Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 Week old Grey - New to the board

Default Re: 3 Week old Grey - New to the board

Quote Originally Posted by Sahwithchicks View Post
    This one issue has been resolved. Cat now has a dog collar that keeps her in the yard perimeter instead of out by the chicken coop. She still has acres to roam, but not that specific area.

The problem is when release comes, this cat will be chasing Stu .
    We never want squirrels accustomed to seeing cats, they need to KNOW
    the dangers they pose.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 01-02-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Not to be a wet blanket, but he looks awfully young to be outdoors yet. How old is he?
    I agree, he is too young...
    If eyes opened 12/7 he is barely 9 weeks old now. As we know even
    his own momma wouldn't even let him out of the drey at this point.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Nancy in New York (01-02-2017)

I just read and caught up with this thread and first of all, you are doing a GREAT job. It seems like you read a lot of the board and got the hang of things quickly. Bravo!

I agree he looks tiny in that cage and even though the weather here in KY is still above freezing and has record highs, I am overwintering mine in a giant cage in my bedroom. They are allowed out once (twice if I'm feeling it) a day for for a couple of hours for exercise and to destroy everything and add to my scars.

One day we had really cold rain and I seriously started crying thinking how bad I would be feeling right now if I had released them in late October when they were 16 weeks. (hormones...)

Anyway, I think he is young and especially since he is alone that he should come inside until spring and then only spend a week or two out there and then get him back into the wild. He needs a momma still and enrichment and to learn with you.

(at this point feel free to read hours worth on indoor overwintering survival tips) Good luck!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Ordered critter nation cage.
    He is eating formula twice a day. Two Henry's blocks a day - before formula. 1 nut as a treat. Celery. Carrots. Kale. Zucchini. Mushrooms. Broccoli. Cauliflower. Romaine. An apple slice a day. He also gets apple wood sticks, pine cones, and pecan wood to chew.
    I am off to hide under a rock and feel guilty

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sahwithchicks:

cava (01-02-2017), Nancy in New York (01-02-2017), TubeDriver (01-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Sahwithchicks View Post
    Ordered critter nation cage.
    He is eating formula twice a day. Two Henry's blocks a day - before formula. 1 nut as a treat. Celery. Carrots. Kale. Zucchini. Mushrooms. Broccoli. Cauliflower. Romaine. An apple slice a day. He also gets apple wood sticks, pine cones, and pecan wood to chew.
    I am off to hide under a rock and feel guilty
    That's what we're here for sweetie.
    Not to worry. If you only knew what some
    of us did with our first squirrels
    thinking we were doing the best..................
    Thank God for TSB.
    We ALL learn something daily, regardless of how many years we
    do this.
    It would be fantastic if you had a buddy for this little one, but
    at least he has you.
    Glad he is taking his formula, it's the best insurance against MBD.
    I'm thrilled this little munchkin will be back indoors.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

SammysMom (01-02-2017)

Your response to our concerns is perfect! You are one of only a few who are okay not knowing something and trusting others who have experience.
    Believe me, I darned near killed Sammy when I got him and hadn't a clue what to do with him. Then I found TSB and he was saved from my inexperience. Thank-you for listening and learning so willingly. Your baby will do well because of it!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

I have no chip on my shoulder. I am an avid researcher, but no amount of research can prepare you for hands on experience, which you guys have and I don't.

I am going to share with you the reason why I thought he would be better in the Big outside cage. One, it was 81 today, and warmer outside than in our house... but mainly, I bought him a small hampster cage to get started, and I felt like it was going to drive him crazy being in such a small space. I made some modifications to it to make it better for him, shown in the pictures below, but he just needed more space. My husband was not ok with me buying a $200 cage for a squirrel, but I will tell him I got it used when it shows up :P

Here is his current cage. I made fleece covers for the shelves, and a pee pad for the bottom of the cage. The pee pad is just fleece with a piece of plastic needle point grid. I also sewed a ramp, which he likes to just as a swing.

Name:  20170102_154212.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  20170102_154231.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  92.5 KB

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sahwithchicks:

cava (01-02-2017), KarmaKay (01-02-2017)

Name:  rsz_20170102_154212.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  135.8 KB

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sahwithchicks from:

SammysMom (01-02-2017)

I would he happy to take and finish the process to release. If baby is still in the cage let me know wherevyou are and I can pick up. You are more than welcome to visit my compound and be there for release. I am licensed in the State of Florida and would be happy to help .

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to crazy4squirrels:

Mel1959 (01-02-2017), Milo's Mom (01-02-2017), Nancy in New York (01-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4squirrels View Post
    I would he happy to take and finish the process to release. If baby is still in the cage let me know wherevyou are and I can pick up. You are more than welcome to visit my compound and be there for release. I am licensed in the State of Florida and would be happy to help .

Thank you so much for answering my pm so quickly.
    The baby is about 9 weeks old, so this would be a spring release.
    She has since brought the little one back inside.
    What a fantastic offer though!

I am a little worried that I do not see wire (and worried about the chicken wire) over the interior wood surfaces? Maybe it is there (old man eyes!) but know that in a few short weeks he'll be able to chew through a sheet of wood (even a 2 X 4) in no time at all if it is not covered with hardware cloth. Sorry, I do not want to seem to be "piling on"... your little one is precious and you've done a great job with him and I would not want him to perform a premature "self-release" before he is ready!

What a precious baby. I am in Orange Park just almost in Jacksonville, FL. I can get him with others his age and over winter him if you are close!I'll keep an eye out here for a reply.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Anne:

Mel1959 (01-02-2017), TubeDriver (01-04-2017)

[QUOTE=crazy4squirrels;1198135]I would he happy to take and finish the process to release. If baby is still in the cage let me know wherevyou are and I can pick up. You are more than welcome to visit my compound and be there for release. I am licensed in the State of Florida and would be happy to help .[/QUOTE.

What a very generous offer from crazy4squirrels and Anne. I recently took my little singleton to crazy4squirrels so he could have some buddies to bond with prior to release. I was concerned about releasing him by himself and am relieved that he will be with his buddies when he takes to the trees. He is about 15-16 weeks old.

I believe someone noted that your outdoor cage might have chicken wire instead of hardware cloth. It would be very easy for Stu to get his arms or legs through the chicken wire and hurt himself. I have also read about little ones getting their noses through the wire and getting their teeth caught and injuring, or losing, their teeth. eek

I am also in Fl near Cocoa Bch if there's anything I can do to help please let me know. Stu is adoreable and you have done a great job!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What a very generous offer from crazy4squirrels and Anne. I recently took my little singleton to crazy4squirrels so he could have some buddies to bond with prior to release. I was concerned about releasing him by himself and am relieved that he will be with his buddies when he takes to the trees. He is about 15-16 weeks old.

I believe someone noted that your outdoor cage might have chicken wire instead of hardware cloth. It would be very easy for Stu to get his arms or legs through the chicken wire and hurt himself. I have also read about little ones getting their noses through the wire and getting their teeth caught and injuring, or losing, their teeth. eek

I am also in Fl near Cocoa Bch if there's anything I can do to help please let me know. Stu is adoreable and you have done a great job!

We are getting so many wonderful offers.
    You Florida people are just the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had read about crazy4squirrels taking on your little one, so I contacted
    her about this thread.
    Sahwithchicks has brought the little one back inside until spring.
    BUT
    Buddies are always great for little singletons so these offers are fantastic.
    Thank you all!

I am on the West Coast of Florida, in Pasco County. I am available to help if you are close and even if you just need a little help, just let me know. There are a lot of us squirrel peeps here in Florida. I do not judge , I give advice and help when needed.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to crazy4squirrels from:

SammysMom (01-03-2017)

Thank you all for the support and offers.

I live on the west coast, near cedar key. For the moment, I am planning on continuing to raise him (INSIDE)((INSIDE his new cage once it arrives)). However, I do understand having a playmate would be beneficial to him.
    Does the need for a squirrel playmate outweigh the bond he has made with me?
    I play with him for several hours a day. I take him out three times minimum, basically anytime I walk by him and he is peering out at me.

Today I am going to the store to find squirrel appropiate toys, and some more fabric to make ramp sleeves and stuff for his cage once it arrives.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sahwithchicks from:

TubeDriver (01-04-2017)

Well it has been a long time since I have logged in, so let us share in update, shall we?

First- my Stu is a big, free and happy boy. He lives on my property (40acres) and goes where he pleases. For a while he hung out right by the house and I saw him fairly regularly. He would jump and play with me just as before. Now he is much more independant. In fact, i hadnt seen him for about a month before hurricane Irma. Just yesterday he showed up as to say, hey I am ok! He jumped on my le.g. and jumped off again. He stuck around just long enough for me to grab him a treat and he was off again. I was so so happy to see him and happy to see he is independent enough to survive just fine on his own.Name:  20170918_171434.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  113.2 KB

30. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sahwithchicks:

cava (09-19-2017), lennysmom (09-19-2017), Mommas Munchkins (09-19-2017)

That is such a sweet update. Thank you for sharing!

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Sahwithchicks (09-21-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123