Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dixie wont wean...

Peachesmom Guest

Default Dixie wont wean...

Dixie will be 4 months old next tues. She will not let go of the formula. She still eats about 9 ccs at night. She has bitten holes in the nipples I bought, now she drinks it from the bowl. I have to make her stop as her belly gets huge. She has a water bottle in her cage, she used it for awhile, but lately I havent seen or heard her drinking from it. I put water in a bowl back in her cage. How can I get her to wean?
    Also, squirrel bites hurt and bleed! I play with her with my feet with socks on, she has nailed both big toes. We dont do that anymore.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Peachesmom from:

gunpackingrandma (02-28-2017)

Default Re: Dixie wont wean...

Quote Originally Posted by Peachesmom View Post
    Dixie will be 4 months old next tues. She will not let go of the formula. She still eats about 9 ccs at night. She has bitten holes in the nipples I bought, now she drinks it from the bowl. I have to make her stop as her belly gets huge. She has a water bottle in her cage, she used it for awhile, but lately I havent seen or heard her drinking from it. I put water in a bowl back in her cage. How can I get her to wean?
    Also, squirrel bites hurt and bleed! I play with her with my feet with socks on, she has nailed both big toes. We dont do that anymore.
    Oh don't get her to wean.
    9 ccs is not much, so if she enjoys it, fantastic!
    Her tummy shouldn't get huge with that small of an amount.
    I keep mine on it as long as they want.
    It's the best "food" you can give them, along with
    blocks.

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

gunpackingrandma (02-28-2017), lennysmom (01-20-2017), SammysMom (01-20-2017), Spanky (01-20-2017)

Lilo is 6 months now and still has formula 2x a day. she taking 30 ml at a time. im trying to keep her on it as long as i can. i figure it is a good defense for mbd

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Eejay:

gunpackingrandma (02-28-2017), Nancy in New York (01-20-2017), SammysMom (01-20-2017)

My fall babies are still taking some formula, and many will right up until release. But you are correct, once they start destroying the nipples a saucer or syringe without nipples is best.

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

KarmaKay (01-20-2017), lennysmom (01-20-2017), Nancy in New York (01-20-2017), SammysMom (01-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Eejay View Post
    Lilo is 6 months now and still has formula 2x a day. she taking 30 ml at a time. im trying to keep her on it as long as i can. i figure it is a good defense for mbd

Absolutely, good for Lilo and for YOU as well.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Eejay (01-20-2017), SammysMom (01-20-2017)

Mine are 7 months and get a shallow dish of formula twice a day and drink it bone dry.

Once mine were able to chunk out pieces of syringes and nipples were long gone, they got the dish. I plan to keep them on it until release (and even after) because it gives me piece of mind that they are having their nutritional needs met.

Good luck with your little one!

12. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

gunpackingrandma (02-28-2017), lennysmom (01-20-2017), SammysMom (01-20-2017), Spanky (01-20-2017)

Peachesmom Guest

Ty to everyone. I thought she needed to wean.
    But if it's better for her to stay on the milk.. So be it. I want whats best for her.
    So she will eventually stop the milk on her own?
    Shes getting new fur on her tail...alot thicker, i just hope she doesnt lose the fluffyness of it. Again, thanks to everyone.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Peachesmom:

cava (01-20-2017), Eejay (01-20-2017), SammysMom (01-20-2017)

Ty to everyone. I thought she needed to wean.
    But if it's better for her to stay on the milk.. So be it. I want whats best for her.
    So she will eventually stop the milk on her own?
    Shes getting new fur on her tail...alot thicker, i just hope she doesnt lose the fluffyness of it. Again, thanks to everyone.
    way less stress with a picky eater!
    i use vitamins when making her block, but i feel for assured knowing she still gets some of what she needs with the formula.
    lol i stress when she drinks less sometimes..worried about her totally weaning herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Absolutely, good for Lilo and for YOU as well.
    lol equally as good.. you know how i worry.. finding her has turned me into a squirrel encylopedia.constantly searching for info. so i am prepared for her next phase.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Eejay from:

Nancy in New York (01-20-2017)

Peachesmom Guest

Ive noticed lately, Dixie is getting alittle aggressive. Shes biting harder, drawing blood. This is during play time. Shes more vocal..when I go to get her, she gripes at me (and my husband). She shows no favorites between us. When we play with her, she runs from me to him ir vice versa, could we be playing to rough with her? Is this normal behavior for them?
    I dont want it to get to the point Im scared to pick her up in fear of being bit. Ty

I'm no expert and I know the folks here can give you a lot more advice, but this being my first couple of squirrels and having them over the winter I can tell you how it went for me.

