Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Daughter brought home baby flyer from work.

Default Re: Daughter brought home baby flyer from work.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I have to go to bed now but I do have a recommendation on the cage. I'll post tomorrow. The cage is fine but it needs wrappings on the edges. It has pinch points where the panels come together. Tucker lost toes on his front paws due to a cage with pinch points.
    OK now see where you said toes on front paws..whew! Yes please tell me about wrapping the edges.
    My Roxi, my girl forever. She stole my heart. She is gone but never forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxi's mom View Post
    Thank you. That information is helpful. I do have the bird watering dish thing in the corner of the cage where the two
    Panels lock together. You said your flyer lost his two front paws or a finger on each front paw? Both paws would be just awful, and as well as fingers, but without use of any paws...how awful 😭🤕
    Oh no, he didn't loose the paws, just a couple toes, one on each paw. It doesn't slow him down one little bit. He is my best wheel runner.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but the way to correct this is to take a long strip of fleece about an inch wide. Start at the bottom. Secure the fleece at the bottom edge. Pull the fleece tight and start wrapping the panel edges ... in and out, in and out, pulling the fleece tight as you go. The tight fleece will become rope like. Continue going up with the fleece rope. Wrap the loops close so that the wire is completely covered. It took me about an hour and a half to do an entire cage but when I was done the junction where the panels come together (the pics points) was completely covered. It eliminates the hazard of toes sliding into a pinch area. It is actually a common problem with this type of cage (panel). There have been many toe injuries from them.

Oh no, he didn't loose the paws, just a couple toes, one on each paw. It doesn't slow him down one little bit. He is my best wheel runner.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but the way to correct this is to take a long strip of fleece about an inch wide. Start at the bottom. Secure the fleece at the bottom edge. Pull the fleece tight and start wrapping the panel edges ... in and out, in and out, pulling the fleece tight as you go. The tight fleece will become rope like. Continue going up with the fleece rope. Wrap the loops close so that the wire is completely covered. It took me about an hour and a half to do an entire cage but when I was done the junction where the panels come together (the pics points) was completely covered. It eliminates the hazard of toes sliding into a pinch area. It is actually a common problem with this type of cage (panel). There have been many toe injuries from them.
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering if getting a hamster to keep Theo company was a good or bad idea?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to play with a little flying squirrel and how to keep them occupied and happy for a little while? Also, are they small enough for a hamster wheel?
    I use the Magnum wheel. It is the same as a Stealth wheel but it has a vinyl coated wire track. Flyers will eat the plastic mesh track on the Stealth wheel. They are a bit expensive though. (Approx $50) There are other wheels that are cheaper. Just don't get a wheel that has a side bar on it. Tucker will run SUPER fast on the wheel and then jump out suddenly. A side bar could cause a serious injury by doing this. There is a wheel made for sugar gliders that is similar to the Stealth wheel but it's expensive also.

Just as a heads up, not all flyers will use a wheel. I bought the wheel for Bonzai but he NEVER used it at all. Tucker loves it. Wilson will give it a spin occasionally. I would buy a cheap wheel before I bought the expensive wheel that might not be used.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if getting a hamster to keep Theo company was a good or bad idea?
    No, it wouldn't work. Flyers are the night shift. Hamsters are the day shift.

He is still pretty young. He might accept a juvenile brother but I would make 100% certain it was a brother... know what I mean!!!

No, it wouldn't work. Flyers are the night shift. Hamsters are the day shift.

He is still pretty young. He might accept a juvenile brother but I would make 100% certain it was a brother... know what I mean!!!
    LOL, yes I know what you mean. I put Theo in his new home and now I don't see him as much as when I carried him around with me to feed him his formula, and he now seems scared of me or wary of me . What can I do? He slept in his pouch for about 4-5 hours yesterday. He used to run all over me and hang by his back feet if I bent over something to check out what I was doing. Now he runs for cover in my shirt. . Also, what can I use for a potty place for him? . How would I find a brother for him?

