Thread: Searching for a squirrel in need of a loving home...

toughgirl7 Guest

Unhappy Searching for a squirrel in need of a loving home...

Hello, my name is Marissa. Five years ago, my great grandmother passed away and she left me with her best friend, an eastern grey squirrel named nibbles. She took in nibbles when he was a baby in 1993 when her barn cat caught him. They were best friends ever since. When she passed, I took over caring for him. We bonded and he became the perfect member in my family. Two weeks ago he passed away, and at 23 years old it was his time, but I wasn't ready. I have checked with local wild life rescues with no luck so I came here. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to toughgirl7 from:

Rexie (11-25-2016)

Default Re: Searching for a squirrel in need of a loving home...

I'm sorry to hear about Nibbles passing away. I know there must be a squirrel sized hole in your heart after caring for him for 5 years. I had to re-read your post several times to be sure of what I was reading. Nibbles living to 23 yrs old has got to be one of the oldest squirrels I have ever heard of. You and your grandmother must have done everything right! Are you looking for another squirrel to take in and care for? Nibbles might be a very hard act to follow.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Rexie (11-25-2016)

toughgirl7 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about Nibbles passing away. I know there must be a squirrel sized hole in your heart after caring for him for 5 years. I had to re-read your post several times to be sure of what I was reading. Nibbles living to 23 yrs old has got to be one of the oldest squirrels I have ever heard of. You and your grandmother must have done everything right! Are you looking for another squirrel to take in and care for? Nibbles might be a very hard act to follow.
    There's a very large hole right now. He went everywhere with me and was loved by so many. He was very active, had run of the whole house, and had a balanced diet, so I would hope that we did everything right by him. Yes I'm looking for another squirrel to care for. My step son, three years old, has been asking about him

Can you post some photos of Nibbles?
    I've never heard of a squirrel living this long.
    WOW, just WOW!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Rexie (11-25-2016)

I'm so sorry for your loss Marissa
    R.I.P. Nibbles

toughgirl7 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    WOW, just WOW!
    For some reason it won't allow me to put a photo in. My gramma knew that my great gramma saved him about a year before I was born, I was born in 1995. So we guess he was 22-23 years old. I noticed him slow down over the past couple years and knew he was a lucky guy to be that old. He went everywhere with me! I own a cleaning company and we cleaned all my houses together. He would hang out on my shoulders or my back all day took naps in my pocket. Since owning him, I haven't owned a single zip up sweatshirt.

Obviously a well taken care of squirrel in spite of his early encounter with a cat.
    What a lucky little guy to wind up with such a loving family to go through life with.

If you can send pictures to my email I would be happy to post them for you.
    stepnstone08@hotmail.com
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

DarkLies212 (11-22-2016), Elise (04-11-2017), Mel1959 (11-19-2016), Rexie (11-25-2016)

toughgirl7 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Obviously a well taken care of squirrel in spite of his early encounter with a cat.
    What a lucky little guy to wind up with such a loving family to go through life with.

If you can send pictures to my email I would be happy to post them for you.
    stepnstone08@hotmail.com
    Thank you. I sent a few

Here's your baby....
    About how old was he here? He looks really young.

Name:  thumbnail_IMAG0900.jpg-RS.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  18.7 KB Name:  thumbnail_IMAG1158.jpg-RS.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  16.5 KB
    Name:  thumbnail_IMAG1191.jpg-RS.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  18.0 KB Name:  thumbnail_Snapchat-6244059264920767730.jpg-RS.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  20.4 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Nancy in New York (11-19-2016)

Such an amazing story of a squirrel that lived a long life of 23 years while being well taken care of and loved beyond any hearts measure....... I am praying The Universe sends another baby squirrel your way. ♡

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rhapsody from:

Rexie (11-25-2016)

toughgirl7 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Here's your baby....
    About how old was he here? He looks really young.

Name:  thumbnail_IMAG0900.jpg-RS.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  18.7 KB Name:  thumbnail_IMAG1158.jpg-RS.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  16.5 KB
    Name:  thumbnail_IMAG1191.jpg-RS.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  18.0 KB Name:  thumbnail_Snapchat-6244059264920767730.jpg-RS.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  20.4 KB
    He was much younger in these photos, these are the only ones I have on my computer.

squizzabelle Guest

Aaaaaw, bye bye sweet little nibbles I guess nobody has ever monitored this but 23 years is possibly a record age. That's amazing, he had a lovely long and happy life sorry for your loss

Actually a very amazing story and I'm sure you are devastated. Your Nibbles looks to be under one year old in the pictures and the pictures are in incredible shape for being over 20 years old. Can you send a current picture of yourself just for reference?

Just take two selfies and email or text them to me: 540-878-8307 // Scottsgrassguys@aol.com I will put them on the Board. This is such an incredibly, beautiful story, some members may have their doubts. But everyone wants to believe it's true. Thank you!!!!

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scott:

Elise (04-11-2017), Rexie (11-25-2016), RockySweetums (12-06-2016)

My condolences for your loss of nibbles. What a great life he had . I know right now you are so Lost without him. My heart aches for you. Keep checking on the board. I do see posts where a squirrel is in need of a loving home due to someone's unfortunate circumstances. Keep us posted if you are given that opportunity. Nibbles memory lives on at the squirrel board. Rest easy Nibbles sweet boy.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rexie from:

Scott (11-26-2016)

Question.... so is the young lady with nibbles your mother.?? That would explain why nibbles looks so young and if you were born a year later... if that's your mom then you may have been in her belly at the time of the picture. This is my observation based on the facts given and the incredible long life nibbles had.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rexie from:

Scott (11-26-2016)

Marlene Guest

Quote Originally Posted by toughgirl7 View Post
    Hello, my name is Marissa. Five years ago, my great grandmother passed away and she left me with her best friend, an eastern grey squirrel named nibbles. She took in nibbles when he was a baby in 1993 when her barn cat caught him. They were best friends ever since. When she passed, I took over caring for him. We bonded and he became the perfect member in my family. Two weeks ago he passed away, and at 23 years old it was his time, but I wasn't ready. I have checked with local wild life rescues with no luck so I came here. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Hi Marissa, I know this is a long shot, but I have a crippled baby squirrel in need of a loving home. He is missing his right rear foot, all but two claws, his left ear, and the tip of his tail. I pulled him out of one of my dogs mouth 5 or 6 weeks ago and didn't really think he would survive. But he did and after almost three weeks he opened his eyes and is eating and growing well. I live in Georgia though, so even if you were interested, it's probably too far. But if you want more info or pictures I would be glad to send them. I have four dogs and two cats and can't give him the kind of life he deserves. I was planning on releasing him before I realized the extent of his disabilities but that's out of the question now. Thanks, and good luck in your search for another "Nibbles".

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Marlene from:

DarkLies212 (04-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    WOW, just WOW!

Members who have read this thread: 1