Thread: I think my baby squirrel has heat stroke, seizures and now paralyzed! HELP!

Default I think my baby squirrel has heat stroke, seizures and now paralyzed! HELP!

Hi my name is prettymuddy, I live in Costa Rica. My first post was years ago when I found a baby orphaned squirrel named chick-a-pea. since then I've rescued several orphaned squirrels. My favorite being adorable orphaned squirrel I named Squir-relle whom I've released into the wild about a year ago (and who come back and visits every once in awhile) - I live in Costa Rica, STOSH sponsored me, we seem to be the only ones in the whole country on the squirrel forum. I live rurally and don't really have vets close by so this is my dilemma... The day before last my gardener who lives an hour away found two male baby orphaned squirrels around 4 weeks (eyes still shut) and kept them in a box for me until returning to work the following day. He said they were in the hot sun and when I got them I noticed they were dehydrated and one was in the full throws of (I think) heat stroke... I dont know how long they were in the sun/heat or if the gardener exacerbated the issue by putting them into a hot car too, but after cooling them off and AFTER giving them grape liquid electrolytes (no pedialyte) one of the males had a seizure and went limp. He seemed to recover fine at first (his brother Obama is doing fine) but this one I named Don Julio seems to have paralyzed himself from the legs down. He didn't suffer from a fall as far as I know (the babies were squaking on the roof in their nest for 2 days almost so we suspect something happened to the Momma) and so heat stroke is the only thing logical I can think happened. DJ (don Julio for short) has now suffered at least 6-7 more seizures throughout the night. He will only take a small amount: about 1-2cc of electrolytes every hour or two, and then early this morning around 4am I decided to give him some formula which he ate about 3ccs of. Since then, he has been unresponsive and limp with occasional seizures now occurring once an hour. During these seizures he squeals very loud and tenses up for about 3-5 seconds. I rub his little head and I've been letting him lay on my chest all night long. He just sleeps. He has an occasional bout of lucidity where he will raise his head and lift himself with his arms, but his legs and lower half seem to be completely limp. I stimulated his genitals and he had a very small amount of yellow soft diarrea type stool) and put a drop off agave syrup in his mouth which he seemed to like -at least he moved his mouth a bit. He's the sweetest little thing and I know he's probably on his way out, but I can't give up hope that there is something we can do and he'll eventually recover. Any suggestions? Comments? Advice? I really want this little guy to live. I intend to post a video of his next seizure when he has one. Is thee anything else I should or can do? I've ruled basically everything else out except heat stroke but maybe I'm missing something. ?? Thanks.

Default Re: heat stroke, seizures, baby squirrel help

I would continue to give him electrolytes and would also mix up some sugar syrup or use the agave and give him some of that as well - small amounts of everything. The sugar help them after seizures. At this point other than the supportive care there isn't too much you can do. Poor baby...

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

prettymuddy (01-28-2017)

Hopefully other will weigh in but for now. Make sure you do not give him anything by mouth unless he is warm (just unsure of how much you cooled him off).

When he is having seizures, rubbing molasses or honey on his lips/gums/mouth will help. I am unsure how agave syrup stacks up, but better than nothing? Molasses is best.

What kind of formula are you feeding him?

Videos and pictures always help.

Do you have any prednisone, gabapentin, meloxicam or infants ibuprofen? I am not recommending any of those right now, just assessing options that might be available for him.

Default Re: I think my baby squirrel has heat stroke, seizures and now paralyzed! HELP!

Prayers for your little DJ.
    Keep pushing fluids as best you can.
    Straight molasses on the gums is best for seizures.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Warning! Squirrels Can Overheat in Summer

1. Never place a caged squirrel in direct sunlight.
    2. Always provide water and shade.
    3. On hot and/or humid days, indoor squirrels should be kept inside.
    4. To-be-released squirrels need to be slowly acclimated to summer temps.
    5. Never leave indoor squirrels (or unacclimated to-be-released squirrels) unattended outdoors.
    6. Take extra care when traveling. Never leave your squirrel in the car without the air-conditioning turned on, even with all the windows open.

Symptoms of Heatstroke
    Mild--Damp fur, appears to be sweating, rapid heartbeat and breathing
    Moderate--Drooling or "foaming at the mouth," labored breathing, vomiting
    Severe--diarrhea (may contain blood or mucous), uncoordination, seizures, collapse

If you see any of these symptoms, bring the squirrel indoors immediately and begin Emergency Cool-Down Procedures:

Emergency Treatment for Heatstroke

Heatstroke is a life-threatening emergency--Do not delay treatment!

Symptoms of Heatstroke

Mild--Damp fur, appears to be sweating, rapid heartbeat and breathing
    Moderate--Drooling or "foaming at the mouth," labored breathing, vomiting
    Severe--diarrhea (may contain blood or mucous), uncoordination, seizures, collapse

Emergency Cool-Down Procedures

You must get the squirrel cooled down quickly. Seconds count!

