Thread: New to board! HELP! Coconut oil & diarrhea

aprilhoffman78 Guest

Exclamation New to board! HELP! Coconut oil & diarrhea

Hello! I have two male squirrels about 5 1/2 months old that I have had before their eyes were open. Ive had several unsuccessful release attempts. I live in Missouri so when the winter approached I kept them and plan to release again int he spring. There is a major squirrel bully that has attacked my Louie and Dewey, I cant help to even think it may be one of these boys mom or dad.. but I have had pretty good luck with the information on here with raising them. I did give them Coconut oil last night and again today for the first time and Dewey has diarrhea now.. this is a first big crisis so any opninions on the cocunut oil if that has what caused it. Louie is fine he ate the same amount but dewey not so much.

Default Re: New to board! HELP! Coconut oil & diarrhea

Yes, coconut oil can cause diarrhea and is a common home remedy for constipation. Ingesting pure coconut oil on an empty stomach is even more likely to result in the runs...

Edit: I got to wondering what made you want to feed them pure coconut oil?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SammysMom (01-04-2017)

aprilhoffman78 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Yes, coconut oil can cause diarrhea and is a common home remedy for constipation. Ingesting pure coconut oil on an empty stomach is even more likely to result in the runs...

Edit: I got to wondering what made you want to feed them pure coconut oil?

thank you soo much for replying. Dewey has always had abit of course fur vs Louie nice and shiny. After reading about coconut oil, I thought well give it a shot. I'm going to pause on that. Deweys healthy with his fur even if its not as shiny. Dewey is feeling better. I was definitely freaking out earlier. These little creatures are so intricate on their diets. <3

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to aprilhoffman78 from:

SammysMom (01-04-2017)

Extra hydration ALWAYS with diarrhea.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

I'd be careful with the coconut oil. I'd ask the other seasoned members about their opinions.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KarmaKay from:

Quote Originally Posted by aprilhoffman78 View Post
    Hello! I have two male squirrels about 5 1/2 months old that I have had before their eyes were open. Ive had several unsuccessful release attempts. I live in Missouri so when the winter approached I kept them and plan to release again int he spring. There is a major squirrel bully that has attacked my Louie and Dewey, I cant help to even think it may be one of these boys mom or dad.. but I have had pretty good luck with the information on here with raising them. I did give them Coconut oil last night and again today for the first time and Dewey has diarrhea now.. this is a first big crisis so any opninions on the cocunut oil if that has what caused it. Louie is fine he ate the same amount but dewey not so much.
    Where do you live in Missouri? I'm in Springfield Illinois, which is about 1 1/2 hours away from St. Louis. Have you read about soft releases? Why were your attempts unsuccessful?

aprilhoffman78 Guest

@ Karma Kay I live about 20 miles east of Kansas City. My neighbor is a rehabber that has helped me. The releases were unsuccfessful due to weather conditions and bully squirrels in my backyard.When I say bully I truly mean it.. if this certain squirrel sees mine in the window sills it attacks the screen from the outside towards them Which my neighbor and I are working together this spring for another release attempt with a new territory now that we have a new neighbor that doesnt hate squirrels

aprilhoffman78 Guest

Update on Dewy! I immediately started the water, salt and sugar with another bowl of water put him in a seperate cage infront of the window just to be careful and when I got home form work 5 hours later.. he has been zooming around. Freshly energized. thank you all for your responses. It just surprised me that they both ate the same amount and affected Dewey differently.

Each of these guys is different and affected differently by foods, likes and dislikes. One drop of the coconut oil shouldn't hurt just not more for Mr. Sensitive!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.