Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Dixie

Default Re: Update on Dixie

You're doing just fine! Yes, when she eats block her poop will darken. Formula is the perfect nutrition so as long as she will take it, let her take it. If there is one feeding of formula when she is less interested, you can take that feeding out and see how she does. That might be what she needs to be hungry and want to eat blocks. Taking your/her time growing up is just fine. Just like humans, some are a little slower to grow up than others. She is doing just fine and there is no rush for veggies if she isn't quite eating blocks yet. However, when you do start her on veggies, mixed greens is always what I start with. Things like carrots and sweet potatoes are very sweet. If they start with them it is harder to get them to eat the green veggies. Just like with baby humans, you want to start with green beans not custard or the green beans will not taste as good to them.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

2. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

lennysmom (12-01-2016), MissAmy (12-01-2016), Scott (12-05-2016), Spanky (12-01-2016)

Peachesmom Guest

Dixie has cut back on the amount she wants to eat. She was eating 21-22cc per feeding every 5-6 hours. now she will eat 10-15cc and wants to play. Refuses any more milk. She has the blocks in there, will nibble on them, i still dont think shes eating it. Her poop is the same color. She will be 9 weeks tues. How can i make her drink more milk? Do i need to wait longer in between feedings? Shes 298 g now.Thanks

Peachesmom Guest

Dixie refuses to eat the blocks!

Peachesmom Guest

Is there anyone monitoring this site now?

You can defiantly try waiting longer between feedings to see if that perks her appetite since she is munching a little on the blocks. I will also sometimes add a tiny coating of almond butter or peanut butter to get them interested on the blocks and that seems to help with some of my squirrels. There are also some members who have come up with some recipies for picky eaters that don't seem to take to the blocks - here is the link to that thread: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...block+recipies
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Nancy in New York (12-07-2016)

Peachesmom Guest

I have waited 6-7 hours in between feedings. Doesnt help. I dont think her top teeth are all the way out yet. When she nibbles, i can only feel bottom teeth.
    Can i soak a block in her milk?

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

What formula do you have her on and which blocks are you giving her?

EDIT: The reason I ask...I had kids this past year that did not eat the high protein blocks. First time in 7 years I've ever had a squirrel deny a block. I did some thinking and realized they were on Esbilac formula instead of my normal FV. The Esbilac has higher protein than the FV and they did not need the extra protein that was in the high protein blocks. I discussed this with Leigh at Henry's and she agreed. I changed to the picky blocks and they all ate them without issue, just like my squirrels have always done.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Spanky (12-07-2016)

Peachesmom Guest

Esbilac and HHB

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Peachesmom View Post
    Esbilac and HHB
    Of she's 8 weeks old and you've been trying to get her to eat block since she opened her eyes itight be that she doesn't need that much protein. Try using a different HHB.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Peachesmom Guest

She nibbles on it...Shreds it...Shes 9 weeks now.
    What other kind of blocks do i have to chose from?

Henry's makes 4 different formulations:
    1) Hi Protein (Babies & Flyers)
    2) Adult
    3) Picky
    4) Wild

I believe the suggestion is that if you are feeding Esbilac, Dixie may be more prone to rejecting the hi-protein formulation.

If she is being picky, I would recommend the Picky Blocks.. they are always a hit.

15. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

lennysmom (12-07-2016), Milo's Mom (12-07-2016), Nancy in New York (12-07-2016), Scott (12-09-2016)

Peachesmom Guest

Ty

I have waited 6-7 hours in between feedings. Doesnt help. I dont think her top teeth are all the way out yet. When she nibbles, i can only feel bottom teeth.
    Can i soak a block in her milk?
    I did this with one of mine when she started backing off her formula to entice her to the block
    and it worked for her. Now she will eat them on their own.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Peachesmom Guest

I just ordered the Picky Blocks.
    If she doesnt eat these, what do i do?
    I cleaned her cage today...Found all the blocks i had gave her this week!

Soaking in milk didnt work nor did putting peanut butter on it.
    I got her carrots and broccoli stems today, she nibbles and shreds it. Her top teeth are out now...Why isnt she eating food yet? I know she needs more than milk...She will be 10 weeks tues. I put a water bottle in her cage...How do i get her to drink from it? Ty

Just show her by touching it with your fingertip and then her mouth. She will eat. Formula is totally nutritious and I wouldn't worry about it if it takes a long time to start on solids.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

lennysmom (12-11-2016)

Peachesmom Guest

She wants to play instead of eating...

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Peachesmom from:

SammysMom (12-11-2016)

Well stretch out the formula feedings and keep on offering. It will happen when it is supposed to for her little self.

Peachesmom Guest

Recieved the Picky eater blocks...She seems to like them alittle better...Still crumbles them up. Ive given her carrots, sweet potato, a pecan half..She loved it...Doesnt like brocolli...A piece of apple..Shes still drinking milk....2-3 times a day, from 27cc to 9cc..Depends on her...Im afraid shes hunrgy and i dont want her to be.
    Can someone post a meal schedule i can get her on. Shes 365 g now....Almost 11 weeks old.
    I want her to eat healthy....Veggies like corn..Green beans..They have to be fresh and not canned? I just want her to b healthy...Ty

Recieved the Picky eater blocks...She seems to like them alittle better...Still crumbles them up. Ive given her carrots, sweet potato, a pecan half..She loved it...Doesnt like brocolli...A piece of apple..Shes still drinking milk....2-3 times a day, from 27cc to 9cc..Depends on her...Im afraid shes hunrgy and i dont want her to be.
    Can someone post a meal schedule i can get her on. Shes 365 g now....Almost 11 weeks old.
    I want her to eat healthy....Veggies like corn..Green beans..They have to be fresh and not canned? I just want her to b healthy...Ty
    First thing in the morning, 1 HHB. After that is eaten (and only after) then a bowl of veggies, with a bit of fruit. An hour or so later, formula... as much as they want.

In the late afternoon or evening, the same routine is repeated. (I try to feed before dark, since I don't want them geeting used to eating after the sun goes down when the release time arrives).

A bit of leftover veggies get thrown out each time… if the bowl is completely emptied, I figured I gave them too little. They also have a virtually endless supply of rodent block (Oxbow). With the veggies and Oxbow available they always have food and should not go hungry unless they are refusing to eat dinner in hopes of more desert.

I learned a trick from Nancy to feed more leafy greens in the morning and the evening more calciferous veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, etc. in the evening as they do not wither up and dry out so quickly and stay relatively fresh overnight (unlike lettuces!).

They rarely get nuts, while this sounds mean since they do “love” nuts but the nuts make them much more aggressive.
    Here is a link to the healthy diet. Note the veggies in group 3 should be more limited and Groups 1 & 2 the “foundation” veggies.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

lennysmom (12-17-2016), Nancy in New York (12-17-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

They rarely get nuts, while this sounds mean since they do “love” nuts but the nuts make them much more aggressive.
    Here is a link to the healthy diet. Note the veggies in group 3 should be more limited and Groups 1 & 2 the “foundation” veggies.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

Just a reminder of what veggies are in groups 1 & 2, as Spanky suggested.

Edit: I see he posted the link!

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

lennysmom (12-17-2016)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.