Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutkin losing his sight!

Default Nutkin losing his sight!

My beloved squirrel Nutkin, who will be 10 years old in February, is losing his sight.

He has a few signs of ageing now, slowing down and sleeping more, but has been fit, active and eating well until now.

I noticed recently that he has been bumping into things and has difficulty in finding his plate of food which is usually on our living room floor with his other bits and pieces of berries etc. He's used to eating this way as he likes company. I usually sit with him. His left eye seems quite useless, but there are some signs that he has a little sight in his right eye. There is nothing obviously wrong for this sight loss, no discharge from the eye, he's had no falls and apart from his age I can't think that anything has happened to him that might have caused his loss of vision. He's with us all the time and has a free run of the house, but has his own large cage to sleep in. He's even litter trained and understands about 10 commands so is very intelligent, as are all squiggs!

Is it normally expected that a squirrel of Nutkin's age can start to lose their sight? It was only apparent recently and I looked into his eye and found a cloudy area (possibly a cataract?) on one eye and a partial cloudy area on the other. People tell me that almost 10 is a good age for a squirrel and that I should expect some problems, but he's always been so well, apart from the odd problem that has sorted itself and maybe I can't accept that he's getting old.

He's quite able to be handled by me, particularly now his eyes aren't as good as they were, but the thought of taking him to a vet or getting an exotics vet to call here, will I'm sure terrify him and he would never trust me afterwards. He's fine with me, but not with other people.

I guess what I'm asking is, do you think a 10 year old squirrel is a good age and this is all part and parcel of what is happening to him or do you think I should intervene and get expert help, even though it would really upset him?

I'm OK with knowing what to do to make his life easier as I have a visually impaired son so have learnt a lot from him. I have already adapted Nutkin's cage and made the areas he lives and moves about in safe and clearly marked for him.

One last thing, he doesn't seem interested in food much and has lost a little weight (currently 625g and dropping), so is this because it's winter time here and he's hell bent on hiding every nut he comes in contact with or just because it's winter time?

I guess what I'm asking is can I do anything further to help Nutkin? I love him with a passion and he's my 'little boy'. I know how much you all care about your squiggs, young or old, so can you please give me some advice or a bit of support?

Love to you all and thanks.

Jenny x

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jenny H:

lennysmom (12-17-2016), SammysMom (12-17-2016), Scott (12-19-2016), stosh2010 (12-19-2016)

Default Re: Nutkin losing his sight!

10 is a wonderfully senior age for a squirrel, and it is a testament to your good care of him!
    I think cataracts are, unfortunately, a common problem in older squirrels and mammals in general.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Jenny H (12-18-2016), Rocky1 (01-02-2017), SammysMom (12-17-2016), Scott (12-19-2016)

I can feel your love for him in every word you wrote. You have done, and are doing, a wonderful job making your Nutkin's life full of love and happiness. I agree with IR that it is totally normal for cataracts to happen as we mammals age.
    Keep up your wonderful care and if weight is an issue, try offering things like avocado that are full of healthy fat.
    Thank-you for sharing your Nutkin with us!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Jenny H (12-18-2016), Scott (12-19-2016)

Thank you both so much for your kind words.

We were quite worried about Nutkin last night as he was lethargic, not eating and spending a lot of time trying to pee, but with very little coming out. I think that it's not just his eyesight that is a problem but maybe he's ageing in other ways. We gave him plenty of water to drink by syringe last night and he seemed a little better today, but he's a little slower than normal. His diet has been a little haywire lately and he hasn't kept to what he should be eating as he's being naughty and wanting more nuts, sweetcorn and tomato and leaving his usual food. I know he shouldn't have these few 'treats'. I have given him some avocado and other foods to help him put a bit of weight on but he's very picky. Some of the symptoms he has look frighteningly like MBD but no sign of loss of use of back legs fortunately. He always has a Calcium and Vit D additive to his drinking water (1 drop per 100 mls) and I sprinkle a pinch of calcium on his food. This was given to me by a very experienced squirrel rescuer/rehabber who lives in the next County. Is there such a thing as too much calcium, which I reckon might possibly have an adverse effect on his kidneys or bladder? I worry about stones maybe or calcification? I'm trying to do what's right for Nutkin as I love him very much so if you have any tips or advice I would welcome your help. Thank you so much. Jenny xx

I would love to see if Nutkin would eat some of these: http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-b...adult-formula/

All of us feed these and 2 a day means you don't have to give ANY additional calcium as a supplement - it is all in the food.

May I suggest increasing the number and location of water for him? Sometimes it is easier to just turn over and go back to sleep rather than get up and trek for water. If it is right there by them, they will drink more.

Ensure - the human meal replacement shakes - are sweet and have lots of calories and nutrients. Some squirrels love them and for short term meal boosting they can be very helpful.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Jenny H (12-18-2016), missPixy (12-21-2016)

Nutkin's water is on his shelf where his sleep basket is. It's about 5 inches from where he gets in his bed, so very near and no effort for him to take a drink which he frequently does.
    I tried Henry's 'Picky' blocks for him a few years ago and ordered them from the US as I felt this was the best option for him. He was over 5 years old at the time, and just wouldn't take to them. I even tried making my own blocks, but there was no way I could persuade him to eat them. I took all his other food away and even let him get a bit hungry but he craftily found his way round the house and came back with nuts that he had hidden away! He's very clever! He hated the blocks.
    I haven't tried Ensure. I'm not sure it's available here in the UK. I will investigate that. If I did try him with this I'm pretty sure he wouldn't eat it and I would have to syringe feed him which would make him very upset. At his age, it's quite difficult to make drastic changes. If I can find Ensure, I will certainly try it and thank you so much for your advice.
    I really appreciate all the good advice and help you lovely people are giving me. I will try anything to help my darling boy.
    I truly love all animals and have had many in my lifetime, but for some reason squirrels leave a big mark on your heart and they are unique, wonderful, intelligent animals. Nothing compares to the love I get from Nutkin and I would do anything for him.
    Thank you so much. x

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jenny H:

SammysMom (12-18-2016), Scott (12-19-2016), stosh2010 (02-14-2017)

What concerns me the most is the added vitamins and calcium in his water. Vitamin D in high doses is used to harm rodents (rodenticide). Vitamin D is fat soluble so it stores in the body rather than flushing through like other vitamins do. I would stop adding anything to his water. Putting calcium (without added D) on his food is okay in moderation, but I hate to see anything added to a squirrel's water source.
    I would definitely STOP adding vitamin D to anything. He has had it for a long time and should have a considerable amount in his body as it is.
    I hope this old gentleman feels better very soon. The trying to pee without success makes me also wonder about kidney stones. Stones are unused calcium that is left in the kidney so perhaps stopping the calcium for now is also a good idea. Maybe he has a urinary tract infection? Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

missPixy (12-21-2016), Rocky1 (01-02-2017)

Thank you for your concerns. I'm so glad to hear from anyone with good ideas. The water additive with Vit D plus Calcium was only recently given to me from a rehabber who has a brilliant exotics vet and who recommended this to him. In fact it's the first time I have dosed his water with it. The correct dosage is 1ml per every 200mls of water. (I think I may have typed the wrong dose in my previous post.) The Calcium Nutkin gets separately is from the same person and is just calcium, no Vit D. Only a tiny pinch is put on his food daily. He doesn't eat half of his food anyway, he's so picky. I know Vit D in excess is extremely dangerous, in humans too.

I was thinking the same as you about whether this could be kidney or bladder stones. The thing is could it be MBD as his diet has changed and he's eating 'naughty food' which I've allowed him for a while just to keep his interest in eating. That's why I've ensured he has adequate calcium.

I contacted an exotic vet today and asked for a telephone consultation. She finally got back to me and wouldn't prescribe any ABs unless she saw Nutkin first, even if I got a water sample from him to test. She also said she was too busy today to offer a home visit or appointment at the surgery which is 30 miles away! Nutkin would have been frantic on a journey like this. As the general consensus of opinion through my rehabber friends is that he may have another UTI, as he's had one previously, which was confirmed by a urine sample at our previous vets when I lived in Devon. Our vet there was fabulous, but here in Somerset, they are a bit more 'by the book' and very unhelpful unless you have a dog or cat!

It's hard to know what direction to go in. If I leave off the calcium and it's MBD, that's bad and if I give him calcium and he has stones or calcification in his bladder or kidneys, that's very bad too. I thought first I would try some Synulox ABs from a friend in the next County who can deliver me some today. I'm thinking that maybe it is an infection and we should know soon if this is the right way to go. Would you agree?

Thank you so much for being so helpful and keeping in touch. x

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jenny H from:

SammysMom (12-19-2016)

It looks as though it may be similar to our Clavamox. I am going to ask one of the best medical brains the question. Before you give any of it, please post here exactly what it is as far as how much of each compoment of the med is in it. A picture of the box would be terrific!

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Nancy in New York (12-19-2016), Scott (12-19-2016), TubeDriver (12-19-2016)

My guys love the ENSURE in Chocolate and in Vanilla.
    (Strawberry--?--not so much, they wouldn't touch it)
    In the U.K. there are similar products available:
    --ENLIVE
    --Build Up
    I do not know how the actual ingredients match up....
    If you go to a Chemist (pharmacy) they will write a prescription !!! (yikes- here it is sold in every supermarket...)
    Then if you are near a "BOOTS" store, they can order it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny H View Post
    Thank you for your concerns. I'm so glad to hear from anyone with good ideas. The water additive with Vit D plus Calcium was only recently given to me from a rehabber who has a brilliant exotics vet and who recommended this to him. In fact it's the first time I have dosed his water with it. The correct dosage is 1ml per every 200mls of water. (I think I may have typed the wrong dose in my previous post.) The Calcium Nutkin gets separately is from the same person and is just calcium, no Vit D. Only a tiny pinch is put on his food daily. He doesn't eat half of his food anyway, he's so picky. I know Vit D in excess is extremely dangerous, in humans too.

I was thinking the same as you about whether this could be kidney or bladder stones. The thing is could it be MBD as his diet has changed and he's eating 'naughty food' which I've allowed him for a while just to keep his interest in eating. That's why I've ensured he has adequate calcium.

I contacted an exotic vet today and asked for a telephone consultation. She finally got back to me and wouldn't prescribe any ABs unless she saw Nutkin first, even if I got a water sample from him to test. She also said she was too busy today to offer a home visit or appointment at the surgery which is 30 miles away! Nutkin would have been frantic on a journey like this. As the general consensus of opinion through my rehabber friends is that he may have another UTI, as he's had one previously, which was confirmed by a urine sample at our previous vets when I lived in Devon. Our vet there was fabulous, but here in Somerset, they are a bit more 'by the book' and very unhelpful unless you have a dog or cat!

It's hard to know what direction to go in. If I leave off the calcium and it's MBD, that's bad and if I give him calcium and he has stones or calcification in his bladder or kidneys, that's very bad too. I thought first I would try some Synulox ABs from a friend in the next County who can deliver me some today. I'm thinking that maybe it is an infection and we should know soon if this is the right way to go. Would you agree?

Thank you so much for being so helpful and keeping in touch. x
    I found an interesting read.
    This is for humans, but I would assume the same precautions/suggestions can be used
    for animals.

How can I lower my chances of forming calcium oxalate stones?

Drink enough fluids. The number one thing you can do is to drink enough fluids, like water. Drinking enough fluids will thin out your urine and make it harder for chemicals to build up and form crystals.

Avoid eating too much protein. Eating too many foods high in protein can cause stones to form.

Eat less salt (sodium). A diet high in salt (sodium) causes calcium to build in your urine. Too much calcium in your urine can lead to new stones. It can also cause your bones to weaken.

Include the right amount of calcium in your diet. Some people may think they can keep stones from forming by avoiding calcium, but the opposite is true. Calcium is a nutrient that is found in dairy products, such as yogurt, milk and cheese. You need to eat calcium so that it can bind with oxalate in the stomach and intestines before it moves to the kidneys. Eating foods with calcium is a good way for oxalates to leave the body and not form stones. The best way to get calcium into your body is through the foods you eat. It may seem easier to increase your calcium by taking a supplement. However, calcium in the form of a supplement may raise your chances of forming new calcium oxalate stones.

Eat less oxalate-rich foods. Limiting how many oxalate-rich foods you eat each day may help lower your chance of forming new stones. There are some foods you should avoid because of their high oxalate levels. Some foods very high in oxalate a
    Nuts
    Rhubarb
    Beets
    Chocolate soy milk
    All BranŽ
    Buckwheat flour
    Miso
    Tahini
    Sesame seeds
    Swiss chard

Should I cut out all foods that have oxalate or calcium?

No, this is a common mistake. Some people think that cutting out all foods that have oxalate — or all foods with calcium — will keep stones from forming. However, this approach is not healthy. It can lead to poor nutrition and can cause other health problems. A better plan? Eat and drink calcium and oxalate-rich foods together during a meal. Doing this helps oxalate and calcium “bind” to one another in the stomach and intestines before reaching the kidneys, making it less likely for kidney stones to form in the urine.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 12-19-2016 at 04:17 PM.

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Rexie (12-19-2016), SammysMom (12-19-2016), Squeekhart (02-07-2017)

Hi! I am so very sorry your Nutkin has been having problems. I know we all love our sqee's very much.
    You are indeed doing a great job with your sweet boy, to get him to a healthy 10!

I am afraid my mind went somewhere else when I hears your sweet boys symptoms. ( perhaps this is because I am a nurse)

The first thing I thought of when I read the list of all of his symptoms, was diabetes. Along with his age, and especially his weight loss, and failing eyesight and difficulties urinating, I'm afraid diabetes was the first thing I thought of.

If you think about it, diabetes, or the failure to process sugar products properly, basically goes right to your kidneys.( which is why so many severe diabetics end up needing dialys to cleanse their blood)

The kidneys control blood pressure, and you end up not having good circulation to the eyes.

I do not know that this is what Nutkins problem is, but it is surely one of the first things I would look into.

It is possible that by very strictly observing a proper squirrel diet, that many of his problems may lessen. This of course would be dependent on how much actual organ involvement there is.

I am sending my best wishes and oodles of healing energies toyou and your little man.

22. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to czarina:

Jenny H (12-21-2016), missPixy (12-21-2016), Nancy in New York (12-19-2016), Rexie (12-19-2016), Rocky1 (01-02-2017), Squeekhart (02-07-2017)

How is he doing this evening

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rexie:

czarina (12-20-2016), Jenny H (12-21-2016)

Does anyone know how nutkin is

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rexie from:

Jenny H (12-21-2016)

Sorry I haven't been in touch until now, guys, but Nutkin is still with us but losing weight fast. I have contacted a former vet of ours who once gave him Vit B12 orally one drop per week and he's trying to contact my current vet to get some made up for me. I remember that this gave Nutkin quite a boost in his appetite.

He has dropped 37g in 4 days and is now 569g so quite a weight loss. I know the weight loss is quite rapid but is his current weight of 569g much too low?

He is nibbling bits and pieces of food and is peeing OK still. He's drinking a fair bit and peeing a fair bit, so kidneys may not be great!

I'm doing everything I can think of short of a vet's appointment which would terrify him. The vets down here are pretty useless, always booked up and insisting that they won't prescribe anything without seeing him first. They also insist on a full examination and anaesthetic to do tests! Fortunately I have friends (like yourselves) that I can call on for help and advice.

Also, can diabetes or kidney failure be confirmed by a urine sample? I'm pretty sure I could get a specimen.

Just heard from one of the vets who rang me back. She is happy to test a urine specimen for me, but unless I bring Nutkin in for a full examination, she will be unable to prescribe any medication for him should he need it! No vet will let us have any Vitamin B12 either! I could probably get some from a health food shop here or chemist, but to work out the amount Nutkin should have will be difficult if it's geared for human use. Can you overdose on Vitamin B12?

I'm getting precious little help here from anyone, except yourselves and my squigg friends.

It's all so annoying that Christmas is almost here and everything shuts down for the holidays. Our animals always seem to be ill at the most difficult times. Poor little souls.

My lovely boy is getting to skinny. I really don't want to have to force feed him with syringe as he hates it. I'm sitting beside him passing him bits of food and he's only nibbling little bits of it. It must be difficult with his lack of eyesight too as I don't think squirrels have a very good sense of smell.

Anyone know where I should go from here? Love to you all xxx

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jenny H from:

Nancy in New York (12-21-2016)

Thank you so much for the update!
    Yes, diabetes can be confirmed from a urine specimem, it would show the level of sugar and ketones in his urine.
    But usually the test is done with fresh urine.

You absolutely don't want to take him to the vet? The lady vet sounded nice.
    Weight loss is always a very serious symptom.

And yes, you can overdose on vitamin B12.
    Maybe someone here could figure out an appropriate dose for him?

Will a vet make a house call there?

I am so sorry your precious Nutkin is going through this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to czarina from:

Jenny H (12-21-2016)

Do they have Ensure there? It is that high protein milkshake like drink, that we give to the elderly?
    You must at least have something similar.
    They all love the butter pecan flavor. But even most will take the vanilla.

This will at least give your boy some added calories and energy.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to czarina from:

Jenny H (12-21-2016)

Yes - they may not be marketed under the brand name Ensure though. They are meal replacement drinks that are primarily targeted to seniors who often don't get the nutrition they need. They are NOT diet shakes. The idea is tons of nutrients in a relatively small volume of food, which is sweet and many squirrels like it. I would check your local grocer or drug store/pharmacy to see what they have. He may be willing to lap it off of a shallow dish.

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Jenny H (12-21-2016)

Also, you could put a heating pad half under his cage. The warmth might make him feel better. Only half way, so he can crawl away if he gets too hot.

Make sure he can't chew the cord.

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to czarina from:

Jenny H (12-21-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by czarina View Post

And yes, you can overdose on vitamin B12.
    Maybe someone here could figure out an appropriate dose for him?

Does anyone have any ideas?
    I think that Leigh may know how much Vitamin B12 is safe for a squirrel.
    Jenny H perhaps you can reach out to her via pm.
    Prayers for your little Nutkin and for you.
    Would Ensure be a good choice with "suspected" diabetes?
    Would Glucerna be a better option?

38. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

czarina (12-21-2016), Jenny H (12-21-2016), Scott (12-21-2016)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast