Thread: Confused about squirrel's weight.

Default Confused about squirrel's weight.

So I feel like I come here to ask so many questions But this one is really baffling me.

My 1 year old gray squirrel male, Bandit, has never been on the hefty side - but I've never thought he was underweight, either. After posting some pictures here earlier where he did look a bit thin (to be fair, he was stretched out trying to wriggle out of my grasp while I took a picture of his belly - but still, it made me curious), I decided to see how much he weighed.

At the end of December, he went to the vet for a check-up, so I called them to ask them about his weight. The receptionist told me his file said he weighed 3.9 lbs.

Wait. What? There's no way that's right. I figure he read it wrong, or just saw a number and assumed pounds, but I just can't figure out what format they weighed him in that would come out to 3.9?

Pictures below; for reference, I live in north-west Florida. All of the adult squirrels here seem pretty small compared to others, and he seems to be the same size as wild adults. But I'm just so baffled.

Name:  15036377_1248512565221371_1480514545968763940_n.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  105.7 KB

^ November, 2016

Name:  15726676_1309783822427578_5033534018967125862_n.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  116.2 KB

^ December, 2016. Taken the day of his vet visit when he was weighed.

Name:  17035529_1406158269456799_682290016_n.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  105.4 KB

^ January, 2017.

I'm thinking I need to invest in a scale myself so I can weigh him at home. From you guys' experienced standpoints, until I can get an accurate weight on him, does he look too thin? Healthy?

Default Re: Confused about squirrel's weight.

Just copied this off the web:

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Eastern gray squirrel[/COLOR]

Rodent
    Sciurus carolinensis, common name eastern gray squirrel or grey squirrel depending on region, is a tree squirrel in the genus Sciurus.It is native to eastern North America, where it is the biggest and ... Wikipedia
    Scientific name: Sciurus carolinensis
    Gestation period: 44 days
    Mass: 0.88 – 1.3 lbs (Adult)
    Length: 9.1 – 12 in. (Adult, Head and body)
    Did you know: As the name suggests, the eastern gray squirrel has predominantly gray fur, but it can have a brownish color. eol.org

We recommend the use of a gram scale for weighing. They are available at places that sell cookware, I have purchased several at Walmart. Also a squirrel's weight will change often during the different seasons.Diet is the key to a healthy, happy squirrel.If you are familiar with the healthy diet, and feeding healthy foods-limiting nuts to use as treats, making sure he is getting enough Calcium in his diet for continuing bone and brain function, he should do well.
    What is his daily diet? Mostly healthy greens and veggies?

Last edited by Anne; 02-28-2017 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Makes tidy!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Just copied this off the web:

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Eastern gray squirrel[/COLOR]

Rodent
    Sciurus carolinensis, common name eastern gray squirrel or grey squirrel depending on region, is a tree squirrel in the genus Sciurus.It is native to eastern North America, where it is the biggest and ... Wikipedia
    Scientific name: Sciurus carolinensis
    Gestation period: 44 days
    Mass: 0.88 – 1.3 lbs (Adult)
    Length: 9.1 – 12 in. (Adult, Head and body)
    Did you know: As the name suggests, the eastern gray squirrel has predominantly gray fur, but it can have a brownish color. eol.org

We recommend the use of a gram scale for weighing. They are available at places that sell cookware, I have purchased several at Walmart. Also a squirrel's weight will change often during the different seasons.Diet is the key to a healthy, happy squirrel.If you are familiar with the healthy diet, and feeding healthy foods-limiting nuts to use as treats, making sure he is getting enough Calcium in his diet for continuing bone and brain function, he should do well.
    What is his daily diet? Mostly healthy greens and veggies?

Thanks so much for the info!

I'm definitely going to invest in a scale for him later today. For his diet, I follow the chart here pretty closely: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

He gets his rodent blocks primarily, as well as his leafy greens (usually broccoli, brussels sprouts, arugula, and lettuce switched up to keep him from getting bored). Then he gets his nuts and fruits (usually blueberries, grapes, oranges, or strawberries) as treats!

My best WAG would be 3.90 was really 390grams? That is around the weight of most of my releases at 20 weeks +.

I am guessing you are further South than North, so I don't think 390grams (while light) is not scary light but maybe the FL members would be able to share the weights of their squirrels (FL grays are probably the smallest of the small).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    My best WAG would be 3.90 was really 390grams? That is around the weight of most of my releases at 20 weeks +.

I am guessing you are further South than North, so I don't think 390grams (while light) is not scary light but maybe the FL members would be able to share the weights of their squirrels (FL grays are probably the smallest of the small).
    Thanks so much! I bought a scale today and he's 405 grams, so I figure you're right about them meaning 390 grams!