1. Bring the squirrel inside.
    2. Dip the squirrel in cool water up to his neck.
    3. Lay the squirrel down on a damp cloth with his head slightly elevated and turn on a fan.
    4. Bathe the squirrel with a cold wet cloth, especially the head and tail areas. Ice packs can be placed around the squirrel (not on him or under him).
    5. Offer a small amount of cool water to drink.
    Note: Keep the squirrel as quiet and still as possible; exercise will cause him to become more overheated.

For mild cases, the above treatment may be enough. For moderate/severe cases, vet care is required to save the squirrel's life. If you don't have a vet, have someone else call around while you continue the cool-down process.

6. Don't stop the cool-down process, even for a minute.
    7. If it's a warm day, run the AC in your car before you transport.
    8. Transport the squirrel quickly to the vet, continuing to bathe the squirrel with a cool washcloth while en route (bring some cold water with you).
    9. When you get to the vet, tell them it's severe heatstroke. They should rush the squirrel to the back for emergency care immediately.
    10. No matter what happens, keep bathing the squirrel in cool water until the squirrel in the vet's hands.

If heatstroke occurs away from home or while traveling. Use the same procedures as above. Use anything you can find to cool the squirrel down. In a pinch, a cold soda or even water from a nearby stream can be used until you can find help.

If you have no access to a vet, try to find a rehabber. If you're on your own, you will need to monitor the squirrel constantly, including his body temperature. Take the squirrel's temperature using a rectal thermometer or a digital ear thermometer. When his temp reaches 103 degrees F, you must stop the cool-down procedures to avoid overcooling. Continue to offer cool water drop by drop.

Most squirrels will not survive moderate/severe heatstroke without IV fluids, which only a vet can provide.

Note: Signs of permanent organ damage may not show up for several hours or even days. The squirrel may seem to recover initially, then get worse later.

A squirrel can develop heatstroke in as little as 10 minutes, even in the shade!

Hi, Thank You for your response. He is definitely warm now, I may not have cooled him off enough/sooner, but we live in a tropical environment so it's pretty darn warm, he's been on my chest (body heat) and under a washcloth. I'm hesitant on warming him any further.... Uh, it's so sad. IS IT HEATSTROKE you think? And do you know if they can recover after a coupe days or am I just basically keeping him comfortable until he passes? I should probably re-direct my attention to the other one a little more. As far as what formula I feed them, it's kind of a concoction. Like I said, I can't buy 90% of the things recommended and take what I can get, modify it to what I think is best and go for it. I've raised a few squirrels with great success and I have to work with what I've got. Besides the liquid electrolytes, I've made a mixture of: 1 part infant formula (best I could find here) 1 part organic raw coconut milk, 1 part probiotic yogurt, (few drops of agave) and 1 part water, not too thick, if it's too thick I add water. I make about 2 weeks worth in separate plastic containers that I freeze and label. I start off feeding them the least concentrated version gradually adding more formula, yogurt, agave and coconut milk with each feeding. In between feedings I'll give them a little raw watermelon juice diluted with water w/ a small amount of mango pulp. Then when their eyes open I'll start supplementing some fruits, etc... These babies have had my formula starting this morning after being on electrolytes for 12 hours. Obama is eating well. Don Julio not. Although he does try to suckle a little so I will put the nipple in his mouth and urge about 1-2 cc worth of formula and electrolytes that I started alternation again (on him only) this afternoon. They are both back in their nest now, -I just fed Don Julio some formula and managed to get him to take 2 more ml.

Default Re: I think my baby squirrel has heat stroke, seizures and now paralyzed! HELP!

...So basically, what you're saying is that he's not going to recover from this and I'm just keeping him comfortable until he dies?
    thanks, I just want to know.
    sad.

Quote Originally Posted by prettymuddy View Post
    ...So basically, what you're saying is that he's not going to recover from this and I'm just keeping him comfortable until he dies?
    thanks, I just want to know.
    sad.
    Just want you to be "prepared".
    We never give up hope, and I know you won't either.
    We have seen MANY miracles on the board, and
    we pray that little JD is one as well.
    Keep doing what you're doing, you are exactly what he needs now.

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Grinderhead (01-28-2017), lukaslolamaus (01-28-2017), prettymuddy (01-30-2017), Scott (01-28-2017)

I've had heatstroke babies survive and I have a sweet little man right now without use of his back legs. Don't give up hope on DJ. He won't until it's time.

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

lukaslolamaus (01-28-2017), Nancy in New York (01-28-2017), prettymuddy (01-30-2017), Scott (01-28-2017)

thank you for all your support. Little Don Julio is still alive, but barely. It kills me to see him like this, so precious, but totally paralyzed. His appetite has actually improved and he's suckling about 2ml every couple hours. I've tried over and over though to stimulate his privates, but he cant feel thing and I vent had any luck getting hime to go. Now I'm afraid to feed him more in case he gets bloated. I just want him to naturally pass over but he's a fighter. So sad.... On a happier note, his brother Obama is doing pretty well. He's normal and crawling everywhere rooting around for the syringe and nipple everything he hears my voice. Managed to get a couple of turds out as well, so.... I think he'll be ok, but his brother? No. So... I'll keep you posted. AGAIN, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to prettymuddy:

Nancy in New York (01-30-2017), Scott (01-30-2017)