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Scott (02-07-2017)

I use the Magnum wheel. It is the same as a Stealth wheel but it has a vinyl coated wire track. Flyers will eat the plastic mesh track on the Stealth wheel. They are a bit expensive though. (Approx $50) There are other wheels that are cheaper. Just don't get a wheel that has a side bar on it. Tucker will run SUPER fast on the wheel and then jump out suddenly. A side bar could cause a serious injury by doing this. There is a wheel made for sugar gliders that is similar to the Stealth wheel but it's expensive also.

Just as a heads up, not all flyers will use a wheel. I bought the wheel for Bonzai but he NEVER used it at all. Tucker loves it. Wilson will give it a spin occasionally. I would buy a cheap wheel before I bought the expensive wheel that might not be used.
    His cage came with a solid plastic wheel with no spokes. I have seen him hop in it but hop right back out. He doesn't use the ramps either. They are solid plastic now too. I combined the shelves somewhat from the two cages. He has a small plastic hut that came with the cage with the wheel. It's cute. He just needs to discover the ramps himself. I just need a potty corner now...

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Scott (02-07-2017)

LOL, yes I know what you mean. I put Theo in his new home and now I don't see him as much as when I carried him around with me to feed him his formula, and he now seems scared of me or wary of me . What can I do? He slept in his pouch for about 4-5 hours yesterday. He used to run all over me and hang by his back feet if I bent over something to check out what I was doing. Now he runs for cover in my shirt. . Also, what can I use for a potty place for him? . How would I find a brother for him?
    I only have 1 flyer that will use a potty box. It is a plastic corner box that is high on the back and low in the front. It has a very shallow layer of CareFresh in the bottom. Bonzai uses one corner of the box.

No luck finding a brother for Theo. That's OK though, I tried to get a friend for Bonzai and they didn't bond. Of course, Bon was older at the time so I guess it was too late.

How is Theo?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Scott (02-07-2017)

I only have 1 flyer that will use a potty box. It is a plastic corner box that is high on the back and low in the front. It has a very shallow layer of CareFresh in the bottom. Bonzai uses one corner of the box.

No luck finding a brother for Theo. That's OK though, I tried to get a friend for Bonzai and they didn't bond. Of course, Bon was older at the time so I guess it was too late.

How is Theo?
    He usually uses the fleece in the same spot I think...and me ;o) I haven't been using looking for a brother for him. I have thought about it but actually getting him a friend would not sit well with my husband. He is doing well but he won't eat chicken or veggies. He loves the mealworms and wax worms even more, his formula and blocks and yogurt with ano all natural green juice with veggies and fruit mixture. I read the ingredients and I don't give him much anyway. I also give him half an almond a couple of times a week.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Scott (02-07-2017)

This is the dog biscuits.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Scott (02-07-2017)

Scott does that mean these are approved for Flyers in place of cooked chicken?

IDK RoxisMom. That would be OK for an occasional treat but I wouldn't use it regularly as a protein source. The first ingredient is wheat flour so I think it's probably mostly carbohydrates . My boys don't like chicken either. I rarely serve it anymore. I do buy a dog treat called PureBites dehydrated chicken. It has 74% protein and only one ingredient... dehydrated chicken, no preservatives. I buy it at PetSuperMarket. It's a little cheaper there ($8). PetCo has it also but their price is higher. I once saw a small bag at PetsMart that you could try. It was a couple dollars. It lasts a long time because I just give a small piece.

Don't forget, Theo gets protein in the block and the formula so I wouldn't stress if he won't eat chicken.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Anne (02-08-2017)

IDK RoxisMom. That would be OK for an occasional treat but I wouldn't use it regularly as a protein source. The first ingredient is wheat flour so I think it's probably mostly carbohydrates . My boys don't like chicken either. I rarely serve it anymore. I do buy a dog treat called PureBites dehydrated chicken. It has 74% protein and only one ingredient... dehydrated chicken, no preservatives. I buy it at PetSuperMarket. It's a little cheaper there ($8). PetCo has it also but their price is higher. I once saw a small bag at PetsMart that you could try. It was a couple dollars. It lasts a long time because I just give a small piece.

Don't forget, Theo gets protein in the block and the formula so I wouldn't stress if he won't eat chicken.
    Thank you Scottt. I was pretty sure it was not the right kind. Theo wasn't impressed with it I will look online for it and see if I can order some.

Name:  IMG_1554.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  144.2 KBName:  IMG_1557.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  151.0 KBName:  IMG_1558.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  134.3 KBName:  IMG_1559.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  108.0 KBName:  IMG_1561.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  112.1 KBHere is Theo in his new digs . It is a three story hamster cage, deluxe version. That is his little hut up in the top corner. I have a soft cube coming. I need to check on that. He has a hanging cube but he won't touch it. Maybe as he gets older . I don't know how to turn these pcs around. If someone could teach me how I would grateful.

Appropriately spoiled ! Nice!

I can't help with the pics. Sometimes mine are straight ... sometimes NOT!

Appropriately spoiled ! Nice!

I can't help with the pics. Sometimes mine are straight ... sometimes NOT!
    Did you see the corners all wrapped with fleece . Just like you said. . How can you tell if they are fat or not. When he is sitting hunched over eating, he looks like a little furry round ball with a head . He is starting to practice jumping farther and farther. We were playing a game last night. He would jump from the top of my office chair and then jump back on my chest while I stood there laughing at him. Just back and forth. I don't know if he is truly a boy now though. Everything has disappeared into his and I can't see anything. Wouldn't he have testicles by now?

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Scott (02-09-2017)

I DO see those wrapped cage edges. Great job flyer mom! You prevented him from injuring his toes and feet.

Oh my heavens NO he wouldn't have testicles yet. I was beginning to think Tucker was a girl also. He didn't drop those BIG boys until he was 18 months old. They are HUGE and they have the ability to pull em up and drop em down. It's phenomenal.

One more thing... Are you aware of the dangers the toilet poses to flyers? If not, we need to talk.
    DROWNING IN THE TOILET IS BY FAR THE NUMBER 1 CAUSE OF DEATH OF FLYERS IN THE HOME!!!

Sorry, that was like screaming but I'd rather tell you now than grieve with you over your loss. It is SO heartbreaking and SO preventable.

I DO see those wrapped cage edges. Great job flyer mom! You prevented him from injuring his toes and feet.

Oh my heavens NO he wouldn't have testicles yet. I was beginning to think Tucker was a girl also. He didn't drop those BIG boys until he was 18 months old. They are HUGE and they have the ability to pull em up and drop em down. It's phenomenal.

One more thing... Are you aware of the dangers the toilet poses to flyers? If not, we need to talk.
    DROWNING IN THE TOILET IS BY FAR THE NUMBER 1 CAUSE OF DEATH OF FLYERS IN THE HOME!!!

Sorry, that was like screaming but I'd rather tell you now than grieve with you over your loss. It is SO heartbreaking and SO preventable.
    Wow, I didn't know that about the testicles. He looks rather pudgy so I couldn't see anything. When I first got him he was so underweight you could see everything so I new he was a boy, but my belief has been wavering lol. Glad you cleared that up.. So is he supposed to look like a real live fur ball with a head while eating?

Yes, I know about the toilet. He is always in my office or with me and will never be given run of the house because of family prejudices , but I have been taking him at night out to the living room and the bathroom is on other side of the house. Do you still think I need the chicken wire ladder?

Is it okay to give Theo the wild bites instead of picky eaters?

Yes, you can try the wild bites. He might like them. They are peanut based instead of pecan based but it's my understanding that they are balanced as far as the minerals, etc.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011