Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PLEASE HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!

Default Re: PLEASE HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!

Don't be "gentle" enough for him to be in charge. You are much stronger than he is and he is tougher than you think. You can be gentle but firm. Holding him wrapped up on a blanket like a burrito with his face sticking out is what we mean. He is very likely dehydrated. If you can get the hydration mix into him a drop at a time even. Do it every few minutes. He needs the fluids. You will have an easier time getting everything into him once he is hydrated.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

KarmaKay (01-14-2017), mrsmlfb (01-14-2017), Nancy in New York (01-14-2017), Scott (01-15-2017)

Thank you to everyone who gave advice. I just got back from her house and treating the little squirrel. To me it does not seem like he has MBD. I had her remove alot of things that were toxic which could have caused his situation. I also showed her how to properly mix the formula. He actually ate 16cc of formula without any problems. He is favoring his right leg which is more than likely from his leg getting caught in the cage while falling and it caused bruising. He truly is a little sweet heart and I feel that he will make a 100% recovery. He actually started playing with a stuffed animal while I was there. I gave her alot of useful information that will help with his care.
    Central Florida Wildlife Rehabilitation
    Breezy's Legacy
    Longwood, Florida
    (386)295-1912
    http://breezyslegacy.webs.com

We cover the following counties: Volusia, Lake, Orange and Seminole. We accept all small & medium sized wildlife and unwanted exotics 24/7. We do not accept birds of pray, snakes, bears, deer, big cats, coyotes, dogs or cats but we will help you place them if it is needed. You can call or email us if our help is needed breezyslegacy@gmail.com

4. 9 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DawnMarie:

Anne (01-15-2017), BCChins (01-15-2017), Carreegirl (01-15-2017), farm mom (01-19-2017), HRT4SQRLS (01-15-2017), island rehabber (01-15-2017), lennysmom (01-15-2017), Rexie (04-21-2017), Scott (01-15-2017)

Thank you Dawn Marie for helping SugarPlum and his mom. Getting him to take formula is HUGE. This will go a long way in his general health and recovery.

While I do feel that an injury to the leg is likely due to a fall, I feel it is also highly probably that this downward spiral is due to the diet and low calcium. I'm afraid there were way too many nuts in the diet. The symptoms and the diet are hallmarks of the most common ailment that we see here. I'm glad you were able to evaluate and possibly detect other factors that might be involved. With this said, I still feel it is important to continue the supplemental calcium. There is no downside. The extra calcium can only help.

mrsmlfb, you have taken some major steps today to help SugarPlum. Thank you!
    I know you love the little guy. They are SO easy to love. I would like to summarize some of the information that you received today so that it will be in one place.

(1) SugarPlums diet needs to change. Nuts/seeds are very unhealthy for captive squirrels and should only be given as treats.

(2) Here is the link to the healthy diet. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

(3) Because of the diet, MBD is highly likely. Luckily, due to the young age, and your recognizing the need for immediate help, SugarPlum can make a full recovery.

(4) Continue the formula as long as he will take it. This is one of the easiest way to get calcium into him.

(5) When the Henry's blocks arrive, start him on the block right away. He should only have 1 or 2 per day.... NO more. They have concentrated minerals and vitamins so too many of these will result in oversupplementation. Over supplementing is bad also and unnecessary.

(6) The Henry's block or a rodent block is vitally important for maintaining the health of a pet squirrel. In captivity, they just can't meet their nutritional requirements from greens and vegetables. In the wild, they eat all sorts of things that we can't reproduce so the block is required.

(7) I would continue the treatment for MBD. There might be other issue here as pointed out by Dawn but LOW calcium is certainly one of them. IF he continues to take formula and IF he eats the Henry's block, I feel the MBD treatment time will be decreased.

I expect a full recovery and return to his former happy, playful, silly self.
    Thanks for loving him enough to keep pressing for answers. You saved his life no doubt.

Thank you Dawn Marie for going the extra mile!

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (01-15-2017), lennysmom (01-15-2017), Mel1959 (01-15-2017), Nancy in New York (01-15-2017), PennyCash (01-15-2017), Scott (01-15-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123