Thread: Vitamin D for southern flying squirrel

FSFS Guest

Default Vitamin D for southern flying squirrel

Hello, This is my first post here. I'm sure this question has been asked many, many times. Unfortunately, I cannot find the answer by reading other posts and their responses.
    My Southern Flying Squirrels eat a diet of seed (mixture of 1. hamster + gerbal advanced nutrition diet 2. Large bird diet and 3. Premium nut n' berry. All contain calcium and vitamin D). Which is available at all times. Nightly, I give a nut from a bag of mixed nuts. Every other night I give a fruit, on opposite nights I give a vegetable. If I give fruit and a vegetable on the same night no vegetable will be eaten. Twice a week I give orange slices for calcium. Fresh water is always available.
    My question is how much vitamin D does he need each day? How do I supply this Vitamin D?
    Green leafy vegetables and mushrooms are good sources of Vitamin D. But some nights no vegetables or mushrooms seem to be eaten. I can put vitamin drops in the water twice a week. But, I have no idea how many drops to put in the water. Giving too much is as bad as not giving enough. What is enough? What is too much?
    If anyone could answer these very important questions, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you very much.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to FSFS from:

SammysMom (12-03-2016)

Default Re: Vitamin D for southern flying squirrel

Welcome!!! I believe that you can give mushrooms for vitamin D since they are not going to be exposed to the sun like grays. The diet doesn't sound too good and would definitely take a look at the Healthy Diet area here.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Nancy in New York (12-03-2016)

I have a nr SFS that is around 2 years old and she loves her mushrooms, which I give her daily, she also gets a daily hhb along which a balance diet which includes.

Peas, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, avocado, carrots, mushrooms, romaine lettuce, mealworms, blueberries, strawberries, apples, french vanilla yogurt.

* 1/2 pecan or walnut as a treat.

A balance diet with hhb and fresh water is very important.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rhapsody from:

BCChins (12-04-2016)

FSFS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Welcome!!! I believe that you can give mushrooms for vitamin D since they are not going to be exposed to the sun like grays. The diet doesn't sound too good and would definitely take a look at the Healthy Diet area here.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels
    Thank you for your response. It was my hopes that someone here could answer my specific questions about Vitamin D.
    For the last 30 years, I have been raising Southern Flying Squirrels. There is really no information, that I have been able to find; that addresses this issue. There are a lot of articles and knowledgeable people, that all say give vitamin D; but, unfortunately no one knows the correct amount.
    Thank you again for your response.

FSFS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    I have a nr SFS that is around 2 years old and she loves her mushrooms, which I give her daily, she also gets a daily hhb along which a balance diet which includes.

Peas, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, avocado, carrots, mushrooms, romaine lettuce, mealworms, blueberries, strawberries, apples, french vanilla yogurt.

* 1/2 pecan or walnut as a treat.

A balance diet with hhb and fresh water is very important.
    Thank you for your response. It was my hopes that someone here could answer my specific questions about Vitamin D.
    For the last 30 years, I have been raising Southern Flying Squirrels. There is really no information, that I have been able to find; that addresses this issue. There are a lot of articles and knowledgeable people, that all say give vitamin D; but, unfortunately no one knows the correct amount.
    Thank you again for your response.

Are you having an issue with your flyers? If you have been successfully raising them for 30 years, you have it right. If you want to bo sure they have a specific amount of D daily them feeding HHBs is a good way of ensuring a steady amount. There is no standard specific amount that I have ever heard given. It may well be that the number doesn't exist. Each individual is so different that it may be that their requirements vary a great deal.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Thwhirl Guest

My flyer won't eat mushrooms and he "eats around" the HHB. The blocks will have hollowed out parts but not eaten entirely. This vitamin D issue worries me too.

Members who have read this thread: 2