Thread: 24hrs/overnight with out food..ok?

Default 24hrs/overnight with out food..ok?

Would my 6.5 month old girl get along alright if I left her for the night without food? I've gone on trips before and had my friends watch and feed her, but this time they "can't". I'm gone Friday to Sunday. A friend is watching and feeding her Friday and Saturday morning/afternoon. If she give her plenty of food before Saturday afternoon will she be alright until I get home Sunday afternoon?? Make any sense?

All of a sudden one of my friends is afraid of her and doesn't want to do it. Wallie has never even hurt her, I get it though, she's bigger.

Default Re: 24hrs/overnight with out food..ok?

Quote Originally Posted by GGnWallie View Post
    Would my 6.5 month old girl get along alright if I left her for the night without food? I've gone on trips before and had my friends watch and feed her, but this time they "can't". I'm gone Friday to Sunday. A friend is watching and feeding her Friday and Saturday morning/afternoon. If she give her plenty of food before Saturday afternoon will she be alright until I get home Sunday afternoon?? Make any sense?

All of a sudden one of my friends is afraid of her and doesn't want to do it. Wallie has never even hurt her, I get it though, she's bigger.
    Not ideal but suppose doable without a recourse. I'd be careful of any perishables that may turn and go bad during
    that time. Definitely a good supplemental block besides her regular block and don't load up on nuts to make up for
    food. Make sure she has access to plenty of water.
    Now lets just look outside the box for a minute...
    What were to happen if for some reason outside your control something were to happen and you couldn't make it back.
    Do you have that avenue covered??
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (02-19-2017), Nancy in New York (02-19-2017)

I would put several water bottles in her cage, make sure they work
    AND a HEAVY bowl of water on the bottom.
    I would put enough veggies and block in there as well.
    Do the hard veggies, like squash, apple, carrots, sugar snap peas, etc.
    (meaning I wouldn't put in leafy greens/salads) and block.
    If your friend can just slip in some of these veggies through the bars before
    she leaves, your little one should be fine.
    Tell her to make sure all the doors are LOCKED. (that's what I do )

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Not ideal but suppose doable without a recourse. I'd be careful of any perishables that may turn and go bad during
    that time. Definitely a good supplemental block besides her regular block and don't load up on nuts to make up for
    food. Make sure she has access to plenty of water.
    Now lets just look outside the box for a minute...
    What were to happen if for some reason outside your control something were to happen and you couldn't make it back.
    Do you have that avenue covered??

Yes!! Thank you for thinking of that. I've always made sure to cover my bases with all of my pets in that regard. I care very much for them. And thank you for the advice. Knowing her, she'll eat it t all within the day. Nuts are only special treats and I have stocked up on other rodent blocks besides her Henry's. Love the support I get here. This is kinda like a "am I doing this right" check list.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to GGnWallie:

island rehabber (02-20-2017), Nancy in New York (02-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I would put several water bottles in her cage, make sure they work
    AND a HEAVY bowl of water on the bottom.
    I would put enough veggies and block in there as well.
    Do the hard veggies, like squash, apple, carrots, sugar snap peas, etc.
    (meaning I wouldn't put in leafy greens/salads) and block.
    If your friend can just slip in some of these veggies through the bars before
    she leaves, your little one should be fine.
    Tell her to make sure all the doors are LOCKED. (that's what I do )
    Thank you! The one friend helping has no problem opening and feeding her. Doesn't even get mad at a little nibble. She just won't be back after Saturday afternoon. It's the other friend who's "nervous". Sounds like my girl will be just fine.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to GGnWallie from:

Nancy in New York (02-19-2017)

Thank you! The one friend helping has no problem opening and feeding her. Doesn't even get mad at a little nibble. She just won't be back after Saturday afternoon. It's the other friend who's "nervous". Sounds like my girl will be just fine.

Water is key, they could always go a few days without eating, if they had to, but
    they need water daily.
    Glad your thinking ahead and have your bases covered!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Water is key, they could always go a few days without eating, if they had to, but
    they need water daily.
    Glad your thinking ahead and have your bases covered!
    Good to know. I'll leave her plenty. My friend decided to come back on Sunday after all. The thing is, she's moving Saturday an hour away, so that's where the problem lies, but luckily she'll be back.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to GGnWallie from:

Nancy in New York (02-20-2017)