I don't dare do hand play with mine anymore because it got way too rough and blurred the lines between "she's attacking us all of the time" and "she is trying to give us something" and I was being dive bombed and attacked when I was holding ANYTHING in my hand.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

gunpackingrandma (02-28-2017)

Ive noticed lately, Dixie is getting alittle aggressive. Shes biting harder, drawing blood. This is during play time. Shes more vocal..when I go to get her, she gripes at me (and my husband). She shows no favorites between us. When we play with her, she runs from me to him ir vice versa, could we be playing to rough with her? Is this normal behavior for them?
    I dont want it to get to the point Im scared to pick her up in fear of being bit. Ty
    This is very typical and normal squirrel development. Just part of the reason why TSB does not recommend healthy, un-compromised squirrels as pets as it rarely works out. If Dixie had cage mates / siblings right now you'd likely be surprised at exactly how rough they play with one another at times.

While I am (not yet?) fearful of the overwinters, caution is always exercised whenever handling them at this age.. which is very minimal exactly because of the biting. My better half just loves the little ones, but after about 12 weeks she leaves all handling to me.

You can always use a stuffy, fluffy little toy (no buttons or such choking hazards).

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Peachesmom Guest

I dont think Dixie is drinking water. I use to see and hear her drink from her water bottle. I havent in several weeks now. I put her bowl of water back in her cage.
    Tonight, I made her formula, I used 3 scoops powder and six scoops water. She drank atleast half of it. Her belly was huge. But she does this every night.
    Is she not getting enough fluids? How can i get her to go back to her water bottle?

Peachesmom Guest

Recent of Dixie sitting on my shoulder
    Attached Images Attached Images  

25. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Peachesmom:

gunpackingrandma (02-28-2017), lennysmom (01-26-2017), Nancy in New York (01-26-2017), Scott (01-27-2017)

Peachesmom Guest

Another....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

27. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Peachesmom:

gunpackingrandma (02-28-2017), lennysmom (01-26-2017), Nancy in New York (01-26-2017), Scott (01-27-2017)

Dixie has grown into such a beautiful girl!
    Have you tried using spring water in her water bottle to see if she likes that better? There are some squirrels are picky about their water and spring water has worked in a few cases. I know she is getting some hydration with the formula though. Also, some squirrels seem to drink quite a bit while others not as much. As long as the skin on the back of her neck isn't tenting and she's not showing obvious signs of dehydration like lethargy, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point, especially since she is still taking some formula.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

SammysMom (01-26-2017), Squeekhart (01-27-2017)

Peachesmom Guest

So just buy some gallon water from store?

So just buy some gallon water from store?
    Yes you can try that as long as it's spring water and not distilled water.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

When my girl was young and she started getting rough with her play, my arms would be covered with bloody scratches, so I took some soccer socks from the kids, cut the toe out, cut a thumb hole in it, and she came to now it was playtime when I put on those red socks. It also saved my arms and hands . When she would bite me I would holler out ouch loudly and it would startle her but she learned when she bit me she hurt me. Eventually she was very cautious when on my bare skin to not scratch.. There was no hope for my feet though. I had to wear thick socks and slippers when I used my foot pedal while typing lol! Lord how I miss her.
    My Roxi, my girl forever. She stole my heart. She is gone but never forgotten.

34. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Roxi's mom:

lennysmom (01-27-2017), Nancy in New York (01-27-2017)

Peachesmom Guest

Can I ask what happen to her?
    My skin looks like I had a fight with a briar bush! I have learned to wear my house shoes after being nailed by her on both big toes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.