Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Jesse

Default Re: New here & need a bit of help !

Yes thank you very much to everyone helping Jessie she's doing so much better now because of this forum
    Super happy I found this place

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JayB from:

Nancy in New York (10-20-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Blackmore View Post
    Dwarf squirrel hey hmmmmmmm. Like an actual dwarf squirrel or like a "little person" dwarf squirrel... lol not sure how to say it without offending anyone.
    I see tons of this kind but what I googled dwarf squirrel I didnt see anything familiar. So I think you were right with Fox. Her mom was pretty big !
    Not sure you would see dwarf squirrel.
    Have you googled fox squirrel or young fox squirrel?

Edit: You have two great offers from Chicklegs and Mel, both of them
    have little dwarf squirrels. They can help you with foods to try etc.
    Both are extemely helpful.
    Let me find the links to these babies, and you can do some research as well.
    Oh their life spans are quite short as well.
    One of the huge downsides, as they take
    your heart completely.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

DarkLies212 (10-20-2016), Mel1959 (10-20-2016)

I only found 2 pics of dwarf squirrels one is from Japan the other is just a tiny tiny one that looks nothing like her.
    She's definitely a little Fox 😊

Some call them dwarf and some downs, but I doubt you will
    find many pictures other than on this board.

Two links to check out:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...nt-until-later

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...y-is-different!

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-22-2016), Mel1959 (10-20-2016)

Mel's Joey is a very high functioning little guy but notice, she makes many accomodations for her boy. He has a well padded cage. My girls have a bin on a heating pad. They get bumble time but most of their time is spent sleeping in their bin (their choice as during the day it's on its side and they go in and out at will) Her Joey has a pretty darned extensive diet for a dwarf baby. My girls want nothing to do with anything different (unless it's a Frito) Joey has had extensive vet care from an amazing vet who knows dwarf squirrels. There is NO vet in my neck of the woods I would trust with the girls. My babies are pretty high functioning. My Kensington was low functioning. Our little neighborhood of dwarf moms and dads are likely to be more useful to you than a vet--unless your darling has a specific serious ailment. Mel asked an important question. These little guys need a LOT of attention. Your girl will want your love and care for many more hours than a rehab baby. My girls sleep most of the time but STILL want to be with me, on me, near me. They need to be checked on frequently. Up for that challenge?

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Mel1959 (10-20-2016)

She loves cuddling up to my neck and she makes these little clicking sounds and I make them back and we "talk" to eachother. Haha
    I've got no problem taking care of her and once we get everything sorted with her pee and on some sort of steady feeding schedule she will do just fine. I was hoping I could build her a nice tall climbing enclosure that she could have fun in but time will tell if I'll be able to. For now shes content in her rabbit cage. Always starts bouncing around when she gets put back like a woohoo Im home lol
    Her appetite is slowly coming back she had a full 10ml syringe of her new formula mixed with extra calcium and her antibiotics this morning. I'm just unsure of how else I could get the calcium into her when she just wants to nibble on something. Leigh from Henry's said to mix it in with peanutbutter and make 5 little balls out of it, but 500mg to a full tablespoon doesnt get it tacky enough to ball up. Alot less peanutbutter I guess can be used.

Might be challenging at times but this is going to be a awesome journey and Im so happy we found her

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JayB from:

Nancy in New York (10-20-2016)

Might be challenging at times but this is going to be a awesome journey and Im so happy we found her

So am I.
    You have once special little girl there!

Dwarf Foxer!?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

JayB (10-20-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    Dwarf Foxer!?
    Looks that way yep 😊

Very excited Jay. You have a very unique special baby there.

Question? Is this the first Dwarf Fox squirrel on TSB? What about Peepers from Ohio? Was she a flxer? I think Jesse might be the first.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

JayB (10-20-2016), Nancy in New York (10-20-2016)

Jay I am grinning ear to ear! You are a GOOD dwarf daddy! Her diet will take some work and be forewarned--just because she looooooooves something today doesn't mean she'll give it a "phhhhhhhht" tomorrow. My girls live on lemon poppyseed muffins heavy sprinkle of whey protein, maybe some yummy fruit veggie babyfood on top (but not too much) and doused in formula--half and half Fox Valley20/50/ Esbilac. The both love Fritos or corn chips but won't eat corn. Sometimes they'll snack on Honey Nut Cheerios or Rice Chex. Punkin likes the occasional taste of avocado and dandilion buds. At one time they, specially Punkin, loooooved cheesy eggs. Occasionally Punkin will occasionally taste a carefully prepared omlet. Good thing my possum girls like eggs. Every now and then one or the other will slurp down some formula. Usually, "eeeeeeeeeent"! They both drink from a water bottle. YAY! Punkin is old at a year and a half. She has what can only be referred to as "dwarf edema"--they seem to get a weird "pudginess" as they age and it looks like edema. Punkin's fur is kind of patchy now and her hands and feet have no fur--likely from walking through her food dish at night. My girls do most of their eating and drinking at night. Dunno why. Always did. I hear them slurping and drinking all night long (their bin is right beside the bed). Jessie is a miracle and I'm sooooooooo glad she is YOUR miracle!

