Thread: Help for my Little Squibs!

adrie230 Guest

Unhappy Help for my Little Squibs!

Hi I'm Adrienne... I need some help for my little Squibs. He's about 8 weeks old. He developed this large "abscess" under his chin. He's got a healthy appetite, eating every 2 hours. He also seems to be losing the fir around his mid-section. He isn't acting any different than his brother...full of energy and climbing all over. Has anyone seen anything like this? Thank you so much for any advice! Name:  FullSizeRender (4).jpg
Views: 102
Size:  1.61 MBName:  IMG_2935.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  1.16 MBName:  FullSizeRender (4).jpg
Views: 102
Size:  1.61 MBName:  IMG_2935.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  1.16 MB

Default Re: Help for my Little Squibs!

Hi there. What are you feeding him exactly?

adrie230 Guest

The formula is 2/3 organic goats milk, 1/3 organic whole cow's milk, organic yogurt and vitamin drops. He also has recently began to munch on Walnuts, Acorns, bananas, and apples. He eats every 2 hours-on the dot.

He could be losing fur due to the diet. Stop the nuts and fruit immediately. Switch to Powdered Puppy Esbilac EXACTLY as pictured at the end of this post with the blue band or with the 3rd ingredient as whey protein powder. Until then, stop giving him that formula and begin flushing with a homemade pedialyte.

1 quart warm water
    3 Tablespoons of sugar
    1 teaspoon of salt

What are you using to feed them with? Syringe? How much are they getting? Every 2 hours is way too often for these older kids. How are their poops? What do the squirrels weigh in grams?

---EDIT: I see you're using a syringe. To avoid aspiration pneumonia, we suggest you lay the babies down and point the syringe up to the roof of their mouths, not down the throat. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ight=technique ---

Here's the healthy diet chart. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels You'll want to introduce blocks first and foremost (www.henryspets.com) then group 1 veggies, then group 2, then fruits once they're eating all the blocks and veggies. Only after they've established a healthy regimen can they have nuts. No acorns - there's an invisible mold that grows in some that kills squirrels. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ht=acorns+kill

How does that lump on the chin feel? Soft, hard, warm, normal temperature?

Are they getting baths / are you wiping off any spilled formula? I notice one is very wet - what do you use to bath them with and how often? Have they had any parasite treatment? How long have you had them? What's their history?

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DarkLies212:

cava (10-18-2016), island rehabber (10-18-2016), TubeDriver (10-18-2016)

adrie230, thank you for finding us and seeking help for your little squirrel. If he truly is 8 weeks old, he is NOT in good shape, and the poor coat tells us that he needs serious changes in his diet. The good news is, we love to help folks help their squirrels and we can help you get him back on track.

First: the abcess. That needs to be either lanced or treated with antibiotics, or both. The best AB for abcesses on the neck and head is clindamycin, if you have any at home or have a vet who will prescribe without seeing the squirrel. Your best option is to have a qualified rehabber treat him, because you are living in the state with the most severely restrictive laws on possessing wildlife.

First of all: every two hours is WAY WAY too often for feedings. I don't even feed my newborn pinkies that often.

When you are feeding a quality formula for squirrels, a baby his age will not be hungry until 4-5 hours have passed, and then will take anywhere from 8-14cc's of formula. The formula you are using is insufficient to say the least, without the essential nutrients he needs. At his age, he does not need nuts or fruits at all; he would not get them from his squirrel mamma until at least another 2-3 weeks have passed.

First of all: Please transition to one of these two formulas:

Esbilac Puppy Powder, with Probiotics (available at Petco, Petsmart, Petland Discount, etc.)
    ***or**

Fox Valley Day One for Squirrels, 20/50

You might also consider a supplement made by Fox Valley called UltraBoost, which is rich in fats and nutrients that your little guy could really use to beef up his body and his fur. Both FV products are available online at www.henryspets.com.

Once you have some good squirrel formula in house, we can help you transition him from the mixture you are feeding to "the good stuff". You will see an incredible improvement in this little sweetie -- trust me!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (10-18-2016), DarkLies212 (10-18-2016), Grinderhead (10-18-2016), Nancy in New York (10-18-2016)

adrie230 Guest

We've had them about 2 months. One male (runt) died of squirrel pox early on and another female, who was the strongest, died mysteriously. One day she was fine. She seemed healthy; was eating well, very active and all the sudden wouldn't eat or move. Whatever afflicted her seemed almost neurological. She had difficulty moving her back legs and died within 2 days. This little guy has a great appetite and is very active. I will change his diet as you suggested though and no more acorns. He and his brother (who looks completely fine) are wiped down after eating. They are bathed with only water. Little squib has been going back and forth between watery stool and soft-normal stool. His brother's bm's look good. The growth on his neck feels soft, not hot. The same temperature as the rest of his body. Nothing coming out of it either. I do not know the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by adrie230 View Post
    We've had them about 2 months. One male (runt) died of squirrel pox early on and another female, who was the strongest, died mysteriously. One day she was fine. She seemed healthy; was eating well, very active and all the sudden wouldn't eat or move. Whatever afflicted her seemed almost neurological. She had difficulty moving her back legs and died within 2 days.

This is classic for the way these little one's health fail when the diet is not correct. Losing use of rear legs (paralysis) is from a disease known as MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). Due to a lack of adequate calcium in their diet, or too much calcium depleting foods like nuts and seeds, and their bodies "steal" calcium from their bones until they become paralyzed. And then die.

Please get some Tums (the ones without Vitamin D) and treat your little one fore MBD:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...dated-3-31-09)

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

DarkLies212 (10-19-2016)

Members who have read this thread: 1