Thread: Squirrel Block Recipe as nutritionally balanced as Henry's?

Default Squirrel Block Recipe as nutritionally balanced as Henry's?

I found the most recent, I believe, squirrel block recipe on here that looks like it was last updated in 2011. Is this still a good recipe? I intended to use Henry's blocks, but are the home made blocks just as nutritionally balanced? I have no problem using Henry's, but I do love cooking and making tasty, healthy food for my birds, since quite a bit of their foods you get from a shop are over processed with bad ingredients and it would kind of make me feel bad if I weren't making food for my squirrels. Weird, I know. lol TY!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

squirrelgirl30 (04-06-2017)

Default Re: Squirrel Block Recipe as nutritionally balanced as Henry's?

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ight=cook+book

Here's a thread full of good recipes!!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

gunpackingrandma (03-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ight=cook+book

Here's a thread full of good recipes!!
    Terrific! Thank you!

I bought HHB for now and Rose is not interested at all. Since the home made recipe calls for imitation hazelnut extract, I was wondering if it would be ok if I put a few drops of extract in some water and spray the blocks a bit right before I give it to them? I've tried it dipped in warm formula and no interest. Scrappy doesn't seem to have a problem with them and is shredding his right now.

I don't see how spraying them with flavored water could hurt, if it will help Rose to eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I don't see how spraying them with flavored water could hurt, if it will help Rose to eat them.
    I'll give it a try then! Thank you!

UPDATE! The imitation flavoring did nothing to pique Rose's interest in Henry's blocks...however, I dipped my finger in organic unrefined coconut oil and put a tiny bit on all 4 sides of the block and they are both going through half a block each a day now! Most of it ends up shredded but I know they are eating some of it! From what I've read, coconut oil is ok for them. Does anyone have a different experience? Should I not be giving them coconut oil? Thanks!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

squirrelgirl30 (04-06-2017)

I see that no one else has answered your question about Coconut oil. Coconut oil is fine and most of my squirrels love it. As a matter of fact it's what I apply to my hands to pat the HHB recipe into my baking sheet. I also use a little on the baking sheet to keep anything from sticking. My block recipe calls for both pure vanilla and almond extracts, I don't think I've ever even seen hazelnut extract-interesting!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Anne from:

SquirrelLady2 (04-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I see that no one else has answered your question about Coconut oil. Coconut oil is fine and most of my squirrels love it. As a matter of fact it's what I apply to my hands to pat the HHB recipe into my baking sheet. I also use a little on the baking sheet to keep anything from sticking. My block recipe calls for both pure vanilla and almond extracts, I don't think I've ever even seen hazelnut extract-interesting!
    Thank you! Coconut oil seems to be doing the trick for now! I am wanting to try my hand at making my own block as soon as they go through these 2 bags of Henry's Blocks. Do you mind me asking probably a dumb question? lol What size baking sheet do you use and how do you cut the blocks to the size you need? Does your recipe make 60 blocks?