Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! 3/4 WEEK OLD WITH PNEUMONIA. CIPRO FOR TREATMENT???

Exclamation HELP Roxboro, NC. Yellow diarrhea, very weak 3/4 week old!

Hi, I have 2 3/4 week old eastern grey squirrel babies. I have had them about a week and rehydrated them when I first recieved them. I have had them on puppy replacement milk with no problems until yesterday. The female has had yellow diarrhea, and a lot of it. She refused her formula so very early this morning I decided to give her some pedialyte, and she has had 2 different doses of that so far. She is still very weak and won't even try to take the pedialyte, I have to get it in drop by drop. The male has had a soft yellow/brown stool, and has been on the exact same formula. The female is usually eager and ready for food, but she has been almost entirely limp and refuses the syringe! PLEASE if anyone could give me advice or any type of help, I would appreciate it. I'd be devastated if anything happened to these babies.

Default Re: Yellow diarrhea, very weak 3/4 week old!

Quote Originally Posted by Elbee111 View Post
    Hi, I have 2 3/4 week old eastern grey squirrel babies. I have had them about a week and rehydrated them when I first recieved them. I have had them on puppy replacement milk with no problems until yesterday. The female has had yellow diarrhea, and a lot of it. She refused her formula so very early this morning I decided to give her some pedialyte, and she has had 2 different doses of that so far. She is still very weak and won't even try to take the pedialyte, I have to get it in drop by drop. The male has had a soft yellow/brown stool, and has been on the exact same formula. The female is usually eager and ready for food, but she has been almost entirely limp and refuses the syringe! PLEASE if anyone could give me advice or any type of help, I would appreciate it. I'd be devastated if anything happened to these babies.
    You need to be feeding Esbilac (powdered version) puppy formula... the yellow diarrhea is often caused by other / generic puppy formula:

Continue to give her the pedialyte, drop by drop for now until she is hydrated. When you pinch the skin on the back of her neck it should not remain "tented" and "snap" back down quickly when she is hydrated. The diarrhea is very dehydrating and this will not only hydrate her but help flush the bad formula from her system.

If you'd like us to try to find experienced members around your are that may be able to help, please let us know what county or city you are in...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Yellow diarrhea, very weak 3/4 week old!!!

Thank you! I read that I should get Esbilac, and have been looking for it in different stores the past couple of days and have not been able to find it. Do you know what kind of stores carry it? And if I do find it (hopefully today after more searching) how should I introduce it to the babies? And how often should I be giving the female pedialyte if she is barely getting any down at all? She has been making a quiet clicking noise when breathing after I give her some pedialyte, I don't think it's pneumonia, but what else could it be? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just extremely worried!

Thank you for any help you could give me, I REALLY hope this baby makes it!

Thank you! I read that I should get Esbilac, and have been looking for it in different stores the past couple of days and have not been able to find it. Do you know what kind of stores carry it? And if I do find it (hopefully today after more searching) how should I introduce it to the babies? And how often should I be giving the female pedialyte if she is barely getting any down at all? She has been making a quiet clicking noise when breathing after I give her some pedialyte, I don't think it's pneumonia, but what else could it be? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just extremely worried!

Thank you for any help you could give me, I REALLY hope this baby makes it!
    Petsmart, Petco, and Tractor supply have it. Be sure it's the powdered kind.

Once you flush their system, introduce it 1 part formula to 3 parts water, then go up to full strength slowly.

Give the pedialyte for no more than 24 hours, then you can switch to a goat's milk formula if you can't find the esbilac. Does she click with every breath?

TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Note: This is a temporary formula to be used only until you can get the Esbilac.

Is the "clicking" noise you hear happen with every breath she takes?

I would continue to push the hydration fluid every half hour or so until she is hydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    Petsmart, Petco, and Tractor supply have it. Be sure it's the powdered kind.

Once you flush their system, introduce it 1 part formula to 3 parts water, then go up to full strength slowly.

Give the pedialyte for no more than 24 hours, then you can switch to a goat's milk formula if you can't find the esbilac. Does she click with every breath?
    Thank you, I am going to tractor supply ASAP! And she only clicks when I put pedialyte in her mouth! She has stopped trying to drink completely. When I drop some in her mouth, it either comes right back out or sits on her lips. I'm not sure what else I can do to get her back to health so I can give her Esbilac.

What city are you in?
    Hopefully we can find a member that can help you out.
    What is the exact name of the formula you have been feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    What city are you in?
    Hopefully we can find a member that can help you out.
    What is the exact name of the formula you have been feeding?
    Thank you! I am near Roxboro, NC. The formula I have is PetAg milk replacer plus for puppies. I am going to pick up Esbilac this afternoon to start the male on it and HOPEFULLY the female if she gets any better. As of right now she's still mostly limp and will not drink the pedialyte on her own. She is still clicking a little bit through her nose. I can take pictures and a video, but I have no idea how to post them.. I have been up with her all night and morning worrying that she won't make it.

Thank you! I am near Roxboro, NC. The formula I have is PetAg milk replacer plus for puppies. I am going to pick up Esbilac this afternoon to start the male on it and HOPEFULLY the female if she gets any better. As of right now she's still mostly limp and will not drink the pedialyte on her own. She is still clicking a little bit through her nose. I can take pictures and a video, but I have no idea how to post them..
    I will look for a member close by that may be able to help you.

We have had a lot of members confuse the two formulas.
    I wrote this post a few months back.
    It causes a lot of digestive issues for squirrels.
    Has the little girl aspirated?
    I will send you my email address in a pm, you can send them
    to me and when I get home, I will post them.

When buying PetAg puppy replacers make sure you are getting the correct one.
    We have had several members this week with very sick squirrels due to feeding
    the incorrect formula. (Through NO fault of their care takers, as it can be confusing)
    PetLac sits in the squirrels tummies like cement.
    They bloat, and can not defecate. This could cause death.
    You want to get the PetAg Esbilac Puppy Milk Replacer Powder

NOT

PetLac Puppy Milk Replacement Powder.................................................. ........................CORRECT FORMULA

Default Re: HELP Roxboro, NC. Yellow diarrhea, very weak 3/4 week old!

I put your location in your title to draw more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Note: This is a temporary formula to be used only until you can get the Esbilac.

Is the "clicking" noise you hear happen with every breath she takes?

I would continue to push the hydration fluid every half hour or so until she is hydrated.
    Thank you for the info. And I have been giving her pedialyte every half hour to every 45 minutes, so that's good to know, I'll continue to do that. She sneezes the pedialyte out of her nose as I'm giving it to her, but I have been very careful to only do a drop at a time, so it must somehow be going down the wrong way or she is not swallowing it at all. When it comes out of her nose, I tilt her upside down until she stops sneezing. Then the clicking noise begins for a good 10 minutes or so.

I will look for a member close by that may be able to help you.

We have had a lot of members confuse the two formulas.
    I wrote this post a few months back.
    It causes a lot of digestive issues for squirrels.
    Has the little girl aspirated?
    I will send you my email address in a pm, you can send them
    to me and when I get home, I will post them.
    I have actually read that post, which is what made me begin my search for Esbilac! And I'm not sure what you mean by aspirated. She has sneezed out the pedialyte and I tilted her upside down to drain it out, but I have been VERY careful not to give it to her too quickly, just a drop at a time. I'm not sure if it's going down the wrong way or if she is just not making an effort to swallow it at all and that's what's making it go down wrong. I HOPE I can do something to turn her around.. And thank you, I will send the pictures and a video ASAP!

I put your location in your title to draw more attention.
    THANK YOU! I'm very new to this site and any help I can get is great.

THANK YOU! I'm very new to this site and any help I can get is great.

There's a vet in NC that will see squirrels.
    Not sure how close this is to you.

edit: Did a quick calculation and it's 58 miles.

Avian and Exotic Animal Care
    Dr. Dan Johnson
    (919) 844-9166
    8711 Fidelity Blvd
    Raleigh, NC 27617
    www.avianandexotic.com

There's a vet in NC that will see squirrels.
    Not sure how close this is to you.

edit: Did a quick calculation and it's 58 miles.

Avian and Exotic Animal Care
    Dr. Dan Johnson
    (919) 844-9166
    8711 Fidelity Blvd
    Raleigh, NC 27617
    www.avianandexotic.com
    Thank you! If she doesn't get any better, I'll definitely need someone's help. I sent the photos, hopefully they go through successfully! And I hope they give everyone a sense of how old they are and how much formula they will need. Poor girl is still weak..

Here's the babies.
    What do these little ones weigh?
    Are you using a 1 cc syringe.
    In the last picture, the little girl appears to have a "bloated belly", though
    I can see her ribs.
    BUT is that a milk line that is visible.
    They aren't digesting this formula. It needs to be flushed out. (meaning they
    need syringe feedings of pedialyte for a few feedings, and started on the correct formula)

They aren't getting the necessary nutrients because it sits like
    cement.

Please watch this video. It will hep you to determine how dehydrated they are
    if you do the pinch test the way it shows.

Scroll down a little in this link, and watch.

https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/pag...-baby-squirrel

I will be on and off the board.
    I hope that others chime in.
    Precious little ones need lots of prayers.

Female on the left

Julie might be about the closest
    I came by there yesterday 😞
    Scurry Central
    living and loving squirrel

Here's the babies.
    What do these little ones weigh?
    Are you using a 1 cc syringe.
    In the last picture, the little girl appears to have a "bloated belly", though
    I can see her ribs.
    BUT is that a milk line that is visible.
    They aren't digesting this formula. It needs to be flushed out. (meaning they
    need syringe feedings of pedialyte for a few feedings, and started on the correct formula)

They aren't getting the necessary nutrients because it sits like
    cement.

Please watch this video. It will hep you to determine how dehydrated they are
    if you do the pinch test the way it shows.

Scroll down a little in this link, and watch.

https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/pag...-baby-squirrel

I will be on and off the board.
    I hope that others chime in.
    Precious little ones need lots of prayers.

Female on the left

Thank you so much for posting these! I am using a 5cc syringe, as that is all the pharmacy had. I will watch the video! She used to eat about 2 cc's every 3 hours without fail until she started refusing it yesterday. I just gave her about 1 cc of pedialyte (the most she's taken so far) and she seemed to suck most of that down herself, although weak while doing it. Now she is back to clicking and it seems louder and worse than before.. I know there are medications for pneumonia, but I know for sure I don't have any of them.

Edit: the weight I am not sure about, I don't have a scale with me.

Quote Originally Posted by lilidukes View Post
    Julie might be about the closest
    I came by there yesterday 😞
    Thank you anyway, and I'd be willing to travel to get help for this little one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast