Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Treating Mange: Wild Female Squirrel, Possibly Still Pregnant/Nursing Her Young

Default Re: Treating Mange: Wild Female Squirrel, Possibly Still Pregnant/Nursing Her Young

not to repeat what I've already shared in my reply,

while overall it does not look like mange, that waist-line sort of resembles a possible mange pattern.

So, let's feed her well and observe. It fur loss begins to progress, esp. in one of common mange patterns, maybe, repeat the course.

But it could be a combination of factors, from malnutrition, to nursing, to some other mites.

So, let's feed her and observe.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astra from:

Ekorre (05-18-2017)

Default Re: Treating Mange: Wild Female Squirrel, Possibly Still Pregnant/Nursing Her Young

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    not to repeat what I've already shared in my reply,

while overall it does not look like mange, that waist-line sort of resembles a possible mange pattern.

So, let's feed her well and observe. It fur loss begins to progress, esp. in one of common mange patterns, maybe, repeat the course.

But it could be a combination of factors, from malnutrition, to nursing, to some other mites.

So, let's feed her and observe.
    Hi Astra! Thank you so much for your very helpful private message & what you've written here! TSB is the best!

I've recently discovered that my wild mama squirrel (Trillingen) has had FIVE babies! They are the cutest! My guess is that they're around 10-12 weeks old now. They all look healthy and are having a blast playing and discovering the world around them.

This is her second litter and last time she only had two...she's a very busy, tired single parent. I've been keeping a close eye on her and she's been scratching like a maniac for about a week. She's also seems to be missing more fur every time I see her. Today, I decided I wasn't going to let her continue to be driven crazy by the itching and gave her the first dose of her second round of Ivermectin.

It wasn't easy to come to this decision (giving her more Ivermectin was not something I wanted to do), but I just couldn't watch her suffer anymore. She's clearly miserable & her fur looks awful. I've tried everything under the sun to help boost her immune system with healthy food - including homemade squirrel block and a variety of Boo Balls. She's only interested in nuts, avocado, a vegetable or two when she's in the mood, and the tiny bit of fruit I offer.

I hope she got the full dose of Ivermectin because I had some difficulty getting her to eat the walnut this time. Almond butter is usually a favourite, but not today. She ate it once she realised I wasn't going to give her anything else, but the pigeons had already had a chance to peck at the almond butter covering the walnut for around thirty seconds to a minute. Fortunately, the Ivermectin was pretty far under the almond butter "cap" and she did eat the entire walnut once she picked it up.

I'll have to do better next time (in a week).

Hi Ekorre! I just got done reading your entire thread...super exciting that ur outdoor mama has 5 babies!!! I think its great how you are dedicated to taking care of her. I have a front yard mama with 2 babies (all 3 take food from me) & a back yard mama with 4 babies. I love them to pieces & every day they come see me like ur mama & babies. I had to treat back yard mama for worms & now discovered one of the babies has them (and prob the rest of babies too). I cant help much with ur Trillingen but wanted to let you know you're not alone in your quest (and challenges) to get them healthy & loving them. The world needs more people like you!! Good luck & post pics of those babies!! I'll be following ya! Jenn

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

Ekorre (06-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennefer View Post
    Hi Ekorre! I just got done reading your entire thread...super exciting that ur outdoor mama has 5 babies!!! I think its great how you are dedicated to taking care of her. I have a front yard mama with 2 babies (all 3 take food from me) & a back yard mama with 4 babies. I love them to pieces & every day they come see me like ur mama & babies. I had to treat back yard mama for worms & now discovered one of the babies has them (and prob the rest of babies too). I cant help much with ur Trillingen but wanted to let you know you're not alone in your quest (and challenges) to get them healthy & loving them. The world needs more people like you!! Good luck & post pics of those babies!! I'll be following ya! Jenn
    Hi Jennefer!

Thanks so much for your lovely post (and for reading my thread)!

It sounds like you're just as devoted to your crew as I am to mine.

I'm sure your mama squirrel felt so much better after you treated her for the worms. I hope you'll be able to help the babies as well.

Trillingen got the 2nd dose of her second round of Ivermectin on Saturday (10th June - exactly 7 days after the first dose). With one mama, five babies, & two juveniles around, there's a big risk that the wrong squirrel will get the Ivermectin walnut...but everything went perfectly this time.

I waited for her the next day to make sure she was okay, but I didn't see her. All her babies were down on the roof having fun & eating, but not Trillingen.

She finally showed up today (Monday) and is fine.

This Saturday (17th June) will be her third and final dose and I hope that's it! I'd love to be done with Ivermectin.

I'll try to get some photos of the babies, but it won't be easy. They're super fast!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

Jennefer (06-14-2017)

Awe hi Ekorre! Totally devoted to these guys! I swear if i didnt work id be sitting outside all day!! Glad to hear you were able to treat Trillingen again! Hopefully one more dose & she'll be as good as new. I know the feeling...its nerve wracking to try to get one particular squee to eat the nut with meds on it when there are a bunch of them running around!! I whisper to the one that needs the nut like a mama coaching a toddler to take her first step!!

