Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALL OPINIONS WELCOME.Wanting YES and NO's for foods

Default Re: ALL OPINIONS WELCOME.Wanting YES and NO's for foods

My singleton DASH is 12 weeks old, and a few days ago, suddenly refused formula for his 2x a day formula feedings. The next morning he went wild for his formula and then refused it for the evening feeding. Today, he has refused The a.m.formula, and I have a feeling that he won't want it later either.
    I have bottle fed many litters of kittens and puppies for the rescues that I volunteer with, and find that they pretty much decide when they have outgrown the need for formula. I offer it until they absolutely refuse for 4 days or so.
    DASH may be starting his 13th week next Monday and I also find that his tastes change almost daily. A green food that he devoured last week might not interest him at all this week, and vice versa. I offer many foods and let him choose between them, knowing that all are nutritionally good for him. I do limit his choices by offering only 2 foods at a feeding. Next time, he gets different choices. I can find a pattern of foods he always wants, and am glad that they are the better choices.
    DASH does not however, like any of the commercial blocks, but LOVES the recipe for BOO Balls passed on to me by Redwuff ( thanks again).
    I am now giving DASH his daily new branch with the leaves still on....after it has been washed outside. He nibbles some leaves and takes great joy in denuding the entire branch of them prior to attacking the bark. Loves apple tree branches.
    Favorite greens are the Spring Mix that comes in a box, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower...though not green.., romaine. Will not touch spinach. Likes asparagus tips, avocado.
    Will retry mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, and cooked sweet potato. Liked all at one time, then did not eat them another time.
    Loves fruit: apple, peach, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, banana. Fruit given for last meal of the day so I am sure he has had veggies.
    I leave a bowl of 4 Boo balls for him overnight, and he finishes them by the next morning.
    DASH would not drink from his water bottle, but really enjoys taking fresh cold water from his bowl. He sits on my shoulder and watches me wash and refill the bowl, and then must get a drink even before I put it back into it's holder in his cage.

Well, it is a few days after my last post about the foods that DASH likes. Just as I assumed, he now loves tomato, cucumber, button mushrooms, carrot, and zuccchini.
    He adores different barks from the various branches he gets fresh each day, and now will eat Henry's Wild Bites as well as the BooBalls I prepare.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JoanP from:

island rehabber (06-27-2017)

Good work, mamma -- it doesn't get much better than that .
    I always let mine wean themselves, too....I feel that if their bodies are telling them they need formula, there's a reason and depriving them of it cannot be a good idea. I've rarely had any go beyond the 11-12 week mark and still want formula, but a few have enjoyed it once a day until they were almost 5 months old (overwinters).
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12