Thread: Found -Jenny- first baby gray squirrel

Hybrid View

Default Found -Jenny- first baby gray squirrel

Friday I found a 4-5 week old baby eastern gray squirrel on the side of the road. I've been feeding Jenny Esbilac with whipping cream. She just learned how to curl her tail today and weighs 114 grams. I fed her 6-7ml 5x a day the first 2 days, now I'm feeding her 9ml 5x a day. I have fox valley nutrition's squirrel formula on the way.

Default Re: Found -Jenny- first baby gray squirrel

Welcome to TSB

Has your baby opened her eyes yet? Thank you for saving this little girl!

What are you using to feed her with? You feeding amount sounds high but as long as she does not break out with diarrhea, it should be ok. We usually feed between 5-7% of body wt.

Sounds like you have done this before or done some research. Ask any questions you have.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Covel3 (04-02-2017), Mel1959 (04-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Welcome to TSB

Has your baby opened her eyes yet? Thank you for saving this little girl!

What are you using to feed her with? You feeding amount sounds high but as long as she does not break out with diarrhea, it should be ok. We usually feed between 5-7% of body wt.

Sounds like you have done this before or done some research. Ask any questions you have.
    She is my first one, but I have done some reasearch. The first time a gave her pedialite she threw up a little milk, so I don't think she had been alone for too long. She has her eyes open and just curled her tail for the first time today. She weighs 114 grams. I've been feeding her with a 3ml syringe. I was afraid I was under feeding her, so I'm glad that isn't the case!
    Last edited by Covel3; 04-02-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added information

At 114 grams 5-7% would come between 5.7cc - 7.9cc.
    Should be feeding 4 x per day, 5 x is a bit much at this age
    and may not not give her time to properly digest her formula.

Are you feeding the powered Esbilac puppy formula with pre and pro biotics
    mixed 2 - 1?
    Are you stimulating to pee and poo after each feeding?

Here is a link with info that can be a huge help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
    http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

gunpackingrandma (04-04-2017), Mel1959 (04-02-2017), redwuff (04-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    At 114 grams 5-7% would come between 5.7cc - 7.9cc.
    Should be feeding 4 x per day, 5 x is a bit much at this age
    and may not not give her time to properly digest her formula.

Are you feeding the powered Esbilac puppy formula with pre and pro biotics
    mixed 2 - 1?
    Are you stimulating to pee and poo after each feeding?

Here is a link with info that can be a huge help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

Ok. Thanks, I'll stick to the 4x then. I'm feeding liquid Esbilac, but have fox valley 20/50 squirrel formula on the way. It will be here the 7th. I am stimulating her after each feeding
    Last edited by Covel3; 04-02-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Covel3 View Post
    Ok. Thanks, I'll stick to the 4x then. I'm feeding liquid Esbilac, but have fox valley 20/50 squirrel formula on the way. It will be here the 7th. I am stimulating her after each feeding
    Oh no the liquid Esbilac is NOT good.
    Can you get some powder like that can that stepnstone posted?
    When you get the FV20/50 you can still use the powder by mixing it half and half.
    We will explain that when you get your Fox Valley.

9. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Covel3 (04-02-2017), gunpackingrandma (04-04-2017), Mel1959 (04-02-2017), redwuff (04-02-2017), stepnstone (04-02-2017)

Default Single orphan Gray squirrel - my first baby

Jenny is my first baby squirrel. I'm trying to figure out her age and how much time I should be interacting with her as she is a single baby. She just today was able to curl her tail for the first time. She has bottom teeth and maybe just nubs of top teeth. She weighed 114 grams when I found her Friday. Can some one give me some suggestions? I tried to add pictures, but I'm not sure if it worked.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

11. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Covel3:

ClemC5 (04-04-2017), gunpackingrandma (04-04-2017), lukaslolamaus (04-02-2017), Nancy in New York (04-02-2017), redwuff (04-02-2017)

Default Re: Single orphan Gray squirrel - my first baby

She is precious! She looks like a fox squirrel, which are bigger. My guess is that she's probably about 6 weeks old since her eyes are open. Eyes open at 5 wks.

What are you feeding? How often?
    We follow a 5-7% rule for feeding, meaning that she should take about 5-7% of her weight in formula at each feeding. So if she weighs 114gr then she should be eating 5.7ml to 7.98ml at each feeding.
    Is she in a plastic tub with a heating pad set on low under half of the tub?
    Are you stimulating her to pee and poop?
    Does she have some fleece or t shirts to snuggle in? No towels their toe nails can get caught

13. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Covel3 (04-02-2017), gunpackingrandma (04-04-2017), lukaslolamaus (04-02-2017), Nancy in New York (04-02-2017), redwuff (04-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    She is precious! She looks like a fox squirrel, which are bigger. My guess is that she's probably about 6 weeks old since her eyes are open. Eyes open at 5 wks.

What are you feeding? How often?
    We follow a 5-7% rule for feeding, meaning that she should take about 5-7% of her weight in formula at each feeding. So if she weighs 114gr then she should be eating 5.7ml to 7.98ml at each feeding.
    Is she in a plastic tub with a heating pad set on low under half of the tub?
    Are you stimulating her to pee and poop?
    Does she have some fleece or t shirts to snuggle in? No towels their toe nails can get caught
    Thank you! I am feeding her Esbilac with whipping cream. I fed 5x a day (3.5 hours apart) for the first 2 days, now I'm switching to 4x (4 hours apart). Should I stick with the 5x? I've been giving her 6ml and it's been hard to get her to finish, but last time I fed her she took 9ml. I'll make sure she doesn't get more than 7.98 now. I was afraid she was being under fed, as she lost a gram yesterday. Maybe it was the time a weighed her. I have her I a glass tank with a cardboard box with some old t-shirts and a rice sock in it that I heat every few hours.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Covel3 from:

Nancy in New York (04-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Covel3 View Post
    Jenny is my first baby squirrel. I'm trying to figure out her age and how much time I should be interacting with her as she is a single baby. She just today was able to curl her tail for the first time. She has bottom teeth and maybe just nubs of top teeth. She weighed 114 grams when I found her Friday. Can some one give me some suggestions? I tried to add pictures, but I'm not sure if it worked.
    Here's an excellent link.
    It's 6 pages long (quick reading) with an arrow at the top right corner for the next page.
    Interact as much as you want to at this age. They need to feel love, and companionship,
    they get that from their mom and siblings. You couldn't pry me away from this one.
    Just remember to not allow any other pets to see her. They will have no fear of animals when they
    are released.
    Your pictures worked just perfectly..........and your little one is ADORABLE!

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Covel3 (04-02-2017), Mel1959 (04-02-2017)