Thread: What are the symptoms of Pneumonia?

Default What are the symptoms of Pneumonia?

I thought about putting this in life threatening, but wasn't sure, because Jenny isn't visibly sick, and I'm not sure if there is even anything wrong. She's a 5(?) week old Fox squirrel, she's clicking sometimes when she breaths, but not all the time, her appetite is good, energy is high. Her weight was down by 0.5-0.7 grams today, but that may be due to the fact that I pottied her first. I've fed her slowly and I've never seen formula come out her nose.

Default Re: What are the symptoms of Pneumonia?

Quote Originally Posted by Covel3 View Post
    I thought about putting this in life threatening, but wasn't sure, because Jenny isn't visibly sick, and I'm not sure if there is even anything wrong. She's a 5(?) week old Fox squirrel, she's clicking sometimes when she breaths, but not all the time, her appetite is good, energy is high. Her weight was down by 0.5-0.7 grams today, but that may be due to the fact that I pottied her first. I've fed her slowly and I've never seen formula come out her nose.
    Hold her belly to your ear like a phone, with AP they will have a click with both inhale and exhale.
    Also with AP appetite decreases, they become lethargic, they want to sleep a lot.
    Some babies do make subtle little click sounds, it's not consistent just enough to worry us...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Covel3 (04-05-2017), Mel1959 (04-05-2017), Nancy in New York (04-05-2017), TubeDriver (04-05-2017)

Symptoms of Aspiration Pneumonia include clicking (from chest and not the little smacking noises they make with their mouths), lethargy, weight loss, loss of appetite, labored or abnormal breathing, rapid heart rate. Your little guy has 1 or potentially 2 of these symptoms (clicking and weight loss) so I would watch him carefully. It is also a good idea to have Baytril/Cipro on hand in case it is needed.

Listen carefully to the clicking, it is OFTEN regular and with each breath. Place him right up to our ear and listen. However, sometimes the clicking is not heard (or noticed) so a lack of clicking does not mean with 100% certainty that he is fine. Aspiration Pneumonia hits hard and fast and can be lethal in less than 48 hours so be vigilant over the next couple days.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Covel3 (04-05-2017), Mel1959 (04-05-2017), Nancy in New York (04-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Hold her belly to your ear like a phone, with AP they will have a click with both inhale and exhale.
    Also with AP appetite decreases, they become lethargic, they want to sleep a lot.
    Some babies do make subtle little click sounds, it's not consistent just enough to worry us...
    Thank you Step-N-Stone! I can't hear anything most of the time except for her little heart beat. Once or twice there was kind of a funny sound, but that was while she was grunting at me. Do squirrels get hiccups? Once or twice its looked like she had hiccups.

Thank you Step-N-Stone! I can't hear anything most of the time except for her little heart beat. Once or twice there was kind of a funny sound, but that was while she was grunting at me. Do squirrels get hiccups? Once or twice its looked like she had hiccups.
    Sure they can. A hiccup is an unintentional spasm of the *diaphragm, *(muscle at the base of the lungs) the spasm is followed by quick closing of the vocal cords which produces the sound thats made. Among other reasons for hiccups the most common are eating too much, eating too fast. swallowing air.
    Some (people) get hiccups when frightened or stressed but I think your little most likely falls in the first category. As long as your feeding within the 5-7% I'd rule out overeating but would pay attention to her eating too fast and taking in air. A common culpert "could be" sucking the syringe dry but still sucking which is going to result in swallowing air.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Covel3 (04-07-2017), Mel1959 (04-06-2017), Nancy in New York (04-06-2017)