Thread: DIARRHEA, HELP!

llg6789 Guest

Unhappy DIARRHEA, HELP!

hey guys! seems my squirrel has started having diarrhea. not sure why but i was wondering what some possible reasons for it would be and how to stop it.
    thanks so much!
    gail

Default Re: DIARRHEA, HELP!

First, please tell us everything you are feeding - if a baby, what brand formula, etc.

llg6789 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    First, please tell us everything you are feeding - if a baby, what brand formula, etc.
    he's an adult squirrel. i have him on assorted raw nuts, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and some apples. ever since he's started have diarrhea he's been drinking a ton of water. he's acting normal other than the diarrhea.

Quote Originally Posted by llg6789 View Post
    he's an adult squirrel. i have him on assorted raw nuts, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and some apples. ever since he's started have diarrhea he's been drinking a ton of water. he's acting normal other than the diarrhea.

How old is he?
    NUTS and FRUIT are only given as a treat and typically limited to 1 or 2 daily.
    He needs leafy greens, and other veggies along with a good quality squirrel block.
    Most of us here feed Henry's. I would start off with the block for picky eaters,
    since much of his diet consists of nuts.
    This will take a lot of work and commitment to get him back on track,
    but they can easily get Metabolic Bone Disease with a calcium poor diet.
    It comes on quickly, before they show signs, and can be deadly.
    http://www.henryspets.com/
    He needs improvement on his diet. Here's a link to help.
    Follow this and start adding some squirrel block.
    Healthy diet for squirrels.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 12-12-2016 at 04:10 PM.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Daisey007 (12-12-2016), Grinderhead (12-12-2016), Mel1959 (12-12-2016), stepnstone (12-12-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by llg6789 View Post
    This is his diet? It needs to be changed, immediately. Your squirrel needs healthy food, and needs to be put on a block, preferably Henrys blocks or a rodent block.

Nuts should only be given as a treat, and fruits should only be given in limited amounts.

Here is the link for a healthy diet for pet squirrels.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kendradfw:

Daisey007 (12-12-2016), Nancy in New York (12-12-2016)

I know that feeding lots of greens may seem like it would actually cause diarrhea but it doesn't. I'm not sure what's actually causing the diarrhea but everyone here is correct, his current diet is not appropriate or healthy for a squirrel. After providing the correct diet, I tend to look at external possibilities for the diarrhea such as the quality of his drinking water (are you changing it at least daily?), cleanliness of his feeding dishes and containers (are you washing them in hot soapy water and rinsing them WELL?), and what's in his cage and bedding that could possibly make him sick (is he given 'clean' bedding and not something that's been exposed to toxic chemicals?). Is he chewing on something toxic such as treated lumber? Are you washing his food thoroughly before allowing him to eat it? All of these things can and do cause intestinal illnesses, and should be considered.

Kindest regards and best wishes!

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Daisey007:

Jen413 (12-12-2016), Mel1959 (12-12-2016), Nancy in New York (12-12-2016)

My adult guy occasionally gets mushy poop too and he has a great diet. I am not sure what causes it.

I take a more pro-active course with diarrhea. Stop it with meds and see if it comes back when the meds are stopped - if so you need to look further. I prefer Pepto Bismol liquid. I would give him about .25cc of the pepto and then watch. When the pepto has gone through his system, it will turn his poop BLACK (don't freak out - it is what pepto does). The benefit is you know just how long it takes to go through the system. Once you see the black poops, see if they start to firm up. If not, give a 2nd dose. I wouldn't give it more than 2 times in a day. I prefer caution because you do NOT want to give too much and bind him up so he isn't pooping!

I have never had to give more than 2 doses...

If he is ILL, this won't fix it, and you will need to look at other options. And what everyone is telling you about diet is spot on, too.

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Daisey007 (12-12-2016), Mel1959 (12-12-2016), Nancy in New York (12-12-2016)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.