Thread: Sunlight question for inside squirrels

Default Sunlight question for inside squirrels

What time of day is best for squirrels to get direct sunlight? It is usually too hot for them when the uv rays are the strongest and they hide in the shade. My baby is still on formula but he is weaning and I don't want to risk him getting mbd.

Default Re: Sunlight question for inside squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by Amandal315 View Post
    What time of day is best for squirrels to get direct sunlight? It is usually too hot for them when the uv rays are the strongest and they hide in the shade. My baby is still on formula but he is weaning and I don't want to risk him getting mbd.
    I would not worry about your squirrel getting MBD from lack of sunlight at that age. Sunlight does have benefits to them, but the formula is formulated with the vitimins they need to prevent MBD. Also NEVER put your squirrel out in direct sunlight without access to some shade and cool water. These little ones can overheat quickly in direct sunlight, so please keep that in mind. Not sure what time of day is best for them to catch some rays, but I do know wild squirrels are most active around sunrise and sunset. With the approach of warmer weather, I would avoid the intense afternoon heat altogether.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

Amandal315 (03-22-2017)

My nr squirrels and rehabbed squirrels are in cages in a Florida room, a room with windows all around, and I simply open the blinds first thing in the morning and don't close the blinds until it's dark outside...... this way the squirrels get plenty of daily sun.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rhapsody from:

Amandal315 (03-22-2017)

Thank you for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    My nr squirrels and rehabbed squirrels are in cages in a Florida room, a room with windows all around, and I simply open the blinds first thing in the morning and don't close the blinds until it's dark outside...... this way the squirrels get plenty of daily sun.
    Be very careful doing this if your house is fairly new or has new windows. The code now makes manufacturers make windows with uv blocking so your animals may get sun but not what they need from it.