Thread: Dermatophytosis

Default Dermatophytosis

Theres a wild squirrel who I feed regularly who appears to have hair loss due to Dermatophytosis. There are no sores just hair loss around the upper back and lower back. I usually provide henrys treats ( wild bites) and some fruits and veggies from the pyramid list. What can I provide in his diet to assist recovery? What ever I do give will be shared by the others because it will be hard to limit it just to him.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to nutty from:

redwuff (03-08-2017)

Default Re: Dermatophytosis

Is there any way for you to use a havahart trap? Do you have a local rehabber that you know?
    I would see if you can humanely trap and work with your local rehabber. Talk to them before you trap though. It could be fungal or parasitic. etc.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mommaluvy from:

redwuff (03-08-2017)

It is probably fungal, but I don't think it's necessary to trap. It sounds like you are providing a good diet. You can also offer avocado (NO SKIN OR PIT) and pieces of fresh coconut. Both are very good for fur and skin. The other squirrels will benefit from the good diet as well. One of our members had great results by feeding a nutritious diet to her wild squirrel with this condition.

It might also be molt. If you could post a picture it would be helpful.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

redwuff (03-08-2017)

Mel is right, it could be molt, but if it is dermatophosis, I do not see any need to trap. I don't believe this will spread, as I think it's nutrition based.

If it is dermatophosis, it is a fungal infection due to nutritional issues. For some reason, they just haven't gotten what they need outside completely.

Offer coconut meat, and or coconut oil spread on pecans and walnuts (they have crevasses that will hold the oil) [storing these in the fridge will harden the coconut oil].

Also offer avocado meat.

Whatever is in these foods should easily clear up the dermatophosis within a month or two. And giving these foods will not hurt any other squirrels. If they need the nutrients they will eat them also, and if they don't, they will ignore them.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

island rehabber (03-08-2017), Mel1959 (03-08-2017), redwuff (03-08-2017)

I doubt from what you describe it's Dermatophytosis also known as ringworm, a picture would be helpful to evaluate.
    If it's not molt it sounds like it could be mites which can be successfully treated in the wild.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Squirreleesi (03-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I doubt from what you describe it's Dermatophytosis also known as ringworm, a picture would be helpful to evaluate.
    If it's not molt it sounds like it could be mites which can be successfully treated in the wild.
    Thank you stepnstone, I had no idea that what I know as Dermatophytosis, was actually ringworm. If it is ringworm, than it is contagious, so I was incorrect above. When you wrote that, I looked it up, and it said that ringworm forms round red scaly patches, and is a fungus, not a worm.

I am still learning, but what I have determined to be derermatophyosis, has never been red, round or scaly, it has appeared more like long thin scar like looking shapes from a distance, or smaller patches, the fur usually black in appearance in the areas where it is messing up the fur.

I have seen mites that create mange, and that becomes very scaly and oozeing. But the dermatophytosis seemed only to create a patchy fur appearance.

If you have any more thoughts, I would appreciate them.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

Mel1959 (03-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post
    Thank you stepnstone, I had no idea that what I know as Dermatophytosis, was actually ringworm. If it is ringworm, than it is contagious, so I was incorrect above. When you wrote that, I looked it up, and it said that ringworm forms round red scaly patches, and is a fungus, not a worm.

I am still learning, but what I have determined to be derermatophyosis, has never been red, round or scaly, it has appeared more like long thin scar like looking shapes from a distance, or smaller patches, the fur usually black in appearance in the areas where it is messing up the fur.

I have seen mites that create mange, and that becomes very scaly and oozeing. But the dermatophytosis seemed only to create a patchy fur appearance.

If you have any more thoughts, I would appreciate them.
    That is correct the name ringworm is deceiving and it is a fungus not a parasite.
    From what you describe above with the fur it does sound more like molt and your seeing the shorter new fur.
    Mites will leave the area bald to the skin.
    I had a wild going through molt with the short fur on his entire upper body while the bottom half was still intact.
    He looked like he was wearing a pair of furred chaps...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Lighten-Up (03-09-2017)