Thread: Making the best squirrel block for balanced nutrition

Hybrid View

Default Making the best squirrel block for balanced nutrition

Hi everyone! I've enjoyed this forum for the past couple years now and have learned ALOT from all of you squirrel parents. I've had my gray special needs squirrel for almost two years now and don't think he will ever be fit for release. I've also raised and released several others due to bad storms in my area (raising another now) and am determined to make the perfect balanced diet squirrel block. It's very difficult in my very small town to make special trips 1.5 hours away to get what I need and usually have to order everything in. I've been using the Henry's blocks this whole time which is getting expensive for me. I know many people base it off of a rat diet and any recipes I've made my picky squirrel won't eat. I thought about making fruity blocks, nutty blocks, and veggie blocks with daily value for vitamins and calcium. Do you think the daily value from oxbow rat block would be realistic to go by or should I add more calcium? They're all about the same in value from what I've come across. Any ideas?

Default Re: Making the best squirrel block for balanced nutrition

I often use the Oxbow rat blocks as a back up to their HHB...... the Oxbow is a high quality
    block / food, if they are the only block you can get to your squirrels will do well on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    I often use the Oxbow rat blocks as a back up to their HHB...... the Oxbow is a high quality
    block / food, if they are the only block you can get to your squirrels will do well on them.
    Do you use Oxbow Regal Rat? Just curious as I was surprised by how terrible that one smells when it's ground up (due to the fish meal).

Thanks for the warning! I definitely do not want a fishy block lol. I use oxbow and my squirrel seems to take it fine but still does prefer the HHB because of texture I suppose? He's a picky eater and really just wants to eat HHBs and yogurt if I let him get away with it. He has a very big variety every day and I'd like to make fruity yogurt blocks and stuff so there's more variety. Luckily I have a really picky critic to test my recipes so I'll know if I'm onto something I suppose. I have a little red as well but he doesn't seem as picky as my grey squirrel.

How do I get my one yr old back on rodent blocks? She used to eat them up n her eating pattern has changed. She's not eating as much or the things she used to love like pumpkin seeds yam n cherries etc. I changed her diet n she seems to just be eating alil here n alil there but her energy level is thru the roof. I'm pretty sure she was in heat last WK when this started but I heard they only stay in heat for a day or two. Could it be that she is an adult now n doesn't pig out like she used to BC she was still in her baby/teen mode? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi there & welcome to TSB!

Here's a link to a thread with lots of great ideas and recipes: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dly-Cook-Book) and the actual cookbook: http://cliptomize.com/Clipbook/View/...ret=jf7yk2rk8p

I used Oxbow Regal Rat Adult Food in a recipe as it was recommended somewhere and it smelled disgusting. Oxbow Regal Rat has fish meal in it and, in my opinion, reeks to high heaven once it's ground up/put in a food processor. The squirrels were not impressed & refused to eat what I made. Just thought I'd give you a heads up about that particular rat food.