at Ravenwood vet clinic 386-788-1550, would be a great source for supplies and meds. You would just need to explain to office staff that you are a member of TSB and what you need the stuff for. I think she would be willing to help you out.
    Thank you! I wish the vet here was as compassionate about rescues 😕

3-5% twice a day would be fine. I am concerned about the blood coming out of nose. That sounds bizarre. Any idea why?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast