Thread: problem squirrel

selazar Guest

Default problem squirrel

We have been doing some garage work and had an opening into attic where a gray squirrel got in-my husband was able to scare him out and close up the hole but this squirrel has been chewing the wood to get back in and is hanging around the roof whenever we are outside..... I am concerned that maybe there are babies left inside but according to web, November is not a season for babies. Do squirrels try to get back to a "nest" this much in general or its possible there could be babies stuck in there?? Any advice appreciated!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to selazar from:

RockyPops (11-26-2019)

Default Re: problem squirrel

Being that frantic may indicate that there are babies. I would go up and check if I were you. You don't want them to die or her to destroy your garage. If you cover the hole with hardware cloth it will deter her better than wood does.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

frankc (11-26-2019), Grinderhead (11-06-2016), island rehabber (11-06-2016), lukaslolamaus (11-06-2016), RockyPops (11-26-2019), stepnstone (11-26-2019)

selazar Guest

So its possible to have babies in November? We saw the squirrel and it did not look like a lactating female, was rather smallish but my husband said he will look tomorrow just to see if anything there.....

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to selazar:

frankc (11-26-2019), RockyPops (11-26-2019)

In Florida there seems to be the possibility of babies all year long. Tell his to listen carefully as well as looking.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

frankc (11-26-2019), island rehabber (11-06-2016), RockyPops (11-26-2019), stepnstone (11-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by selazar View Post
    So its possible to have babies in November? We saw the squirrel and it did not look like a lactating female, was rather smallish but my husband said he will look tomorrow just to see if anything there.....
    Could this possibly be a young juvie that was born in the attic trying to get back to nest?
    They tend to look like small adults by the time they start to venture out.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

frankc (11-26-2019), RockyPops (11-26-2019)

We have been doing some garage work and had an opening into attic where a gray squirrel got in-my husband was able to scare him out and close up the hole but this squirrel has been chewing the wood to get back in and is hanging around the roof whenever we are outside..... I am concerned that maybe there are babies left inside but according to web, November is not a season for babies. Do squirrels try to get back to a "nest" this much in general or its possible there could be babies stuck in there?? Any advice appreciated!
    I would have wanted to check for babies right away. If there was nothing dangerous to worry about such as eclectic wire being chewed though, I think I would have opened up the hole again and watched the squirrel to see if the squirrel moved her babies to somewhere else. I think most squirrels have a backup nest. If it was a mother squirrel I think she may have wanted to move after having her nest blocked off. I would have checked for babies before I blocked it off again even if it meant waiting for another day to block it off. Before blocking of a nest entrance in the first place babies should be checked for. Right now at this time of year I see a lot of squirrels that look like they are nursing young.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Gray Squirrel:

island rehabber (11-26-2019), RockyPops (11-26-2019)

Gray Squirrel is right -- and there was a "third season" this year in the northeast. Friends of mine on Long Island got pinkies in mid-October -- unheard of! Please please check for babies trapped in the house.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

RockyPops (11-27-2019)

In Florida squirrels breed all year long. Please check your attic for babies. No, it’s not normal for a squirrel to be that determined to re-enter....unless she has a reason to.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (11-27-2019), island rehabber (11-27-2019), RockyPops (11-27-2019)

It's also possible that, if not babies, the squirrel has a cache of nuts she has put away for the long winter and desperately wants to get back to them. (They will keep her alive for the next 5 months, right?)
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

frankc (11-27-2019), RockyPops (11-27-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 1