Thread: Muy baby squirrel has diarrhea..😩

E.Coco Guest

Default Muy baby squirrel has diarrhea..😩

Hi everybody!! I'm new to this forum BUT THANK GOD it exists!!! I was given 3 baby squirrels. 2 boys one girl..the person who found them had given them pedialite the first day she found them and started them on the goat milk mixture. The thing is 2 of the 3 babies are doing fine pooping peeing and eating just fine but one of my boys has mucousy yellowish poop. He has an appetite and pees just fine. What can I do?! Thanks in advance!! ☺️

Default Re: Muy baby squirrel has diarrhea..😩

Hello!

What is the goatsmilk mixture you refer to? Or what is in it?

I think TSB recommends POWDERED esbilac. But at this point you would have to learn how to transition onto it .

How much do these kids weigh ?
    How often are you feeding ?
    And how much formula are you offering at each feeding?

Would you like us to try to find a Rehabber in your area?

Sorry for all the questions but this will help us to help you.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

E.Coco Guest

Hi thank you for responding.im new to this and realized that I posted on the wrong thread! I have them on the goat milk yogurt and heavy whipping cream mixture. Is this not a good thing? I was searching online and that's what I seen was recommended. So much different info online. As far as as needing a rehabilitator, I was planning to rehabilitate them myself. I just need the correct info in order to help them grow healthy and happy. I have 3 squirrel babies about 4 or 5 weeks I think. 2 boys 1 girl. My 2 boys opened their eyes yesterday, my girl still hasn't. I've had them since yesterday morning. I have to buy a scale to weigh them today. I'm feeding them every 4 hrs.Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by E.Coco View Post
    Hi everybody!! I'm new to this forum BUT THANK GOD it exists!!! I was given 3 baby squirrels. 2 boys one girl..the person who found them had given them pedialite the first day she found them and started them on the goat milk mixture. The thing is 2 of the 3 babies are doing fine pooping peeing and eating just fine but one of my boys has mucousy yellowish poop. He has an appetite and pees just fine. What can I do?! Thanks in advance!! ☺️

The goat's milk formulation we recommend here on TSB is only a temporary substitution and should not be used for more than a few days:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ilk-Formula***

It is intended to be given only until you can get them started on Esbilac (the Powdered version!):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

E.Coco Guest

Ok thank you so much! I will get them that today!! How do I transition them from the mixture to the new formula?

I would transfer slowly, as in the first feeding maybe 25% Esbilac, 75% GM mixture, next feeding 50/50 and the next 75/25 until they are on full strength Esbilac And also with the diarrhea, you want to be sure you keep them very well hydrated with water or water with a touch of honey if they won't take it plain in between feedings.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

E.Coco Guest

Is the mucousy diarrhea a cause of the GM?

Quote Originally Posted by E.Coco View Post
    Is the mucousy diarrhea a cause of the GM?
    It could be. Or it could be the heavy cream. There are many things that cause diarrhea, but switching the formula will be a good start and may very likely fix the issue.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.