Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update on Dixie

Peachesmom Guest

Default Re: Update on Dixie

Can i start diluting her milk w water to get her used to water?
    My step daughter got a 4 month female squirrel today from someone that saved it. Will her and Dixie fight? The reason i ask, sdaughter had pet hers and then dixie...Dixie freaked out and tried to bite sdaughters hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachesmom View Post
    Can i start diluting her milk w water to get her used to water?
    My step daughter got a 4 month female squirrel today from someone that saved it. Will her and Dixie fight? The reason i ask, sdaughter had pet hers and then dixie...Dixie freaked out and tried to bite sdaughters hand.
    Grey squirrels are solitary animals and generally speaking trying to introduce them to other squirrels after about 8 - 10 weeks old is not a good idea. The 16 week / 4 month old squirrel is extremely unlikely to accept any other squirrel into its territory.

And squirrels are "one person" animals and almost always they will only tolerate one person ("their human") and be pretty mean to all other people. Babies are not this way, but as they get older they generally will be friendly to only one person and no one else. This is just one of the reasons squirrels do not make good pets especially for homes with more than one person. Dixie getting older may also explain Dixie trying to bite your daughters hand. My wife will help with the squirrels until they get about 8 - 10 weeks at which time she will avoid contact with them.

Diluting the formula to get her to drink water should not be necessary. At 11 weeks old she should have a water bottle and / or water dish in her cage.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (12-19-2016), SammysMom (12-18-2016)

I do not believe that squirrels are solitary animals. Like chickens, however, they have a pecking order and two females are much less likely to get along than two males. One must be subordinate to the other, and then maybe they can co-exist. This instinctive behavior is due to the need of the female to protect her territory for herself and her babies. They are also more likely to get along if there are no babies around. Males, on the other hand, establish their hierarchy and then run in packs. As long as the order is not challenged by a growing boy or an outsider, there will be peace and playtime after a few bumps and bruises to establish where all males stand in the hierarchy. Newcomers must be accepted by the alpha male. The alpha male also determines what females are tolerated. Female siblings may hang around together but once the babies arrive, all bets are off.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    there will be peace and playtime after a few bumps and bruises to establish where all males stand in the hierarchy. Newcomers must be accepted by the alpha male. The alpha male also determines what females are tolerated. Female siblings may hang around together but once the babies arrive, all bets are off.

When you are trying to put two squirrels in a cage at an age of 10 weeks and older, it's iffy at best.
    At 16 weeks, Spanky's right it's near impossible.

Even siblings who are overwintered together sometimes have to be separated,
    as it's too confining. We have seen where the alpha will take over and not permit
    cage mates to even eat.

You really can't afford to let one establish where they stand in the hierarchy.
    It's a whole different ballgame in captivity, than in the wild.
    In a cage, it could mean a death sentence.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

lennysmom (12-20-2016), SammysMom (12-18-2016), Spanky (12-18-2016)

Peachesmom Guest

Diluting the formula to get her to drink water should not be necessary. At 11 weeks old she should have a water bottle and / or water dish in her cage.

Dixie has a water bottle and water dish in her cage...Not interested in either. Its like she will wait on milk.
    I would never put them in the same cage in fear Dixie would get hurt. I didnt know if they would play out of the cage or not. The other squirrel will only b here til sat. They are in seperate rooms.
    I heard her making a new sound tonight...Like a hurt cry...I got up and checked on her...Kinda like she was lonely.

I HATE that cry! It is another of their many alarms, but does sound lonely and sad for sure. I think that is us assigning human emotions again though...
    The first time Sam did it I finally figured out that he saw a hawk high in a tree outside of his upstairs bedroom. Many times i do not see any cause, but they sure do!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Peachesmom Guest

Unhappy Re: Update on Dixie

Shes only doing it late at night? I have to get her i out cause i feel like she is lonely.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Peachesmom from:

SammysMom (12-19-2016)

Is she even awake? I am listening to one doing it right now and I am fairly sure she is asleep...

Peachesmom Guest

Yea shes awake...

Peachesmom Guest

hi Everyone,
    Dixie is doing wonderful....shes eating her blocks 2 times a day, plus carrots, sugar peas, sweet potato, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, doesnt like lettuce or cabbage. shes been drinking water for a couple weeks...BUT shes still wants that milk at night...shes 13 weeks and weighs around 490-500g now.when will she stop the milk?
    Shes ate some hickory nuts...halved pecans..loves them. shes taken out of her pen atleast 2 a day to play...such a hoot.
    just wanted to check in and make sure shes up to par....and i want to thank everyone for all your help in pulling her thru...

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Peachesmom:

lennysmom (01-05-2017), SammysMom (01-05-2017)

I give formula for as long as they still take it. You are doing a great job. Remember to limit nuts to a rare treat and she will be a healthy girl!
    great job!

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Anne (01-06-2017), lennysmom (01-05-2017)

Peachesmom Guest

pics of dixie
    Attached Images Attached Images   

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Peachesmom:

lennysmom (01-05-2017), SammysMom (01-05-2017)

Peachesmom Guest

dixies cage
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Peachesmom Guest

what else can i offer her to eat?

Have you reviewed the healthy diet chart? Lots o f various foods on there....

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

Peachesmom Guest

Yes

Kale is a huge fav with my gang(s), squashes are also a hit (mine especially seem to like butternut), green beans.. fresh corn every once in a while is like a treat for them. Branches, pine cones and other goodies from the out of doors....

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Anne (01-06-2017)

Peachesmom Guest

i will definitely try these too. how about yellow squash and zuccuni?

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Peachesmom from:

SammysMom (01-07-2017)

I feed all squash. I feed yellow or zucchini almost every day as week as cucumbers a few times per week. Some love them and some won't touch them. A little yucca root, mushrooms, asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans, yellow beans, snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato...grape tomatoes once in a while.

Peachesmom Guest

shes eating snap peas: brussell sprouts, sweet potato,califlower,carrots. she doesnt like cucumbers, lettuce or cabbage.
    i cant wait for the spring so i can plant all this in my garden...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.