Thread: Southern flying squirrel who doesn't climb

Default Southern flying squirrel who doesn't climb

I am rehabilitating two orphaned flying squirrels. They are not sibs but both are around 10-12 weeks old and are in a large cage. One of them does not want to climb the sides of the cage, or branches in the cage. If let out of the cage overnight, she is found in a ball in the corner of the room in the morning, even though the cage is open. She spends almost all of her time, evenings included, in her nesting box (yup I know they are nocturnal).

I hesitate to release her unless she shows more interesting in moving around and climbing. I'd appreciate any comments regarding her situation or any suggestions to get her ready for releasing.

Default Re: Southern flying squirrel who doesn't climb

This little one definitely is not behaving normally. It is possible that you just have a late bloomer on your hands. How long have they been off formula? What formula were you using? How is her appetite and eating habits?
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Anne from:

Default Re: Southern flying squirrel who doesn't climb

not normal.. Maybe non-releasable..