Thread: Found squirrel,2 broken legs.

bthompson1993 Guest

Exclamation Found squirrel,2 broken legs.

I am in Florida (not sure if that matters) and found a grown squirrel dragging itself across the road, unable to use its back legs. I have called the wildlife rescues close to me, and they suggested to just release it. There are 6+ cats in my neighborhood, and cannot stand the thought of it dragging itself to its own death. It is currently in a cat carrier on a heating pad, with cat food, water and apple slices. it has taken a few nibbles from one of the apple slices, but really no other movement. Is there anything else I should be doing?? I have taken care of baby squirrels before but never a grown injured squirrel! Please Help!

Default Re: Found squirrel,2 broken legs.

Where in Florida?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Thank you for helping him/her. It could also be an injury to its spine. I know there are others on here that have dealt with spinal or leg injuries. Hopefully, they will be along soon. In the meantime, have you put some fleece, t shirts or blankets in with it so it can burrow under them? Please don't use towels as they can get their toenails caught on them. Do you have any infant ibuprofen or meloxicam? If you can locate some that would be helpful as the medication will help with pain and swelling. Someone with more experience than myself will be able to help you dose it, if you can locate some.

Make sure the heating pad is set on low and only under half the kennel so that it can move off the heat if it gets too warm. It probably won't eat cat food but for the short term will probably eat avocado (only the flesh, no skin or pit) almonds, pecans, maybe some cereal like rice Chex. Nuts are not a preferred food for squirrels long term and a more suitable staple food like squirrel blocks will be necessary.

Ask MissPixy for some advice... She has a little one with two limited back legs.. She may have some advice..

bthompson1993 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Where in Florida?
    Tallahassee Florida

Quote Originally Posted by bthompson1993 View Post
    I am in Florida (not sure if that matters) and found a grown squirrel dragging itself across the road, unable to use its back legs. I have called the wildlife rescues close to me, and they suggested to just release it. There are 6+ cats in my neighborhood, and cannot stand the thought of it dragging itself to its own death. It is currently in a cat carrier on a heating pad, with cat food, water and apple slices. it has taken a few nibbles from one of the apple slices, but really no other movement. Is there anything else I should be doing?? I have taken care of baby squirrels before but never a grown injured squirrel! Please Help!
    Even if this injured one is going into it's next journey it should be in the safety of peace.
    Even a wild animal deserves dignity. Thank you for your compassion!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Nancy in New York (12-21-2016), Scott (12-21-2016)

bthompson1993 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Thank you for helping him/her. It could also be an injury to its spine. I know there are others on here that have dealt with spinal or leg injuries. Hopefully, they will be along soon. In the meantime, have you put some fleece, t shirts or blankets in with it so it can burrow under them? Please don't use towels as they can get their toenails caught on them. Do you have any infant ibuprofen or meloxicam? If you can locate some that would be helpful as the medication will help with pain and swelling. Someone with more experience than myself will be able to help you dose it, if you can locate some.

Make sure the heating pad is set on low and only under half the kennel so that it can move off the heat if it gets too warm. It probably won't eat cat food but for the short term will probably eat avocado (only the flesh, no skin or pit) almonds, pecans, maybe some cereal like rice Chex. Nuts are not a preferred food for squirrels long term and a more suitable staple food like squirrel blocks will be necessary.
    The heating pad is set on low, but folded so he/she can move to the front of the box if it gets too warm, along with small blankets. under
    a different thread someone had suggested cat food, which is why I tried it. she/he has loved the apples so far. I will pick up the childrens ibuprofen ASAP

bthompson1993 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aplmak View Post
    Ask MissPixy for some advice... She has a little one with two limited back legs.. She may have some advice..
    How do I contact her? I am new here

Apples are great as they will help hydrate too. Get infant ibuprofen NOT childrens. Infants will be a smaller dose as it is more concentrated.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

TubeDriver (12-21-2016)

Do we any updates?
    This could also be MBD.

I doubt that both back legs are broken although it is possible. It is more likely that it is due to a spinal injury. I would highly recommend that you get some meloxicam (Metacam). You would need to get it from a vet. We can help you dose it. If the spinal cord isn't severed there might be hope. Swelling due to a spinal injury can compress the cord and cause paralysis. Metacam would reduce the swelling and possibly the squirrel could regain function of the legs. We have seen MANY squirrels regain function of the back legs when an anti inflammatory is given. I have one myself. She will be released in the spring. Her spine was shaped like a boomerang. Metacam saved her.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

TubeDriver (12-21-2016)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.