Thread: Hazelnut oil

Hybrid View

Default Hazelnut oil

I cannot for the life of me find hazelnut extract but i can find hazelnut oil. Can i substitute this when making home made blocks

Default Re: Hazelnut oil

Quote Originally Posted by Eejay View Post
    I cannot for the life of me find hazelnut extract but i can find hazelnut oil. Can i substitute this when making home made blocks
    I am not an expert on this, so these are my thoughts:
    If someone feels I've overlooked something, let me know.

Hazelnut extract will have more flavor, and be in an alcohol base.
    Hazelnut oil will not be as "flavorful", but will have all the wonderful healing properties of the natural oil.

So my best guess, is that you could substitute the oil; however it will not provide as much flavor as the extract, but it might be healthier, and since it is an oil, your blocks might come out slightly different as in more greasy. But since it is only a small amount that is called for, it may not make a big difference in consistency, just in flavor. Try it, and see if your squirrels like it.

You can always try other extracts like almond extract or vanilla extract. It was my experience that my squirrels did not like almond extract, they preferred vanilla extract, go figure...as we know, all squirrels are different. :-)

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Eejay (11-15-2016), Mel1959 (11-15-2016), Rexie (12-06-2016)

Smile Re: Hazelnut oil

Quote Originally Posted by Eejay View Post

I was able to find hazelnut extract thankfully at Big Y grocery stores in Connecticut. Possibly they'll ship it to you from the stores. Very customer oriented store. Good luck and all the best.