I did treat my outdoor babies....they were easy except for one. He didnt want the pecan & almond butter wth the meds in it. So i carved out an almond & shoved the nut butter inside & rolled in the almond shavings! Bingo...he ate it!

I am sad though because i havent seen mama squee in almost a week now...hoping shes okay. All her babies come down in morn & evening to see me for food. I worry about them being safe but so far so good. Oh these little squees!!!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

Ekorre (06-16-2017)

Trillingen received her third (and final) dose of her second round of Ivermectin today (19th June). I was prepared to give it to her on Saturday the 17th, but she didn't show up. That worried me, but I thought for sure I'd see her the next day. Nope!

There's a heatwave right now and my guess is that she didn't want to be on the roof due to the heat. I put fresh water out in the morning and evening, so she (and the babies) probably drank some of it when I wasn't looking. In any case, she finally showed up this evening and I was able to give her the Ivermectin walnut (which she devoured).

She's still nursing the babies and seems pretty tired/worn out. Fingers crossed that whatever creepy-crawlies have been bothering her are now gone (or will be soon) and her fur will return to normal. I'm just so relieved that she finally showed up...

Awe hi Ekorre! Totally devoted to these guys! I swear if i didnt work id be sitting outside all day!! Glad to hear you were able to treat Trillingen again! Hopefully one more dose & she'll be as good as new. I know the feeling...its nerve wracking to try to get one particular squee to eat the nut with meds on it when there are a bunch of them running around!! I whisper to the one that needs the nut like a mama coaching a toddler to take her first step!!

I did treat my outdoor babies....they were easy except for one. He didnt want the pecan & almond butter wth the meds in it. So i carved out an almond & shoved the nut butter inside & rolled in the almond shavings! Bingo...he ate it!

I am sad though because i havent seen mama squee in almost a week now...hoping shes okay. All her babies come down in morn & evening to see me for food. I worry about them being safe but so far so good. Oh these little squees!!!

I know exactly what you mean about the whispering and coaxing. Nuts with meds on them are not to be messed with! In my case, I have to throw them from a window that's quite high above a roof, so there's a lot that can go wrong. I've been very lucky!

One of the babies is constantly trying to take food out of Trillingen's mouth and it drives her crazy. She gets annoyed and makes that clear in a variety of ways (), but the baby just keeps at it. I had to find a way to distract that naughty little one in order to get the nut safely to Trillingen today.

Very smart of you to do that with the almond & the shavings!

Has your mama squirrel shown up yet? I know how worrying it can be when they disappear for a few days (or longer). I just went through that with Trillingen and I almost cried with relief when I finally saw her!

Hi Ekorre - No mama yet...she hasnt been seen in well over a week or so. But, I successfully treated the babies again today for round 2! They are getting very use to seeing me & arent as skittish anymore. Hope Trillingen & her babies are doing well!

Hi Ekorre - No mama yet...she hasnt been seen in well over a week or so. But, I successfully treated the babies again today for round 2! They are getting very use to seeing me & arent as skittish anymore. Hope Trillingen & her babies are doing well!
    Hi Jennefer!

I'm so sorry to hear that your mama squirrel is still missing. I can imagine how worried you must be.

Glad to hear it went well with treating the babies! I'm sure they appreciate your help...in their own squirrelly way!

I fed Trillingen yesterday and she was scratching like crazy. Not sure what's going on with her, but I'm definitely concerned. She had one of the babies with her and they both ate quite a bit.

It's been very hot lately and I've hardly seen any of my squirrels. I'm putting food and water out for them and hoping things will get back to normal once this heatwave passes. I miss them!

I really hope your mama squirrel shows up soon!

I am worried about her & i really dont think shes coming back. All these babies come see me morn & evening....so far the stay between my 2 big oaks in my backyard. They arent venturing far. I feel bad they dont have a squee mom. but im willing to watch over them.

Yes, i saw in the news you guys on other side of the pond are in a heatwave! Im in Florida so totally used to hot high temps & high humidity. Maybe Trillingen & babies have fleas? Do you guys have fleas over there? (sorry i dont know my bugs geographically ) some of my grays have been scratching alot as well. Or maybe a plant like poision ivy or oak? Trying to think of what would make us or cats/dogs itch. Hummm. I would think by now with all her treatments she'd be scratching less. Keep that water out for them. Even ice cubes so it stays cold & melts for them.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

Ekorre (07-05-2017)

Trillingen is still scratching like crazy and I just cannot figure out what it could be!

There's a bald spot at the base of her tail, but the rest of her fur looks good. Two rounds of Ivermectin and she's still miserable...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Is there a way to treat a wild squirrel for fleas?

The babies scratch from time to time (like squirrels normally do) and I'm positive they don't have Mange. Trillingen (the mama squirrel) is the only one suffering.

I'd be grateful for any/all advice!

Hi Ekorre! Hope all is well on the other side of the pond! How's Trillingen & her babies doing?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123