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

JayB (10-20-2016), Mel1959 (10-20-2016), Nancy in New York (10-20-2016)

Yesterday morning I woke up to her drinking from her water bowl she's never done that before & maybe just noticed it was even in there lol. But she loved it & had a humungus pee after lol
    Is a dripper bottle preferred over a water bowl/dish ? I'm not sure she would drink from a dripper but we do have one if its recommended.
    EDIT: Oh & she loves licking my hands is it the salt she's after ? I do have a mineral/salt block in her enclosure and have noticed teeth marks on it..

She loves cuddling up to my neck and she makes these little clicking sounds and I make them back and we "talk" to eachother. Haha
    I've got no problem taking care of her and once we get everything sorted with her pee and on some sort of steady feeding schedule she will do just fine. I was hoping I could build her a nice tall climbing enclosure that she could have fun in but time will tell if I'll be able to. For now shes content in her rabbit cage. Always starts bouncing around when she gets put back like a woohoo Im home lol
    Her appetite is slowly coming back she had a full 10ml syringe of her new formula mixed with extra calcium and her antibiotics this morning. I'm just unsure of how else I could get the calcium into her when she just wants to nibble on something. Leigh from Henry's said to mix it in with peanutbutter and make 5 little balls out of it, but 500mg to a full tablespoon doesnt get it tacky enough to ball up. Alot less peanutbutter I guess can be used.

If Jesse is a dwarf and her problem isn't MBD, is it best to continue with the high levels of calcium? I don't know. Joey gets one drop of liquid calcium a day ( or every other day) because his calcium to phosphorous ratio was low, but that was determined by blood work. I never would have known otherwise.

As for feeding....Joey gets fed Fox Valley 20/50 with Fox Valley Ultraboost added to it. 50/50 formula and Ultraboost. It has helped him gain weight. He also gets fed a multitude of baby food formulations, including baby food chicken and turkey, all via syringe. He will eat chicken, sugar snap peas, cheddar bay garlic biscuits and occasionally eggs, Cheetos or pancake by himself. One thing the vet told me was whatever he would eat, feed it to him. You don't have to be nearly as concerned about the healthy diet pyramid, but I give him his healthy food by syringe, so I know he's getting an adequate amount.

On Oct. 23rd I will have had him for a year. It's been quite an amazing journey.

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chickenlegs (10-20-2016), JayB (10-20-2016), Nancy in New York (10-20-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Very excited Jay. You have a very unique special baby there.

Question? Is this the first Dwarf Fox squirrel on TSB? What about Peepers from Ohio? Was she a flxer? I think Jesse might be the first.

Peepers from Ohio was a grey, I had to go back and double check.

I do believe Jessie is the first Dwarf Fox Squirrel on TSB and we've been here for 10 years!

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

HRT4SQRLS (10-20-2016), JayB (10-20-2016), Mel1959 (10-20-2016)

I would not give MBD levels of Calcium (ie 500mg+ daily). More like a normal weekly supplement to offset the odd diets that Dwarfs consume!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If Jesse is a dwarf and her problem isn't MBD, is it best to continue with the high levels of calcium? I don't know. Joey gets one drop of liquid calcium a day ( or every other day) because his calcium to phosphorous ratio was low, but that was determined by blood work. I never would have known otherwise.

As for feeding....Joey gets fed Fox Valley 20/50 with Fox Valley Ultraboost added to it. 50/50 formula and Ultraboost. It has helped him gain weight. He also gets fed a multitude of baby food formulations, including baby food chicken and turkey, all via syringe. He will eat chicken, sugar snap peas, cheddar bay garlic biscuits and occasionally eggs, Cheetos or pancake by himself. One thing the vet told me was whatever he would eat, feed it to him. You don't have to be nearly as concerned about the healthy diet pyramid, but I give him his healthy food by syringe, so I know he's getting an adequate amount.

On Oct. 23rd I will have had him for a year. It's been quite an amazing journey.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

island rehabber (10-23-2016), Mel1959 (10-20-2016)

I didnt know they could,should or would eat any kind of meat/eggs but I guess protein is protein & if they like it why not..
    I've read some squirrels will eat grub worms & little bugs but didnt know Foxes would.

I didnt know they could,should or would eat any kind of meat/eggs but I guess protein is protein & if they like it why not..
    I've read some squirrels will eat grub worms & little bugs but didnt know Foxes would.

A fox squirrel is still a squirrel.
    You have a squirrel, not a fox.

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (10-23-2016), JayB (10-20-2016), Scott (10-20-2016)

She's been doin this for about 15 minutes lol
    Just doin laps around the bed lol
    https://youtu.be/ZSH1NIfoCjQ

Oh my gosh--Punkin runs circles too. DWARFS RULE

Um--this dollie needs to go to the nursery--or special needs! She needs her own special thread with her own special name

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

JayB (10-20-2016), Nancy in New York (10-20-2016)

Should I put some natural twigs in her cage to chew on ? We've got a couple big willow trees I could snap some little branches from. And what about the leaves..?
    Just trying to make things a little more "homey" for her
    She doesnt seem to want to eat her formula =\ She will in the mornings around 10mls but the rest of the day its nearly impossible to get it into her..
    She also wont eat her blocks I'm scared shes not eating enough at all..I read that I can soak the blocks in formula or is it soak them in water..?
    Thank you

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast