Thread: Water Bottles?

Default Water Bottles?

Just asking, I have one ( of three) special need grey that has neurological issues with mobility. Since a baby, I have never been able to wean her from the syringe for her daily water needs. She takes about 12 cc three times daily. I use a 22 gauge butterfly catheter tube; I cut off needle and tubing, leaving about 1/4 inch of tube to the hub that attaches to the syringe ( btw, this makes a soft, flexible feeding tube attachment). Anyhow, it would be wonderful if I could find a water bottle she could learn to drink from? The big rabbit ones don't work

Default Re: Water Bottles?

Are you pushing the water through for her, or is she sucking it out of the catheter tube? I ask because if she's sucking or licking, may be a larger bore tube (like iv tubing) affixed to a hanging rabbit style water bottle would be an idea.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

KarmaKay (01-21-2017), Snicker Bar (01-23-2017)

Thanks for help! She actually just licks as I slowly push the water through the tube . I hold the tube to her mouth, just barely on inside of her lips and she just laps away . My others drink from bowls, but due to her issues she can't steady herself to sit , or prop up to a bowl .

There was another thread and we had the idea of putting a bowl of water outside the cage with a washcloth in the dish and the corner of through the bars so the squirrel she had could lick and suck the water out of the cloth. Or even in the cage, if it's safe. You know, like how hermit crabs drink their water out of a sponge? (But I would def NOT use a sponge.)

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Snicker Bar (01-23-2017)

Ok! Never heard or thought of that , but worth a try! When we are gone for several hours I just hate for her to thirst . Not really even sure what their daily mls of water should be. I just offer what she wants , until she doesn't take any more at least three times daily

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

cava (01-21-2017)

SnickerBar, I don't know if this will work but it is slightly different from the traditional water bottles that have the steel ball in the metal tube. It is basically a test tube with a bent glass tube through a rubber stopper. There is no ball. The water is held in the vessel by vacuum. I bought some to try for my flyers. The only thing I would caution you is that I did break one in my hand pushing the rubber stopper in too much.

http://www.arcatapet.com/test-tube-s...ap00001818.cfm

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Snicker Bar (01-23-2017)

That could possibly work ( did you need stitches, that was painful I'm sure!!) I'll give both ideas a try! She's come such a long way... Whenever our family has travelled ,we have always had to bring her with us. She would only eat a HHB mash (mushed block /banana/water) It had to be fed by hand, ( only mine allowed) and had to be fresh ( no leftovers allowed- picky girl!) due to her healed jaw fractures from her unknown accident that brought her to us. Thankfully she has finally learned to take a block (soaked) into her hands from others; or , if left on her bedding she will eventually find and gather it up to her mouth. So trying to experiment now so our trusted pet sitters can care for her here in her own home with her two foster sisters (she hates being in a cage in camper). I bet one of these will work, thanks!!

Luckily, I didn't get cut but it's a miracle I didn't. Resist the temptation to push it in 'just a tiny bit more'. When the rubber stopper gets hard they do leak a little but it would be better to put a cloth under it to absorb any leakage or just replace it rather than risk getting cut.

It's worth a try. They are relatively cheap. If your girl can get the hang of this type maybe she could graduate to a better water bottle without the problems of this type. I don't have any myself (need to get some) but I have heard that the Lixit brand are a superior type of bottle.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Anne (01-22-2017), Snicker Bar (01-23-2017)

Question Re: Water Bottles?

Glad you didn't need surgery!

I don't know if they still are stocking them or not but I purchased the bottle tube HRT4SQRLS pictured at PetCo and it came with a metal holder. I use them in my flyer cages.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Anne from:

Snicker Bar (01-23-2017)

I'll check it out, thanks! That looks like it's small enough of a dish that she could try to lick without accidentally submerging her head ( she hates getting her face wet!) . Also with that being anchored to something she could hold onto it to steady herself- great ideas, trying them all. Surely she will get the hang of it with one of them!