Thread: Flying squirrel release

Default Flying squirrel release

I volunteer with a wildlife rescue organization and was given a baby southern flying squirrel to release. (I have only had experience rehabbing eastern grey squirrels.) The flying squirrel only weighed 22 gm. It is eating nuts and fruit in his box, but I wonder if it is old enough to fend for itself outside. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Default Re: Flying squirrel release

Your organization needs to contact other rehab places so the baby can be released in a GROUP, not as a singleton... Perhaps you can do some swapping around.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Nancy in New York (11-06-2016)

At 22g it is definitely NOT ready for release. It does need friends and as CM said, look around for others with flyers. Where are you in Florida? We can try to help find someone with flyers in your area.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

At 22 grams it should not even be eating nuts yet. Should be only on formula at 22 grams. Should still be on heat, as well. And as stated, should be released in a group, singleton will not likely survive.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to pappy1264 from:

Thank you all for the info. I now have another flying squirrel to keep this one company, and am giving them a heating pad. They both weigh about 28-30 gm now. The first one I got was terribly stressed, jumping all over the place, squeaking, but has now calmed down enough so I can carefully pick him up. I will be giving them Fox Valley 4 week formula. I am located near Crystal River about 1 1/2 hours north of Tampa.

Here is a link of weight vs age for Southern Flying squirrels.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-and-age/page3
    On Post #1 you will see the ages. Based on this, your baby is between 31-35 days old. WAY too young to release!

The closest person we have in your area is crazy4squirrels. She is a licensed rehabber. I'm not sure what she has but she might have other flyers to release... not sure. You could send her a Private Message and inquire. She might have ideas to help.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

DarkLies212 (11-09-2016), Mel1959 (11-09-2016)

OK Now for some advice on getting my 2 baby flying squirrels to drink formula. They are both very skittish and show no interest in formula from a syringe. Do I need to wrap them up to feed them, which may cause more stress, or does anyone have any other suggestions.

I know I can feed them high calcium things like kale, but was also thinking of making a mixture of peanut butter and dry formula, with maybe a bit of honey or dried fruit to sweeten it.

Ideas? Thanks.

I know nothing about flying squirrels, but I do wrap my little 7 wk eastern grey up to feed him. I think it is actually less stressful, because he feels secure. Do you have any miracle nipples? They make a mini one that would probably work well for a flying squirrel. I also know they need a high protein diet. I think they eat mealworms and waxworks. I know Hrt4sqrls has some flyers, you could send her a private message and ask her advice.