Thread: Trouble shooting-Advice please

silversibby Guest

Default Trouble shooting-Advice please

Help Friends...I have been raising two 4 week old squirrels for 5 days now. I woke up this morning and one of my babies had passed. I am devastated and desperately looking for what I did wrong, advice, perspective. I will list all the factors I think are relevant and hope someone can have some insight for me. I am not inexperienced, my granny raised any small critter my tree surgeon grandfather found and I have since raised a few grays and one precious flyer.

*The babies had a traumatic separation(clearing land with heavy machinery)and a litter mate passed the day they were found with crushed back end.

*This baby that had passed was the pickier of the two, always turning its head, never fully latched often

*It had eaten very well the night before and defecated more than it had since I got it(so I thought we might be out of the woods)

*I fed them at 11:30 the night before and found it passed at 5 AM

*I keep them in a tub with a heating pad, but they are in a box with towels sitting on the pad

*it had crawled to the bottom of the box closest to the heat source

*it appeared to have spit up and had defecated and its tummy was round

* I am feeding them canned goats milk

Since finding this site I realize I need to do better on the formula, perhaps that is what killed it? or perhaps it got too much air and died of bloat??? anyone with any insight would be so appreciated

Default Re: Trouble shooting-Advice please

Goats milk is not sufficient long term. Get Esbilac and get it today... Tractor Supply is most realiable.

Heat under only 1/2 their container so they can get on and off heat as they choose.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

How much and how often are you feeding, and what is the weight of the squirrel in grams?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

I am very sorry for the loss of your baby. It could have been a number of things. Are your baby's eyes still closed? First the formula needs to be changed. Goats milk is only a temporary formula and is usually mixed with heavy whipping cream (and maybe other things) when given. Go to a pet store or tractor supply and pick up a can of ESBILAC powdered puppy formula. It must be the powdered version and the can has a white puppy on the front with a blue banner at the top that reads "with pro and pre biotics". The formula is mixed at a ratio of 1 part powder to 2 parts hot water. Mix it well and allow it to set in the fridge for about 4-6 hrs. then mix well again. Your baby needs to be weighed every morning with a gram scale to determine how much to feed. The rule of thumb is 5-7% of their body weight at each feeding.observe the belly. It should be squishy after a feeding and not hard. If you can see a milk line on the belly watch to see that most of it is gone before feeding again. Feedings at this age should be about 3 hrs apart.

Can you tell if your little ones were hydrated? Did you offer rehydration fluid prior to the milk? They need to be hydrated for their digestive systems to work properly.

Make sure the heating pad is set on low and under half of the container. No boxes, they draw moisture out of the baby. A plastic bin works well. Replace any towels you may be using with a blanket, T shirts or fleece, something that won't snag his/her nails.

Others will be along with advice so check back often. But get the Esbilac asap.

I see others are already offering help. I'm a slow typer.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

gunpackingrandma (03-01-2017)

silversibby Guest

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am on the site now to order the Fox Valley formula and I will be picking up heavy cream and yogurt on my way home today to get us by. They had been giving the goats milk for 5 days. Their eyes are closed but they are beginning to show a lot of fur. Im afraid I do not have a scale, I can look into that as well....I am using a glass eye dropper and I thought we were doing good when the baby ate a dropper and a half full the night before. I feed them every 3-4 hours depending. I always look for the band of milk in the belly, but didn't know to make sure it is gone before feeding again. I just lucked up and I do have a plastic bin on top of the heating pad and will be replacing the towel with a tshirt ASAP and taking half the bin off the heating pad

Also the couple who actually found the squirrels while clearing their land gave them pedialyte so I am unsure if they were dehydrated or how to tell? I just got them warm and started them on goats milk...I did notice it took several feedings to start them using the bathroom which started dry thin and black and went rusty gold/orange and moist

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to silversibby from:

Nancy in New York (03-01-2017)

Get Esbilac because you can get it today. You do not have time to wait for delivery.

Get syringes. Never use a dropper to feed. A pharmacy should be willing to give you a few if you tell thwm you are feeding a small kitten.

Get. Kitchdn scale.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

IF you are comfortable, pm me your name and address.
    You will need 1 cc syringes to properly feed.
    I only suggest this because the syringes currently sold at Henry's are TOO fast,
    unless you order the Exacta-Med Slip-Tip O-Ring Syringes, 1 ml
    http://www.henryspets.com/exacta-med...syringes-1-ml/
    You will also need nipples. I will send a few.
    We need a weight on the squirrel so that you can
    feed the proper amount. The rule of thumb is 5-7% of their body weight
    every X number of hours. (depending on their age)

FYI Pedialyte should be given for no more than 24 hours.
    I know you didn't give it, but it's just a reminder.

If you have a tractor supply store or large pet store like PetCo or PetSmart, they
    should carry the POWDERED puppy Esbilac.
    Let me find the photo, and I will post the one you want.

Edit:.................................................. .................................................. ...........................................CORRECT FORMULA

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 03-01-2017 at 11:37 AM.

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Grinderhead (03-01-2017), Mel1959 (03-01-2017)

silversibby Guest

Name:  20170227_202811.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  65.3 KB

HERE IS MY ATTEMPT TO LOAD A PICTURE OF THE BABIES THE DAY BEFORE ONE PASSED SO UNEXPECTEDLY

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to silversibby from:

Nancy in New York (03-01-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.