Thread: Can Flyers catch illnesses from cats?

Otter Guest

Default Can Flyers catch illnesses from cats?

I have a cat with a horrible eye infection from an unknown cause. My vet said it shouldn't be contagious but she isn't 100% sure. I've been keeping my hands and body clean after giving the cat her medicine/messing with her, but is there any chance he can catch the infection? I have another cat who wanders the house and spends some of her time in the bedroom. He sleeps in a closet in his cage and she isn't allowed in there, but he plays in the bedroom. Thank you!

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Default Re: Can Flyers catch illnesses from cats?

If your cat's eye infection is bacterial, your squirrel could become infected if your squirrel comes in contact with infected material (any object that has secretions from your cat's eyes). You must ssume everything the infected cat touches is infected.

If your cat's eye infection is from a viral infection, it's less likely that your squirrel could become infected, but assume your squirrel could catch this virus and initiate precautions.

I'd keep the cat with the eye infection isolated from your other pets until its eyes are free from mucus/redness/tearing/crusts and your cat has taken all its medications for the exact time specified by your vet.

I hope your kitty gets well very soon.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DaSquirrelMom from:

BCChins (02-03-2017)

Default Re: Can Flyers catch illnesses from cats?

Cat conjunctivitis ('pink eye') is very contagious to other animals, I believe.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Members who have read this thread: 1