Thread: Possible Pnemonia from new syringe

Default Possible Pnemonia from new syringe

It's been a while since I've posted updates on my little (not so pinky guy) Gummers!!! He's now huge and thriving, highly active and making the switch from formula to blocks and food.

He has been doing great until yesterday I noticed a TAD bit of lethargy setting in. He just allowed me to handle him a little too freely. He's just not himself. I also am noticing a slight click in his breathing and it seems to be a little labored. We ordered new 5cc feeding syringes from Henry's I think and he's aspirated a few times. I've stopped using them since. Today, I noticed that he wasn't thrilled to eat. He's ALWAYS EAGER TO EAT. Now I'm worried. And I could just cry. I want my baby healthy, and he is a rescue. As far as I know, I am NOT in a squirrel friendly state (MI). Worried on how to get my little guy help if he needs it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Gummers is roughly now 3 months old.

Default Re: Possible Pnemonia from new syringe

*******UPDATE*******

So- don't know what his deal was with eating earlier. He ate just now and was eager, with no issues. Seems a bit more active, but appears to be a bit bloated??? His belly seems awfully pink through the fur too.

Also- I did some research and saw others with pnemonia. His isn't the same click in comparison. It's almost a slight whistle? It's very faint and I can only hear it if I hold him up to my ear.

He just seems off. Just sleepy, and not up to playing like he normally is. ��

Forgot to also mention I DID just add a scented bedding?!?!? Once I noticed the few sneezes, I took it out. He has a fleece blanket to curl up in, but I wanted something absobent for when he pees. Any suggestions there??

It's still early, but someone that can dose medication for you or help you find a rehabber close by, if you need help, should be along soon.

In the meantime if you can post the weight of your squirrel and see if you, your family or friends has any left over Cipro laying around you can use that to treat the pneumonia.

Please make sure you go back to using a 1 or 3 cc syringe with your squirrel...... 5 cc is generally to large for them as it delivers to much formula at one time, as you have found out.

What's the make of the syringe you are using?
    I bought some a while back and they are TOO smooth
    and the squirrel can suck the formula out WAY too fast.
    I got them from CalVet, they're SOL-M syringes. UGH!
    I also agree with Rhapsody I really don't like the 5 cc syringes.

Edit: Since your little one is 3 months old
    you could probably offer him a shallow dish of formula.
    Heat it up just like you would if you were syringe feeding him.
    BARELY cover the bottom of a shallow bowl with formula,
    I call it "paint it on the bottom" Continue to add as he drinks.
    Pretty soon he will catch on how to keep the nose out of the bowl.
    They need to catch on in the wild.

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 10-20-2016 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargategazer View Post
    *******UPDATE*******

So- don't know what his deal was with eating earlier. He ate just now and was eager, with no issues. Seems a bit more active, but appears to be a bit bloated??? His belly seems awfully pink through the fur too.

Also- I did some research and saw others with pnemonia. His isn't the same click in comparison. It's almost a slight whistle? It's very faint and I can only hear it if I hold him up to my ear.

He just seems off. Just sleepy, and not up to playing like he normally is. ��

Forgot to also mention I DID just add a scented bedding?!?!? Once I noticed the few sneezes, I took it out. He has a fleece blanket to curl up in, but I wanted something absobent for when he pees. Any suggestions there??

The bloated belly could also be from the larger syringe from sucking in too much air.
    The "slight whistle" is still a concern especially having aspirated a few times. We often tell members to hold their squee up to their ear to listen for any signs of aspiration.
    Never mind that it isn't the "usual" click that is often described, when you do this is the sound you are hearing with both inhale and exhale?
    If he does have or develops pneumonia you will need to get him on antibiotics, once ap takes hold it takes them down fast! I would suggest you start looking now for whatever ab's you can find. Ideally you would want Cipro which is an ab many woman use and often will have on hand. You would only need a pill or two and we can tell you how it's broken down and dosed for squirrels. Check your own medicine cabinet, ask family and friends. Let us know what you find and we can tell you if it can be used for ap.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator