Thread: water in winter

mary h Guest

Default water in winter

Hello...what is the best way to provide water in the winter for my squirrels ? It gets well below freezing at this time of year therefore their water freezes within 20 minutes.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mary h from:

Shewhosweptforest (12-16-2016)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: water in winter

A heated bird bath works well.
    Also the heated dog bowls.
    For the group that I have on my deck I use a heating pad under a low flat dish (it works well, but I do have to protect the cord and pad from being chewed)

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

awolf (04-11-2017), Carreegirl (12-14-2016), Shewhosweptforest (12-16-2016)

A heated bird bath? You must have to plug it in, right?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    A heated bird bath? You must have to plug it in, right?
    I'm not sure how they work, I don't have one. I'm assuming they need to be plugged in though, yes.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

I just bought a Farm Innovators Bird Bath De-Icer
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8UCIGC...A1CFOX6IC6AKTC

I've never used one of these before so I can't talk with a lot of experience, I have had it two weeks. I just put in into a large flat dish that holds water out on the deck. It's been 20 degrees F the last two days, and the water around the unit was liquid. There was ice at the edges of the dish, but plenty of area for both squirrels and birds to drink, and yes, everyone has found it. :-)

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Mel1959 (12-16-2016), Shewhosweptforest (12-16-2016)

I need to find a better way I just have so many water bowls out....for the birds and the squirrels....every morning I bring hot water out and pour it into the frozen bowls...this melts the ice in the evening I take the water bottles in and put them back out in the morning this only helps for a short while....as everything freezes back up I do have a creek bordering my property...so there is fresh water for all the animals...but I really don't want the squirrels up here traveling to the creek every day
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    I need to find a better way I just have so many water bowls out....for the birds and the squirrels....every morning I bring hot water out and pour it into the frozen bowls...this melts the ice in the evening I take the water bottles in and put them back out in the morning this only helps for a short while....as everything freezes back up I do have a creek bordering my property...so there is fresh water for all the animals...but I really don't want the squirrels up here traveling to the creek every day
    We,re doing the same thing Sweeps and I too need to come up with a solution that don't involve electric cords
    running through the yard. I'm thinking on doing a "central" (winter) location that can be noticed and assailable
    to all the critters.
    I've watched my guys chip through the ice to get to the (unfrozen) center and it's got me to leaning toward something
    in the form of moving (recirculating) water, maybe even include some type small waterfall to add friction.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I recently saw a solar fountain that can be used in a birdbath. I wonder if that might work in a water bowl to prevent it from freezing...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I recently saw a solar fountain that can be used in a birdbath. I wonder if that might work in a water bowl to prevent it from freezing...
    I've wondered about that also but would think it would have to have a pretty
    strong flow and of course they are dependent on the sun's penetration.

I had one once just for decoration, the birds loved it but you let a cloud
    block the sun for a few minutes and it would shut off, then of course it had
    to bask awhile in the sun to recharge before it would work again

I do have a quart size submersible pump I might give a try...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

hhandkmom1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mary h View Post
    Hello...what is the best way to provide water in the winter for my squirrels ? It gets well below freezing at this time of year therefore their water freezes within 20 minutes.

I live in Maine, and it has already dipped below 0 degrees Fahrenheit here. I purchased a heated bird bath that sits on the ground, which works very well, even with the severe cold. It does have to be plugged into an electrical outlet. My squirrels use it frequently and seem to really enjoy having water that is warmer than the air temperature, especially when the wind chill makes it feel like 20 below.

Holiday greetings to all, I thought I'd revive this old thread especially in light of the terrible cold our little buddies are experiencing.

Getting fresh water to wilds in freezing temps isn't easy. What I usually try is to make sure there are a few large blocks of ice easily accessible to them. I will fill one of their plastic bins with water (as I usually do) & then remove the block of ice from the bin once frozen & place it on the ground in their usual spot... so that they can at least lick the ice. Not the best I know... but it seems to work the best. (I'll add my squirrel friends are in public parks so I don't have the option of running any power cords. And I'd be a little of wary of them possibly nibbling on electric wires too!)

Anyway -- he's my query. Does anyone have experience with this kind of "Snuggle Safe" product.

https://www.entirelypets.com/snuggle...FQw9GgodyDBRpw

I know it claims to keep a water dish from freezing for only an hour or two but even that would be a big help. My friends come for water when they see me filling and fiddling around with their water dishes. Have to say I'm a little skeptical of the product so I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone to comment on. Any advice? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance to all of you! You're a special bunch of people.

Quote Originally Posted by loveallsquirries View Post
    Holiday greetings to all, I thought I'd revive this old thread especially in light of the terrible cold our little buddies are experiencing.

Getting fresh water to wilds in freezing temps isn't easy. What I usually try is to make sure there are a few large blocks of ice easily accessible to them. I will fill one of their plastic bins with water (as I usually do) & then remove the block of ice from the bin once frozen & place it on the ground in their usual spot... so that they can at least lick the ice. Not the best I know... but it seems to work the best. (I'll add my squirrel friends are in public parks so I don't have the option of running any power cords. And I'd be a little of wary of them possibly nibbling on electric wires too!)

Anyway -- he's my query. Does anyone have experience with this kind of "Snuggle Safe" product.

https://www.entirelypets.com/snuggle...FQw9GgodyDBRpw

I know it claims to keep a water dish from freezing for only an hour or two but even that would be a big help. My friends come for water when they see me filling and fiddling around with their water dishes. Have to say I'm a little skeptical of the product so I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone to comment on. Any advice? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance to all of you! You're a special bunch of people.
    I've never used that product. I think that when I was raising my first squirrels, I saw a warning about not using those to keep squirrels warm in their cages. I don't recall if they got too hot, or failed to work. Maybe someone else knows more about these. But your using them to heat water temporarily would be an entirely different scenario than a baby snuggling against it.

There is a product made specifically to put in outside animals water sources that keeps the water from freezing. It’s also used in bird baths. Do a Google search and see if you can find it. Being in Florida I don’t have a need for something like that but I believe others on here have.

Members who have read this thread: 3