Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My squirrel attacked me

Unhappy My squirrel attacked me

I have a pet squirrel. I named her Chatter. My dog actually found her. She was just a baby. Her eyes were still closed. She was the greatest little thing. Chatter is 2yrs old now and from what im reading here they start to get aggresive at this age. She has attacked me a few times now. The worst was when she jumped on my face and bit me twice really hard. I was bleeding pretty bad. She wants nothing to do with me now. Ive always treated her with kindness and respect. It makes me so sad that she is like this now. She was my buddy. Always wanting to be on my shoulder and just loving me. Its winter now and im assuming i have to release her. Should i wait until the spring?

Default Re: My squirrel attacked me

Sorry to hear that she is wilding up. It is hard to have happen, but it is usually what happens. You do need to wait for a spring release up north. Is it possible she has nuts stashed around the house? If so, put her in her cage and clean out all stashes she might be guarding. It may help her bad behavior.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

lennysmom (11-23-2016)

Thanks. Ill give it a try. Im just so upset!

Remember nothing about it is personal for her. That is a human response.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

kimball063 (11-23-2016), lennysmom (11-23-2016), MissAmy (02-12-2017)

Is there anything i should be doing to get her ready for a soft release in the spring?

I am not a expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. I have read about 75 percent of threads on this board in the past 2 years. I have learned that a whole bunch of things can trigger a fit of aggressive Behavior. I will list some things I have learned. New smells as in lotion, shampoo, perfume, Soap, Laundry soap. New things in the home. People, pets, construction, anything not the normal way. Nut stash for sure. I have also learned that these types of behavior issues sometimes will resolve in a few weeks. The outside smells, change of season and hormones all are triggers. My boy is 2 years and 4 months old
    He is the love of my life and a true gentleman. But the whole month of October he was pacing all day every day and lost a alot of weight. Never aggressive thank goodness. This was the first time he had done this type of behavior. my theory is he knew he needed to gather food for the upcoming season but lives in a house so pace was all he could do. Thankfully almost completely stopped now. Just give it some time and don't be too pushy with her. Maybe she will chill out in a few weeks. Talk to her, sing to her but give her the space she needs right now to get over her hissing fit. Good luck and keep us posted. Rexies mom

9. 11 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rexie:

Anne01 (12-04-2016), Coralreefer (11-24-2016), HRT4SQRLS (11-23-2016), kimball063 (11-23-2016), lennysmom (11-23-2016), MissAmy (02-12-2017), Nancy in New York (11-23-2016), RamaMama (11-23-2016), SammysMom (11-23-2016), Scott (11-23-2016)

Ok. Hopefully she will calm down. She makes my days alot happier when she isnt trying to beat me up Thanks for the held. I will keep you guys posted

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kimball063:

SammysMom (11-23-2016), Scott (11-23-2016)

This makes between 12 - 14 times I have read that some one's pet squirrel attacked them in the last 3 weeks. They can't all be because of scents. There just has to be something more that caused most of them. I have also read changes to their environment, hormones, and wilding up. Being a new member, is this consistent at this time of year for previous years??

If so, maybe there should be a general rule of caution at this time of year. ?? But fear may bring on some aggression as well.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scott from:

kimball063 (11-23-2016)

My three year old boy goes through mood swings a couple of times a year, almost like clockwork. I do think some of it has to do with the seasons. Thankfully he has never attacked me, but as SammysMom mentioned, you do want to make sure she doesn't have any stashes hidden away as that certainly does cause aggression. Also, it is possible she is in heat too at her age. Hopefully in time she will mello out.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

kimball063 (11-23-2016), Rexie (11-23-2016)

I really hope so. I love her so much! Right now i cant get near her. That is so not like her. I dont jnow how to put her pic up? Thanks for all your help. PS she is a grey.

I just sent you a private message. If you send your pics, email or text message, I will put them on the thread for you.

kimball063 , I'm sorry that Chatter is taking out that wild nature on you. Those squirrel attacks can be pretty bad.
    While you're waiting for spring, this would be a good time to review Chatter's diet.
    The diet is critical for pet squirrels. Have you seen our healthy diet chart?

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

lennysmom (11-23-2016), Rexie (11-23-2016), SammysMom (11-23-2016), Scott (11-23-2016)

First of all I'm sorry to hear that Chatter is acting up, Kimball. There may be good "squirrel reasons" why she is doing so. Smells, hormonal changes, changes of season... there are many reasons a squirrel's little brain will shift gears at times.

My guy Hamilton is over 6 years old now and he has periods when he's an absolute angel, a true sweetheart who loves being played with and petted and stroked... and then there are others when he turns into a real demon. In other owrds, he can be a Jekyll and Hyde guy and I have learned to read his moods by now - after multiple bites mind ya, but hey! he's my baby and that will never stop me from loving him.

Those agressive periods can last from a couple of days to a few weeks with some squirrels. Hami has had periods of just a day or 2, and other periods that lasted a full month or more.

Maybe we can get in touch and I could try to help if you want - I see you're in Canada, so am I. Where - what area - more precisely? I'm near Montreal.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

21. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

island rehabber (11-23-2016), kimball063 (11-27-2016), Rexie (11-24-2016), Scott (11-23-2016)

Kimball everything you need to know about the why has already been posted by good people.

What you have to figure out is your commitment level. Seriously.
    Keeping a squirrel is very very challenging. The good moments are amazing but there are times like this and it's inevitable.
    We have a girl that is 3. Most squirrels only bond to one person and no one else can deal with them. We've managed to have our girl bonded to us both to a degree. I put an asterisk on that comment because my wife can do absolutely no wrong with her. I however have to work at it. There are times during the year where I can pick her up and pet her. There are other times where if I try that I'll lose a finger. LOL. When she's in those times I have to make the concerted effort to figure out the problem. I go through all the things people have listed above. Sometimes it's just a hormonal time of year. If that's the case I spend extra time with her in a safe setting. She has free reign of a room but we'll shut her up in her cage (apartment) at night most times. It comes down to just spending time right next to the cage and talking to her while she chatters her teeth at me to build back up that trust. LOL. It works. If she is getting more aggressive you have to decide if you are going to go through the release process or dedicate the extra time with her to make sure you stay connected with her. Keep in mind that since she's been a pet releasing her will take some extra time as well for her to be really ready to be released. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
    Proud Squaddy to Pee Wee Squirrel, Lebron, Marino, Griese, Csonka, Patty, Sneezy, Grumpy, Shortcake, Trixie, Stinky, Hooty, Chewey, Bucky,Peyton, Dash, Braveheart, Thelma & Louise, Plumpkin & Spice, Nemo & Dori, the three little bears Smoky, Yogi and Booboo.

23. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coralreefer:

kimball063 (11-27-2016), lennysmom (11-27-2016), lola (01-20-2017), Nancy in New York (11-24-2016), Rexie (11-24-2016), Scott (11-24-2016)

My Rocky became aggressive and started biting to the bone about a week and a half ago. I controlled for all changes around the house, and removed any nut stashes, etc.
    I have experimented to diagnose the source of his irritation and biting- He always chatters his teeth before he attacks, so there is a "warning"- but its only about 2 or 3 seconds of warning to shove my hands under my arms or they will be bloody. He was only doing it in the morning, and I diagnosed that it was only after I showered. The first 4 mornings, I discovered was due to Axe Body Wash Anarchy scent (appropriate, I know). I switched to Ivory soap, and all was well for 4 mornings. Then 2 more mornings of teeth chattering (And preventing attack by wrapping him in a towel as soon as the chatter started) even after using Ivory soap. This morning I took him to his outside cage before I showered. we were playing normally up to that point. After my shower, I went out to his cage and put my hands against the wire and his teeth started chattering and he tried to attack through the wire. Just to make sure time of day has nothing to do with it, I am going to shower this evening after our normal evening playtime and see if he gets upset. I think the initial scent change triggered him- (pheromones are supposedly in the AXE) and then after a few days, he started to associate the lack of MY normal scent with danger. If it has been 2 or 3 hours since a shower, I can handle him, play with him, and he is as "gentle" as ever- still play-fights, but doesn't bite hard enough to break skin. For Rocky, he loves me only when I am my stinky all natural self.
    It does take a real commitment. And the idea that there might also be a seasonal thing that is happening is intriguing as well. I have given rocky a bucket of black walnuts, with the husks on them, in his cage. He spends hours removing the husk and washing the black walnuts (yes, he washes the walnuts in his water bowl), then stashing them in one of the wooden boxes I put in his cage. If there is a need to gather and stash, he is satisfying it, I believe. I am going to add a tray of soil to the bottom of his cage today so he can bury things as well.

25. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Curtlawyer:

kimball063 (11-27-2016), Rexie (11-27-2016)

Never free feed nuts to a captive squirrel. They shoukd be only treats. Please research Metabolic Bone Disease as it is a horrible way to die and the number 1 killer of squirrels in captivity.

27. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (11-27-2016), kimball063 (11-27-2016), Nancy in New York (11-29-2016), Rexie (11-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Curtlawyer View Post
    I am going to add a tray of soil to the bottom of his cage today so he can bury things as well.

Just remember to dig down into the dirt if you're getting it from outside,
    and from an untreated area.
    Also no potting soil.
    Many people also "bake" the outside dirt before putting it in with a squirrel.
    Hopefully someone remembers at what temp and for how long, as that
    detail escapes me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Just remember to dig down into the dirt if you're getting it from outside,
    and from an untreated area.
    Also no potting soil.
    Many people also "bake" the outside dirt before putting it in with a squirrel.
    Hopefully someone remembers at what temp and for how long, as that
    detail escapes me now.
    It's been awhile since I've baked dirt for my squirrels, but I'm pretty sure I baked it at 200 degrees for 30 minuets. I have also read that you can microwave it for 4 minuets and that will work too.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

Nancy in New York (11-29-2016)

I had just baked dirt the other day it is 250 for 30 min. Be prepared for very strange looks from your family when you pull it out of the oven!!

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Carreegirl:

Nancy in New York (11-29-2016), Rexie (11-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Carreegirl View Post
    I had just baked dirt the other day it is 250 for 30 min. Be prepared for very strange looks from your family when you pull it out of the oven!!
    I know ALL about that - I have baked dirt and sticks and oh the looks I got!

34. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Carreegirl (11-28-2016), Nancy in New York (11-29-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast