Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOUSTON help needed 5 week old squirrel baby found - hind end seems paralyzed - help!

bravophilson Guest

Exclamation HOUSTON help needed 5 week old squirrel baby found - hind end seems paralyzed - help!

We found a 4-5 week old baby squirrel. It was still crying for its mother, but after leaving him out in the yard for an hour, the mother never returned for him. After looking at the baby more closely, we found he was covered in fly eggs, had major bruising on his genital area, a bloody nose, and his hind legs were cold to the touch (the rest of him was still warm) and hung like limp fish. Other than taking him to a squirrel rehab, what can we do to help him? We gave him pedialyte and evaporated milk so far from a dropper, but he isn't an eager eater. I'm afraid they'll put him down at the rehab center if they find he's paralyzed in the hind end...

Default Re: 4-5 week old squirrel baby found - hind end seems paralyzed - help!

Welcome to TSB! Stop the evaporated milk immediately. Be sure he is warm by putting him in a container filled with fleece or tee shirts and put the container half on and half off of a heating pad set on low. Once he is totally warmed up, you can give him Pedialyte until he is good and hydrated. Once he is hydrated he will need POWDERED ESBILAC puppy formula. Not anything except the regular powdered puppy formula. We can try to help you to find someone to take him from you or to at least see if he could see a vet or a local rehabber. Where exactly are you located?
    I am in Connecticut annd won't be on much longer, but please let us know where you are so we can look for a rehabber.
    You need to know how much he weighs in order to know how much he should be drinking. If you can post a picture it might be helpful also. Does he have any wounds or is it possible that a cat had him?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

KarmaKay (03-27-2017)

bravophilson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Welcome to TSB! Stop the evaporated milk immediately. Be sure he is warm by putting him in a container filled with fleece or tee shirts and put the container half on and half off of a heating pad set on low. Once he is totally warmed up, you can give him Pedialyte until he is good and hydrated. Once he is hydrated he will need POWDERED ESBILAC puppy formula. Not anything except the regular powdered puppy formula. We can try to help you to find someone to take him from you or to at least see if he could see a vet or a local rehabber. Where exactly are you located?
    I am in Connecticut annd won't be on much longer, but please let us know where you are so we can look for a rehabber.
    You need to know how much he weighs in order to know how much he should be drinking. If you can post a picture it might be helpful also. Does he have any wounds or is it possible that a cat had him?
    Hi- thanks for your reply. We will stop the evap. milk right away. A friend of mine raised her squirrel babies on it and some other blogs suggested it, so that's why we tried it. But we will stop.
    We are in Houston, TX. Houston does have a wildlife rehab center, but they are closed on Sundays. We plan to take the baby there tomorrow so he can work with rehabbers. I'm just worried they'll see he's paralyzed and put him down...
    No bite wounds and no scratch marks. I don't think it was a cat. He was on the ground crying pretty steadily, but he was covered w. fly eggs when we got close enough to handle him. :"[

Keep up the pedialyte for the night and tomorrow, then you can start the Esbilac with Probiotics at 5% of his body weight every four hours if you are going to try and raise him your self.

As far as the injury goes..... he needs to be placed on some Prednisone to help with the swelling, he can be given Infant Motrin as well for pain. *we will need his weight to dose.

bravophilson Guest

He is also being kept warm w. a heated blanket and old shirts. He makes small clicking sounds when he sleeps; is this normal? Occasionally he'll sneeze and fluid will sit in his nostrils - I'm so scared he didn't take the pedialyte well even though he was clearly taking it down slowly and nursing on the little dropper. Could the fluid be related to his fall from the tree? We did find him near a broken nest...

bravophilson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    Keep up the pedialyte for the night and tomorrow, then you can start the Esbilac with Probiotics at 5% of his body weight every four hours if you are going to try and raise him your self.

As far as the injury goes..... he needs to be placed on some Prednisone to help with the swelling, he can be given Infant Motrin as well for pain. *we will need his weight to dose.
    Thank you for the info. We have three dogs and two cats, so I realize this isn't the ideal place for him to live. He'd have to be in a big cage most of the time and wouldn't get much interaction apart from when we isolated him away from other pets. We will see what that rehab center says, and if they can rescue him and have him be an education animal, all the better! This place has a lot of animals who couldn't be released back into the wild for educational purposes and as 'mascots' for the wildlife center.

Fingers crossed. I just hate to see the baby suffer. Will see what the experts say in the am tmrw.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bravophilson from:

KarmaKay (03-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bravophilson View Post
    Hi- thanks for your reply. We will stop the evap. milk right away. A friend of mine raised her squirrel babies on it and some other blogs suggested it, so that's why we tried it. But we will stop.
    We are in Houston, TX. Houston does have a wildlife rehab center, but they are closed on Sundays. We plan to take the baby there tomorrow so he can work with rehabbers. I'm just worried they'll see he's paralyzed and put him down...
    No bite wounds and no scratch marks. I don't think it was a cat. He was on the ground crying pretty steadily, but he was covered w. fly eggs when we got close enough to handle him. :"[
    Most likely they WILL put him down. They typically are run by volunteers and are overworked with no time for anything less
    than "normal" that can be released once they are raised.
    Tomorrow we can look for a rehabber in your area, that would be the "best" scenerio rather than a wildlife place.
    If you get a weight on this little one we can dose infant ibuprofen, or if you know of someone that has Metacam, animal pain reliever, prednisone for the limp back legs, gabapentin, or tramadol we can dose all of those with a weigh and the strenth of the pill. Keep trying to offer hydration. Do you have a syringe? If so, feed him in an upright postion, not tipped back like a baby, and go SLOW, they can aspirate if you try to feed too fast.
    Here is a great source of information. It's 6 pages long with the arrow at the top hand corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

The fly eggs concern me. Did you look him over really well for any open cuts or scratches.
    Were you able to get the eggs off?
    Heading to bed in a minute. Others will be on later.

Edit: Just read your post above. Believe me squirrels are a dime a dozen. I would be surprised if they needed
    another one for educaitonal purposed. BUT with that being said, if he is really paralyzed and not able to recover,
    euthanasia may be the only answer. There are many challenges to a paralyzed squirrel. Some need to be stimulated
    to pee and poop, they can develope drag sores from rubbing their legs on carpet or florring, and many other draw backs.
    It can be a full time job. BUT it would be nice to give him a chance
    with someone that will give him time. OR at least a vet to see if he has a broken back. X rays could tell volumes.

IF he is put on prednisone, he cannot have infant ibuprophen. He would need to be on Tramadol.
    BUT we have to find help first unless you have those drugs.

He would do well with some infant ibuprophen now for pain and swelling.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

KarmaKay (03-27-2017), redwuff (03-27-2017)

bravophilson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Most likely they WILL put him down. They typically are run by volunteers and are overworked with no time for anything less
    than "normal" that can be released once they are raised.
    Tomorrow we can look for a rehabber in your area, that would be the "best" scenerio rather than a wildlife place.
    If you get a weight on this little one we can dose infant ibuprofen, or if you know of someone that has Metacam, animal pain reliever, prednisone for the limp back legs, gabapentin, or tramadol we can dose all of those with a weigh and the strenth of the pill. Keep trying to offer hydration. Do you have a syringe? If so, feed him in an upright postion, not tipped back like a baby, and go SLOW, they can aspirate if you try to feed too fast.
    Here is a great source of information. It's 6 pages long with the arrow at the top hand corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

The fly eggs concern me. Did you look him over really well for any open cuts or scratches.
    Were you able to get the eggs off?
    Heading to bed in a minute. Others will be on later.
    Hi - yes, I know it's late. Not an ideal day (Sunday when rescue centers are closed!) or time to find him!
    Yes, all the eggs are definitely off. Did find a flea or two as well, but they're now gone. He's all clean. And I've looked him all over for scratches or open cuts - nothing... Just bruising.
    Yes, infant ibuprofen sounds like a good idea. He's at a good weight now, and he's hydrated (skin pinch test is normal), so I'm hoping we're on the right track to making him comfortable as we can.
    Yes, we've been feeding him with a dropper (not a syringe), but we feed him sitting up straight. We actually found pinkies about a month ago, so we learned a lot having to care for them overnight!!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bravophilson from:

Nancy in New York (03-27-2017)

Hi - yes, I know it's late. Not an ideal day (Sunday when rescue centers are closed!) or time to find him!
    Yes, all the eggs are definitely off. Did find a flea or two as well, but they're now gone. He's all clean. And I've looked him all over for scratches or open cuts - nothing... Just bruising.
    Yes, infant ibuprofen sounds like a good idea. He's at a good weight now, and he's hydrated (skin pinch test is normal), so I'm hoping we're on the right track to making him comfortable as we can.
    Yes, we've been feeding him with a dropper (not a syringe), but we feed him sitting up straight. We actually found pinkies about a month ago, so we learned a lot having to care for them overnight!!
    IF you have a syringe, feed him with that. If not then a dropper will have to do for now.
    Do you have a scale and do you have infant ibuprofen?

Edit: I edited my post above and added more information.

Oh dear lord I wish I was closer. I would take him in a heartbeat. I have a paralyzed boy who lives his squirrley life to the fullest!

Can you post a picture. I just gave you full access.
    We could guesstimate the weight from a photo if you don't have a scale.
    I am heading to bed now, will catch you first thing in the morning.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Try to go to a pharmacy and get a syringe. Tell them you're feeding a kitten. They'll give you one for free.

He is also being kept warm w. a heated blanket and old shirts. He makes small clicking sounds when he sleeps; is this normal? Occasionally he'll sneeze and fluid will sit in his nostrils - I'm so scared he didn't take the pedialyte well even though he was clearly taking it down slowly and nursing on the little dropper. Could the fluid be related to his fall from the tree? We did find him near a broken nest...
    The fluid is more likely a result of the feeding of the dropper. If he had fluid from the fall it would be indicative of internal bleeding. If into pneumonia then he'll need antibiotics. The others on here are more knowledgeable. Theres a video of a squirrel with pneumonia on the site. Prayers for your little one.

bravophilson Guest

Name:  17571332_10158583549950352_1393286003_o.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  79.8 KBName:  17548919_10158583549990352_1211730252_o.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  66.5 KBName:  17571097_10158583549995352_1444902824_o.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  76.4 KBName:  17521689_10158583549945352_1988512475_o.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  80.0 KB

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to bravophilson:

KarmaKay (03-27-2017), Mel1959 (03-27-2017), Nancy in New York (03-27-2017)

Looks about 6 weeks or so in age. Do you have a scale to get the weight? Are you stimulating to go potty? That's always a worry with injury or paralysis.the clicking and sneezing is indicative of respiratory problems.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to KarmaKay:

Mel1959 (03-27-2017), Nancy in New York (03-27-2017)

IF he is put on prednisone, he cannot have infant ibuprophen. He would need to be on Tramadol..
    Why is this? - just wondering as I use the two together all the time for my RA and my doctor is fine with it, so it didn't click for me not to give it to a squirrel together.

Thanks.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rhapsody from:

KarmaKay (03-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    Why is this? - just wondering as I use the two together all the time for my RA and my doctor is fine with it, so it didn't click for me not to give it to a squirrel together.

Thanks.
    I've heard that you should never give NSAIDs and pred
    together as they can cause stomach irritation and gastric bleeding.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

KarmaKay (03-27-2017)

Keep looking for fly eggs they can be in any crevice or oriface and will do awful damage. If you keep him it is best to get some capstar and get dosing info here. If you turn him over to any center, 99% chance they will euthanize.

I wish the best for him. He has had a rough start in life
    Thank you for giving him some kindness.

Trysh

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (03-27-2017), Nancy in New York (03-27-2017)

bravophilson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKay View Post
    Looks about 6 weeks or so in age. Do you have a scale to get the weight? Are you stimulating to go potty? That's always a worry with injury or paralysis.the clicking and sneezing is indicative of respiratory problems.
    He went both #1 and #2 overnight. YAY!
    He is still clicking on each breath intake. And he keeps rubbing his nose. Occasional sneezing. What can I do for his respiratory problems?
    He is definitely paralyzed. He climbs all over me, but his back legs drag behind him. What can I do to ease that pain?

He still isn't an eager drinker of the pedialyte, but if I place the tip of the syringe in his mouth and gently squeeze tiny, tiny bits at a time and then take it out immediately, he'll smack his lips and swallow. YAY! HAven't put him on the milk replacement, yet. Was too late last night to go to Petco/smart to get the puppy replacement. But I have stopped the evaporated milk. Can he eat solid foods yet? Like sliced up grapes?

Was going to contact folks on this group to see if they can rehab him. They will know so much more than me... What do you think?
    http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/...&county=Harris

So happy to see he made it through the night. He is very tired. But he likes to climb on me and likes to be near me. He makes little squeeking noises when interacting with me. Breaking my heart. I don't want to give him up, but with three dogs and two cats in the house, I know it's a risky home for him. Even if we kept him in a big cage separate from the others, all it takes is a door not to click shut behind us, a dog or cat to push in, and then :[

Is there an argument that euthanasia is perhaps the best option? I don't want to be cruel to him by keeping him alive...

I'm a PhD student and adjunct professor, so we don't have a lot of money or time. But I'm doing all I can to be as helpful as I can to him.

WILL WEIGH HIM THIS AM. Will report back with weight.

He really needs some nurishment.
    Can you get a small can of Powdered Puppy Esbilac from the store.
    Make sure the third ingredient is dried whey protein.
    I will be back shortly to see if we can find someone near you that can help.
    I'm also going to change the title in your thread to reflect the location, that
    may be helpful.
    I just moved this to the emergency section to get more eyes on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.