Thread: Blind in one eye

Ash3420 Guest

Default Blind in one eye

I have 2 approximately 5 week old babies. They opened their eyes yesterday. One is perfectly healthy, but the other has one eye that is grey and clouded over. I am assuming that she is blind in that eye? She seems to be doing well but I am concerned that if she obtained her eye injury from her fall that there could be more issues. She had a injured leg on the same side when I first encountered her. How long after the initial incident could I see issues arise? I have had them 2.5 weeks with no problems, however one suddenly passed on friday (which I believe to be injury related) and a second passed yesterday. Both were doing great up until their last day. The second one refused to eat and unlike the others did not open her eyes. I know she was warm and hydrated but she had became weak. I had noticed little white speckles on the belly of the one that passed but was unable to find any information. The 2 left are super healthy and eat well, but I fear at any moment they may take an unexpected turn. Is this the 20+ foot fall injuries finally coming to light? Or do they have am ailment I am not recognizing?

Ash3420 Guest

Default Re: Blind in one eye

Here is a picture of her eye.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ash3420 from:

KarmaKay (03-26-2017)

What are you feeding them? How often? Are they fox squirrels? What do they weigh?

If you are feeding Fox Valley 32/40 you need to stop and get Esbilac powdered puppy formula with the blue banner that says "with pre and probiotics". That formulation of Fox Valley does not digest properly.

This little ones fur looks like he/she might be dehydrated. You can try offering some warm water with a touch of honey in between feedings.

As for the eye, yes it does look as though he/she might be blind in that eye. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What are you feeding them? How often? Are they fox squirrels? What do they weigh?

If you are feeding Fox Valley 32/40 you need to stop and get Esbilac powdered puppy formula with the blue banner that says "with pre and probiotics". That formulation of Fox Valley does not digest properly.

This little ones fur looks like he/she might be dehydrated. You can try offering some warm water with a touch of honey in between feedings.

As for the eye, yes it does look as though he/she might be blind in that eye. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.
    Having this information and the answers to the questions would be most helpful.

I took in an eye injury last season, he was not much older than that this little one. In my case his eye was swollen and seemed like an obvious infection. I provided a course of oral clavamox as well as applying Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment to the eye 3 - 4 times daily. He recovered well and today has at least some vision in his bad eye. The eye itself is much less clouded making it difficult to know he has a deficit without a close look.

I think it could only help to provide a course of antibiotics (someone here can help dose once we know the weight and if you can get some antibiotics).

Edit: Good and proper nutrition can go a long ways if this might be a result of a nutritional deficiency, which it could be?

Here is the thread from my "eye guy" last fall:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...rel&highlight=

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

KarmaKay (03-26-2017)

Ash3420 Guest

I have been feeding the Ebsilac formula every 4-5 hours. I believe they are fox squirrels. I will try the honey and see if they are dehydrated.

Ash3420 Guest

They both eat around 6-7cc at each feeding, also the female with the eye issue has been my most eager eater when compared to the others, however the male is now just as eager. Comparing to the previous eye issue. I notice my females eye is by far more of a milky white. There is no irritation near the eye and she doesnt seem bothered by it. She seems to slowly be learning to gain her balance and walk but she favors the good eye side and tends to roll/fall over quite often.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ash3420 from:

KarmaKay (03-26-2017)

Yes continue to offer water in between feedings. As Spanky said good nutrition can cure many ailments. I don't know if a course of antibiotics would be helpful or not.

Any thoughts anyone?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

KarmaKay (03-26-2017)

Ash3420 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Yes continue to offer water in between feedings. As Spanky said good nutrition can cure many ailments. I don't know if a course of antibiotics would be helpful or not.

Any thoughts anyone?
    Should I change what I am feeding them? They are doing well on the puppy formula but I have read many places that around 5 weeks I should switch to Fox valley. If not what changes should I make to help them.

You don't have to change the Esbilac with Probiotics, they were just checking to make sure you were feeding the correct formula and the correct amount..... feed at 5-7% per body weight every four hours, keeping up their night feedings until they are around 5 weeks of age.

Hydration looks like it is still needed in between feedings until they can pass the pinch test of the skin in between the shoulder blades....... the faster the skin falls the better hydrated they areat.

Make sure you purchase the Terramycin for his eyes....... it works wonders with eyes issues, I always keep some on hand for such occasions.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rhapsody:

KarmaKay (03-26-2017), Spanky (03-26-2017)

What size syringe are you using, and do you have a nipple?

Ash3420 Guest

I will definitely try the ointment. And will update if anything changes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.